Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming?? (Part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoKo wrote:
Hi,

I've recently installed e17-cvs and I have a question: Is it possible to have gadgets out of shelves? I'm asking this because I can't change the size of the gadgets inside a shelf, I can only alter the length...

It is not possible to have gadgets not in a shelf.

The only way to increase the "width" of a gadget is to increase the width of the shelf in the shelf config. As you know, you can then alter the length of a given gadget within the shelf.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoKo:No, it is no longer possible to have gadgets outside of shelves. You need to resize the shelf itself to change the vertical dimensions of the gadget. Also, right-click the gadget in question and make sure that 'Able to be resized' is checked.
[EDIT:] You can also make as many shelves as you like, and make them transparent. Then you can position them on any of the four edges of your desktop, in any of 3 positions (left/top, middle, right/bottom) on a given edge. Not quite as cool as being able to position them anywhere you like, though.

Disparu: I updated e_modules right after reading your post, and had no problems at all. I've seen some of the errors that you posted before, and it turned out to be a problem with gcc. Do other packages compile OK?
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
JoKo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick replies, keyser_soze and UberPinguin.

I have yet another quick question: Is there any module for tray icons?

I thought Engage would offer such a thing, but I even can't find Engage...

Edit: Engage wasn't emerging using the e17update.sh script, so I had to emerge it on my own...
Disparu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
JoKo:No, it is no longer possible to have gadgets outside of shelves. You need to resize the shelf itself to change the vertical dimensions of the gadget. Also, right-click the gadget in question and make sure that 'Able to be resized' is checked.
[EDIT:] You can also make as many shelves as you like, and make them transparent. Then you can position them on any of the four edges of your desktop, in any of 3 positions (left/top, middle, right/bottom) on a given edge. Not quite as cool as being able to position them anywhere you like, though.

Disparu: I updated e_modules right after reading your post, and had no problems at all. I've seen some of the errors that you posted before, and it turned out to be a problem with gcc. Do other packages compile OK?

yeah everything invloving enlightenment seems to compile fine except e_modules
keyser_soze
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoKo wrote:

Edit: Engage wasn't emerging using the e17update.sh script, so I had to emerge it on my own...

not that I know of.

But you can use lightweight app. trayer it is in portage. I have used it and it is not too bad. not as cool as an e17 one though.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyser_soze wrote:
JoKo wrote:

not that I know of.

But you can use lightweight app. trayer it is in portage. I have used it and it is not too bad. not as cool as an e17 one though.

iBox provides what I think you are looking for (minimized apps appear as icons in a little scrolling box, very similar to iBar/engage). Ultimately, there is not any great likelihood of e17 getting a systray though:
get-e.org FAQ wrote:
Does E17 have systray support ?

No, there will be no tray icon support in E17 until the systray icon standard is changed.
Carsten 'Rasterman' Haitzler wrote:

"The Systray specification that somehow users seem to ask for and applications seem to use that is specified here primarily, is not as nice as you may think. It is in fact rather ugly and limited. It leads to awful interfaces and inconsistent behavior and display."

For the full text of this article, along with a screenshot, please see Rasterman.com.

Most people end up using trayer or engage.

You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have E17 running (just updated the core today, even faster than ever.. flies on a 5 year laptop, which is more than impressive...), and the only thing I really wish I had was engage... had it long ago, but now I can't seem to build it, every time the build fails on examine, which is a dependency for it..

here is the failure:

Code:

examine-examine_client.o: In function `examine_client_get_val_cb':
examine_client.c:(.text+0x32f): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x33f): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_set'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x37a): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x38a): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_set'
examine-examine_client.o: In function `examine_client_revert':
examine_client.c:(.text+0x4f8): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x504): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_set'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x5dd): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine_client.c:(.text+0x5ed): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_set'
examine-examine.o: In function `draw_tree':
examine.c:(.text+0x580): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x58c): undefined reference to `ewl_range_step_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x5a5): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x5b6): undefined reference to `ewl_range_minimum_value_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x5be): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x5cf): undefined reference to `ewl_range_maximum_value_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x7c2): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x7ce): undefined reference to `ewl_range_minimum_value_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x7e0): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x818): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x824): undefined reference to `ewl_range_step_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x83f): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x84f): undefined reference to `ewl_range_minimum_value_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x865): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x875): undefined reference to `ewl_range_maximum_value_set'
examine.c:(.text+0x89c): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0x8ac): undefined reference to `ewl_range_step_set'
examine-examine.o: In function `cb_set_float':
examine.c:(.text+0xccb): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0xcd3): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_get'
examine-examine.o: In function `cb_set_int':
examine.c:(.text+0xcfb): undefined reference to `EWL_RANGE'
examine.c:(.text+0xd03): undefined reference to `ewl_range_value_get'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [examine] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/portage/tmp/portage/examine-9999/work/e17/apps/
examine/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/portage/tmp/portage/examine-9999/work/e17/apps/
examine'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I first tried to build it over a month ago, same exact failure, and I see some people have it running, and have built it within that time period, so I refuse to accept that the code is simply broken.... for what it is worth, I have eet evas edje embryo ecore and e built with a date of today, I'm not sure what else could be breaking examine, but any advice is welcome...
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ewl installed?
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
Do you have ewl installed?

yes.

I just emerged (well, am currently emerging) e_modules, which includes engage, so it seems that the ebuild for engage is now only the standalone version (which is broken)... which means the docs are behind, as usual (usually it says that that one will build standalone if you dont have e17, and build module if you do)...

so that may resolve my problem- that I was trying to emerge the standalone version... now as long as e_modules emerges properly I may be set...
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, new problem. e_modules fails, in calendar (can provide the error if necessary), but my question is, can I only build certain modules? I don't want or need calendar, how can I selectively disable it in the build... so that it can succeed, possibly?
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killfire wrote:
ok, new problem. e_modules fails, in calendar (can provide the error if necessary), but my question is, can I only build certain modules? I don't want or need calendar, how can I selectively disable it in the build... so that it can succeed, possibly?

There's a modified ebuild earlier in this thread that will allow you to utilize USE flags to control which modules are built, as there are a few that are still written with the old API.
The FAQ on get-e.org answers most of the questions you are asking - the engage module is currently broken, with no ETA on a fix. The standalone engage was updated to work with the current API, so if you really need/want engage that is the way to go. I don't use it myself, though. It's possible that engage is not in sync with the current ewl, though, which would explain why it's not building for you.

PS: the link in your .sig is broken.
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
killfire wrote:

There's a modified ebuild earlier in this thread that will allow you to utilize USE flags to control which modules are built, as there are a few that are still written with the old API.
The FAQ on get-e.org answers most of the questions you are asking - the engage module is currently broken, with no ETA on a fix. The standalone engage was updated to work with the current API, so if you really need/want engage that is the way to go. I don't use it myself, though. It's possible that engage is not in sync with the current ewl, though, which would explain why it's not building for you.

PS: the link in your .sig is broken.

hmm, well I guess I went in a large circle. I've read the faq but the docs seem to be generally sparce and since development is happening I thought perhaps things had changed. Also, since people did have engage building here I figured perhaps something had changed, which apparently it hasnt. still have the problem with engage, but perhaps will find a newer version of ewl (not on cvs right now I don't think), and try that out. or just wait...
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewl is in cvs. Are you using the non-cvs ewl? Perhaps that's where your problem lies?
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
ewl is in cvs. Are you using the non-cvs ewl? Perhaps that's where your problem lies?

I'm doing that now, perhaps it will fix the problem. thanks for the help- I must have missed it in the package.keywords file, and since there was a non -* version, it didn't complain.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. You might double-check your package.keywords. There are a few other e17 dependencies that have bot CVS and non-CVS ebuilds as well.
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that did it. with the cvs ewl examine and then engage built. it is still too buggy though, to be really useful... for some reason I remember it as being better. so goes memory. hopefully the devs will fix up the e_modules version to be quite excellent. Ibar is almost there for me, but still a few things bother me...
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killfire wrote:
that did it. with the cvs ewl examine and then engage built. it is still too buggy though, to be really useful... for some reason I remember it as being better. so goes memory. hopefully the devs will fix up the e_modules version to be quite excellent. Ibar is almost there for me, but still a few things bother me...

Yeah, I really liked engage at first, but it was too buggy and inconsistent for me. I've gotten used to ibar, though. It doesn't have everything I liked about engage, but I've learned to live without the little orbiting icons for minimized windows. To be honest, I really miss being able to put gadgets wherever-the-heck I felt like putting them. I thought that was really cool. I guess the shelf is easier to work with from a programming perspective.
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm trying to install for the first time e17.
I emerge the CVS versions and I get an error with the evas package:
Code:
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:100: error: conflicting types for 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data'
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.h:8: error: previous declaration of 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data' was here
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:100: error: conflicting types for 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data'
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.h:8: error: previous declaration of 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data' was here
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:108: error: conflicting types for 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_copied_data'
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.h:13: error: previous declaration of 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_copied_data' was here
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:108: error: conflicting types for 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_copied_data'
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.h:13: error: previous declaration of 'evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_copied_data' was here
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c: In function `evas_engine_directfb_image_data_put':
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:238: error: too few arguments to function `evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data'

The problem comes from a wrong declaration in the H file regarding what is in the C file.
My question might seem noob but if I change the code and then re-emerge it, it will be overwritten... so how can I change it permanently? Or do I have to wait for someone to change it in the E CVS?

Thanks for your help.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to install for the first time e17.
I emerge the CVS versions and I get an error with the evas package:
Code:
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c: In function `evas_engine_directfb_image_data_put':
evas_engine_dfb_image_objects.c:238: error: too few arguments to function `evas_engine_directfb_image_new_from_data'

The problem comes from a wrong declaration in the H file regarding what is in the C file.
My question might seem noob but if I change the code and then re-emerge it, it will be overwritten... so how can I change it permanently? Or do I have to wait for someone to change it in the E CVS?

Thanks for your help.

My recommendation would be to make sure that you have thoroughly and properly followed all of the steps, in the correct order, to be sure that the correct versions of all of the correct libraries are available and built correctly.
If, after doing that, you still have problems, your best bet is to wait a day or two. Unless, of course, you feel really comfortable with diving into the code and creating a patch for your fix. If you do that, please send your patch to vapier@g.o (gentoo.org). In the mean time, you can use 'ECVS_OFFLINE=1' to force portage to use your already-downloaded (and altered) code instead of fetching it from the CVS repository.
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
My recommendation would be to make sure that you have thoroughly and properly followed all of the steps, in the correct order, to be sure that the correct versions of all of the correct libraries are available and built correctly.

Well, I followed the few steps from the Howto on the Gentoo Wiki, but I'm stopped at the "Emerge" chapter as the evas package doesn't want to compile.
Are there any other recommendations to follow besides this howto?

Thanks for your help.
Disparu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
UberPinguin wrote:

Well, I followed the few steps from the Howto on the Gentoo Wiki, but I'm stopped at the "Emerge" chapter as the evas package doesn't want to compile.
Are there any other recommendations to follow besides this howto?

Thanks for your help.

best bet it to use one of the compile scripts out there that will fetch and build everything you need.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise you against using/compiling the directfb engine. I think it is not quite maintained anymore. There was a comment about this on the e-devel mailing list.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I would advise you against using/compiling the directfb engine. I think it is not quite maintained anymore. There was a comment about this on the e-devel mailing list.

hmmm... Maybe I should start paying more attention to e-develop instead of sitting blind out here in the Darkness ;)
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ppurka: yeap, I just saw it a couple of minutes ago and tried it with removing the USE flag directfb and it worked!
Maybe keeping an eye on this, and even removing this flag could be a good idea as they say that it will probably not maintained anymore?
...wait and see :)
gaelic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

just 1 or 2 short questions.

1. anybody got a working 'icon search directory'? for example: '/usr/share/enlightenment/data/icons'. if i put the filename into a desktop file it's not displaying the icon. only when using the full path.

2. i wan't to use the language modules. but i can't choose a language. the selection field is empty. is there a missing package (xkbd stuff?).

thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: