View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Samsung ML-1210 Reply with quote

Does anyone who uses this printer with GDI have it working? Have been using this printer with Gentoo for four years. An "emerge world -u" killed it, for now I get the useless CUPS error messages. I now try to set it up with the ppd from foomatic-db. Accoring to the listing at linuxprinting.org http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-1210:
Quote:
Doesn't work under Gentoo But Does under Fedora Core 5
Note that under Gentoo 2006.0 with Cups 1.2 that this driver fails to function.
Problem is suspected due to LPD/LPRG not being compatible with Gentoo
Installation methodology.

I do have cups 1.1.23 installed, but it's the latest according to my system. Does anyone with an ML-1210 and a recently updated system have this working? I'm not looking for help, just wondering if anyone has a ML-1210 (or ML-1750?) working? Thanks!
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have mine connected directly to the Linux box anymore, but it is shared on my Windows box and I can still print to it from Linux.
(Shouldn't matter that it is connected to Windows machine, uses the same driver before sending to raw data to the printer.)
twstd3bc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
I don't have mine connected directly to the Linux box anymore, but it is shared on my Windows box and I can still print to it from Linux.
(Shouldn't matter that it is connected to Windows machine, uses the same driver before sending to raw data to the printer.)

Are you using the ppd from foomatic-db, or did you just download it from linuxprinting.prg? Can you say what version of cups you are using?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twstd3bc wrote:
Are you using the ppd from foomatic-db, or did you just download it from linuxprinting.prg? Can you say what version of cups you are using?

Using the ppd from foomatic and cups-1.1.23-r8. The ppd and apps from the samsung driver were faster than the foomatic equivalents, but they were too much of a hassle and don't work with newer libraries anyways.
WildChild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung just updated all their printer drivers with the Linux Unified Printers Driver. This one works with CUPS 1.2 and is less difficult to install than the old one. The problems I had with the new driver is that the printer add wizard doesn't works and the 1200x600 DPI resolution of my ML-2010 is screwed. I've talked to a Samsung representative and he sent me an another updated version with a working printer add dialog but the resolution problem isn't solved! I hope the development of this new version will be continued as it seems the driver is really getting better! By the way, I've asked them if they plan an open source driver for their printers so it could be integrated with an open source drivers database that would be updates following CUPS updates and would be included in most distributions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: