Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Unusual X behavior - adding another video card (w/Xinerama)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aBryce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Unusual X behavior - adding another video card (w/Xinerama) Reply with quote

I have had a working Xorg installation with dual heads on a single (Matrox) AGP card. All is well with them.
I recently aquired a third LCD monitor and decided to add it. I have a free PCI slot, so I added another video card there. It's a Savage IX, nothing fancy at all but it has 8 MB of VRAM and thus should be able to support 1280x1024 resolution with 24 bit color.

Anyway, I put the new card in my xorg.conf:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Savage"
    BusID "PCI:3:10:0"
    Driver "savage"
EndSection

And added a new screen and updated the xinerama screen layout thing to include the new screen.
I startx'd, and the system hung. The old monitors went blank (but still active - just displaying nothing), the new monitor did nothing at all.
The system was not responsive, but I was able to use control-alt-delete to reboot.
The behavior was the same for X -configure, as well. (I naturally assumed that I had configured it by hand incorrectly.)

I have tried with other video cards (using approprate or generic Drivers), in the same slot, with the same results.
I've looked at other triple-head PCI/AGP configurations similar to mine and can't seem to find any substantial difference.

Thanks for your help. If you require additional information, don't hesistate to ask.

#define struct union
aBryce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried making the PCI card the primary one in the bios. This seemed like it would work, at first, but it doesn't... the system starts and runs but the monitor attached to the pci card (previously showing the linux console) doesn't show anything, one of my (identical!) lcd monitors also goes blank and says "out of range" and the other shows jumbled garbage (that looks like some kind of video card misbehavior, e.g. flickering and random data.)

If it helps, the last line in the X log is "(II) Truncating PCI BIOS Length to 53248"

Also, the computer, while apparently hung, is not in fact crashed after the above (both posts) described malfunctions. It will still accept ssh logins, shut down gracefully, etc. Killing X does not fix it however, and it apparently needs to be restarted before the (USB) mouse and keyboard, as well as console, come out of limbo.

#define struct union
aBryce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

#define struct union
aBryce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: hardware conflict? Reply with quote

Is it likely this is a hardware conflict/problem?

#define struct union
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: