View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radfoj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] kde-3.5.3: lock session doesnt work Reply with quote

Hi,

just realized, that pressing "lock session" from Kmenu in KDE-3.5.3 is causing error message in small dialog. Not sure how exactly it is in EN, but it tells me something like this: "Session cant be locked, becouse it will not be possible unlock it then. Sreen module for login wasnt set"

Something weird and similar happens, after pressing Logout > End current session. Again warning message about non-existing or unset screen module and it gives me back to plain konsole (like switching with ctrl+alt+Fn) and /etc/init.d/xdm restart/start doesn bring me to kdm anymore.

My kdm is set to autologin me, without password, so after rebooting, I am back in KDE. Things like Logout > Shutdown/Restart works without glitch, only logout and see KDM or lock my session doesnt work anymore.

Any hint, what problem should it be related? Anything to rebuild? What? Checked logs without anything related, I think. Thanks

EDITED: Also checked login to another user from Kmenu (quick switch > new session ) and on another virtual terminal, only small box with message "Module for login screen wasnt loaded. Check settings".

Last edited by radfoj on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem in the past. I *think* the issue is that the locking works with a screen saver, so I *think* you need to have the kde-screen saver packages or something like that. Check that. I would also run a revdep-rebuild.
radfoj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batistuta, thanks for your feedback ... but it doesnt helped.

1) revdep-rebuild I am using regularly ... for sure I tried right now, but nothing broken was found

2) before your post, I had installed only kde-base/kscreensaver ... so I was able set only blank (black) one. Just tried emerge kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver, so now I have dozens of screensavers to choose. I picked one ...

but after pressing lock session - see what happened
radfoj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I solved my problem. My try to share the error message with you leads to switch my KDE to speak in english ... and this gives me important key - greeter plugin - for searching ... after reemerging kdesktop and kdm it start to work again. Who knows, what was the culprit :P

Thanks anyway
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: