Drexel Gentoo Users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Drexel Gentoo Users Reply with quote

Im going to Drexel next year and im wondering how many Gentooers are at Drexel. Also how easy or hard is it to run purely Gentoo there?
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about Drexel gentoo scene but west philly is a very cool place. The mayor was trying to install free wireless all over the whole city. All the trollys and trains are so nice. It is right next to Tempel, PCC and Penn so you will be surounded by computer sci freaks I am shure.
If you are in to culture, food, not being stuck in a car, history or architecture man it is incredable nothing like it on the west coast.
Good choice.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh im from the nyc area but never really went to philly. Did you goto Drexel? How did you like it?
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I never went to collage I lived in the area until I was 24 apprenticing the electrical trade there. I lived between drexel and the art museum for a coupple of years. Philly has some very old traditions, like the mummers parade, and closing down west river drive ( a 4 lane highway) for bikes, joggers, walkers on weekends, lots of community gardens, cobbelstone streets (they pull up all the stones to fix a pipe and just put them back down when they are done), pirate FM radio station still is there, oh and squatting (there used to be urban blight there and gutter punks started living in empty buildings and some how took them over by paying back taxes and kept them now they are worth millions). I guess it depends what you are into. If you like living a normal main stream life in new buildings you will have a hard time, all the new stuff is built to look and feel old. Nothing is normal in west philly. If you like to live cheap you can live in the furthur out neighborhoods like the 48th and Baltimore AV area.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im living in the Drexel dorms which are newish. Im not sure where im gona live next year, I might get a place it depends on the price of living plus transportation. Philly seems like a great place, I dont mind old buildings just as long as I can use my tech toys :D. Philly seems like a fun place.
Quatrerwin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of 2 people who use Gentoo over at Drexel... I'll show them the thread
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itd be nice to know how far I can bend the rules though. Id love to run a CUPS and NFS server on my desktop for my laptop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: