View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: XDirectFB and Virtual Terminals Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I have gotten XDirectFB working with Fluxbox, and I gotta tell ya, it is pretty spiffy! :D

BUT

I do have a question for anyone who might have some insight on this: How do you change virtual terminals when XDirectFB is up? Ctrl+Alt+F# doesn't do it any more! Or is this simply not an option when running this XDirectFB? I have searched the forums up and down for this as well as google and the XDirectFB home site and I could find no mention of this phenomenon.

Interestingly enough, I have also noticed that my numlock, scrolllock and capslock leds on my keyboard do not work either when running XDirectFB. They keys still work, but the lights indicating they are activated do not.

It is also definitely slower than regular X, especially on startup. Will this improve if I buy a nicer graphics card?

Thanks!
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I don't believe you can switch virtual terminals from XDirectFB. As for speed, it's not so much a nicer card as much as a better supported card. The Matrox Gxxx series are really well supported and Xdirectfb runs great on mine. Nvidia cards, however, are just barely supported.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

I don't suppose you know how to switch between vt's? (Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller...?)

As far as the card goes, that figures. I have a geforce4 4600ti for my new system :( .
Oh well.. I guess there are other advantages to this card.

Thanks.
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching virtual terminals is still experimental and might not work correcty with directfb applications (such as xdirectfb). You might try editing the directfbrc file (either /etc/directfbrc or ~/.directfbrc) and put in the line "vt-switching".
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

I tried that and I get no change. I get not complaints either when I start it up so I am not sure what is going on.

Is that a different key-combo for switching vt's?
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain. I don't use xdirectfb myself, since I upgraded to a GeForce4 Ti4200. It might just be that it's not possible to switch virtual terminals with xdirectfb at all.
BarryJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if anyone is still trying to do this, but it works for me now! Just use Alt+F1, etc... If you're using links then the vt you want to switch back to is 7 (just like if it were an X Server).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: