DHCP client on boot and some more questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: DHCP client on boot and some more questions Reply with quote

hi!
I am using Gentoo, and want to know how can I make DHCP client run on boot ?
and also how can I make it not to overwrite my resolve.conf file? (I don't want him to get DNS server from the router)
also, its an offtopic but Why can't I find GCC 4.1 or 4.x in the Emerge?
and anthor qeustion, I am using Gentoo kernel 2.6.16 ,isn't there 2.6.17? How can I get testing or unstalbe things from the emerge?
and at boot, How can I change my screen resultion? I have tried adding the vga=" xxx" but didn't work, How to do it well?
and by deafult wich flags should I use in my OS? (I know its a strength question, but give me some good deafult flags please 8) )
:?:
circus-killer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: DHCP client on boot and some more questions Reply with quote

EAD wrote:
hi!
and also how can I make it not to overwrite my resolve.conf file? (I don't want him to get DNS server from the router)
and anthor qeustion, I am using Gentoo kernel 2.6.16 ,isn't there 2.6.17? How can I get testing or unstalbe things from the emerge?
and at boot, How can I change my screen resultion? I have tried adding the vga=" xxx" but didn't work, How to do it well?
and by deafult wich flags should I use in my OS? (I know its a strength question, but give me some good deafult flags please 8) )

okay, if you havent already emerged the dhcp client do so by "emerge -av dhcpcd". once the dhcp client is instaled, to make it start at boot, just "rc-update add dhcpcd default".
not sure how/if you can make the client not overwrite resolv.conf, or if it even does so.

to get unstable/testing packages working, such as gcc 4.1 or kernel 2.6.17, you need to enable the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flag in your /etc/make.conf. you can also ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for individual packages.

for more info: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3

i find the following article to be a good "guide" to follow, although you might wanna do some reading up about cflags: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

the next link is for gensplash/fbsplash, however, if you look in the grub/lilo configuration section, you will see what to add to get better resolution. also check you kernel configuration. http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash

and in future, reading wont kill you, and as you can see, theres documentation on just about anything you could possibly want to do.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: DHCP client on boot and some more questions Reply with quote

circus-killer wrote:
EAD wrote:
hi!

okay, if you havent already emerged the dhcp client do so by "emerge -av dhcpcd". once the dhcp client is instaled, to make it start at boot, just "rc-update add dhcpcd default".
not sure how/if you can make the client not overwrite resolv.conf, or if it even does so.

to get unstable/testing packages working, such as gcc 4.1 or kernel 2.6.17, you need to enable the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flag in your /etc/make.conf. you can also ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for individual packages.

for more info: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3

i find the following article to be a good "guide" to follow, although you might wanna do some reading up about cflags: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

the next link is for gensplash/fbsplash, however, if you look in the grub/lilo configuration section, you will see what to add to get better resolution. also check you kernel configuration. http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash

and in future, reading wont kill you, and as you can see, theres documentation on just about anything you could possibly want to do.

Tanx a lot!
Yes there is a -N or something for dhcpcd client for not getting DNS, so I know what to do here.
I love reading and want to read, I just not allways find where to read the usfull info.
about the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS , I have tried it and got some errors, what can it be?
and how can I make emerge use unstable and testing for all kind of sources?
circus-killer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i understand your question correctly, you want to enable the testing branch for all your packages. thats as simple as having ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" in your /etc/make.conf. also, when asking question regarding errors, paste the error messages. but with the testing branch you must expect to have some issues here and there, that is why its on marked as stable.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

circus-killer wrote:
if i understand your question correctly, you want to enable the testing branch for all your packages. thats as simple as having ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" in your /etc/make.conf.

amm ok cool.
Gentoo donesn't have Unstable as well?
and,I know about Cflags, I meant where I can find good example of the use flags like "kde -gnome" and so on
circus-killer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the zillionth f-ing time, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" enables testing/unstable packages for your architecture. if you want a stable system, dont use the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flag.

as for the use flasgs, i recommend you run emerge -av ufed and run "ufed".

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

circus-killer wrote:
for the zillionth f-ing time, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" enables testing/unstable packages for your architecture. if you want a stable system, dont use the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS flag.

as for the use flasgs, i recommend you run emerge -av ufed and run "ufed".

Why are you using -av in the emerge?
What is it?
why not just emerge ufed ?
Spherical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-av means --ask --verbose, the ask is just handy, and the verbose feature tells you which options are gonna be included in the emerge build. So you can check if it's gonna be emerged correctly.

This feature proves its use when emerging KDE, and there's no USE="samba" in the verbose list... I had that problem, which meant I did not have support for samba...
circus-killer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the v stands for verbose, which will show you the use flags used and the amount of megabytes to be downloaded. the a stands for ask, which will ask you Yes or No if you want to continue with the emerge. both are just good practice but not vital to the emerge. however, i highly recommend you read the gentoo handbook, specifically looking at the portage section.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circus-killer wrote:
the v stands for verbose, which will show you the use flags used and the amount of megabytes to be downloaded. the a stands for ask, which will ask you Yes or No if you want to continue with the emerge. both are just good practice but not vital to the emerge. however, i highly recommend you read the gentoo handbook, specifically looking at the portage section.

I have read it.
Is there a place where I can read all the deatils about Emerge?
and yes -v is verbos, I should have known this,
Tanx.
beside, the Hand boos is nice, but I want more up to deep deatils.
Where can I find it? :?:
circus-killer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, as i said, the handbook is very useful. but there is no one source for documentation. there is just too much documentation out there. but whatever info you looking for, you will easily be able to google it. for example, if you wanna know how to install xgl, just google "gentoo xgl howto". if its a problem with fbsplash you having, just google "gentoo fbsplash howto". now i know what, you thinking, you want me to tell you where you can find all information and documentation. but as i said, theres no one place, there are different versions of different guides maintained by different people. if researching isnt for you, then neither is gentoo. you gonna have to be willing to look for info yourself. but luckily, as stated earlier, there is just so much out there that you shouldnt have any trouble finding solutions using google.
hope you have better days.

laters.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
Spherical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the details about emerge can be found in
# man emerge
:)

if that's what you mean...
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spherical wrote:
All the details about emerge can be found in
# man emerge
:)

if that's what you mean...

Yep I know tha man. isn't there a wiki or something with more explantion?
and, when I install Gentoo kerenl it didn't used ininrd or some kind of ram disk, is that better? and how if I should enable it?
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAD wrote:
and, when I install Gentoo kerenl it didn't used ininrd or some kind of ram disk, is that better? and how if I should enable it?

you may want to read

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Kernel_Configuration
http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/Kernel_manuell_kompilieren (sorry, german only but not to hard to translate)
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think4UrS11 wrote:
EAD wrote:

you may want to read

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Kernel_Configuration
http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/Kernel_manuell_kompilieren (sorry, german only but not to hard to translate)

TANX !!!!
I love the 3'rd link
here
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fde.gentoo-wiki.com%2fKernel_manuell_kompilieren#Processor_type_and_features

Is there more?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: