NOFORCE 2 (i810) and alsa
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegiorgio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: NOFORCE 2 (i810) and alsa Reply with quote

I recently switched to alsa on my ABIT NF7-S board because OSS gives me a very very crappy sound....

The sound with ALSA is good but It is the classic bug, only one app with sound at a time.

I mean, i launch mplayer and then xmms, xmms freezes until I quit mplayer etc....
I heard about ALSA software mixing features but while it works with aplay ( the ALSA sound player ), I can't pass the plug:dmix parameter to mplayer for example or any other apps.

It is frustrating because the NFORCE2 audio is such a good chip with more than 64 wave channels in hardware ( no need to do software mixing )...

Has Anyone been able to set up software mixing with alsa for every app or is it possible to use the hardware mixing with ALSA, OSS ?
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intel8x0 doesn't support hardware mixing :( . Must use software. I haven't got it working since I do not like ESD. (EsounD)
keenan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware mixing works fine, as does ESD (though I don't like using it) on my emu10k1 with OSS or ALSA. Just fire up Gnome or KDE and use their sound server for output. I believe SDL can do it (mplayer), and xmms has plugins for most of them.
fidler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenan wrote:
Hardware mixing works fine, as does ESD (though I don't like using it) on my emu10k1 with OSS or ALSA. Just fire up Gnome or KDE and use their sound server for output. I believe SDL can do it (mplayer), and xmms has plugins for most of them.

Unfortunately intel8x0 doesn't support hardware mixing.... emu10k1 might, but intel8x0 doesn't... If not inform me how ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: