Glibc problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Glibc problem Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a kind of a big problem. Half of my apps (example kaffeine, kopete, konversation) fail to work because of this one error
konversation: pthread_mutex_lock.c:80: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.

I've recompiled the program in question and recompiled glibc like 3 times, didn't help. Here's emerge info:
Portage 2.1.1_pre2-r8 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.2.0-alpha20060603/vanilla, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.17-no4 i686)
=================================================================
System Settings
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17-no4 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.1
app-admin/eselect-compiler: 2.0.0_rc2-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache: [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache: [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils: 2.17-r4
sys-devel/gcc-config: 2.0.0_rc1
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.17
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -frename-registers -fno-ident -fweb"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -frename-registers -fno-ident -fweb -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=both"
LINGUAS="en_GB"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X acpi alsa apm arts asf ati avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cairo cgi cli crypt dbus dlloader dri dvd eds emboss encode fam fastcgi ffmpeg foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 hal hashstyle imlib insecure-savers isdnlog java jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses nls noamazon nptl nptlonly nsplugin ogg opengl pam pcre pdflib perl png pppd python qt qt3 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl sse sse2 ssl tcpd threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb vorbis win32codecs xcomposite xml xorg xscreensaver xv xvid zlib elibc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux linguas_en_GB userland_GNU video_cards_radeon video_cards_fglrx video_cards_vesa"
Unset: CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Any ideas?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, no wonder:

Code:
gcc-4.2.0-alpha20060603

Your cflags and ldflags are not the safest ones either.

I doubt anyone will waste time here if you are using such unsafe settings and the latest gcc wich is still in alpha state, appart from being hardmasked by -* in portage... Maybe you should look into bugzilla instead.
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of that, but really you should agree that its highly unlikely that has to do anything with gcc
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it is fairly likely, actually, which is why that version of gcc is hardmasked and therefore not supported. Using --as-needed isn't supported yet either.

Moved from Portage & Programming to Unsupported Software.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eremini wrote:
I am aware of that, but really you should agree that its highly unlikely that has to do anything with gcc

Hehe, well, if you think so...

Actually, that error could be caused by the version of gcc and/or the ldflags. I dont think that cflags are an issue, but it is also possible.

If you failt to see why those errors could be related to gcc, you, clearly, do not have the knowledge to run an alpha prerelease of gcc. And you will be better by using stagle core components, or, at least, ~arch. As I said, anyway, that is not supported, and, unless willing to look in bugzilla, is will be difficult to get some help here.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build my entire world with --as-needed and it doesn't break a single package.

However, gcc-4.2.0 is pretty bug ridden. The gcc devs themselves consider it a pretty big regression from 4.1 at the moment.
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for not being a programmer, but of course you have a point. GCC builds glibc, hence the errors might crop in, I just didn't think of the obvious. New gcc 4.2 snapshot has been released, I'll emerge that, then recompile glibc with it, see what that did. If that still doesn't work I'll recompile glibc with 4.1 I haven't pruned. Sounds fine?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, if you're going to live on the bleeding edge with GCC, I'd consider looking into nesl's overlay for glibc and binutils.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eremini wrote:
Forgive me for not being a programmer, but of course you have a point. GCC builds glibc, hence the errors might crop in, I just didn't think of the obvious. New gcc 4.2 snapshot has been released, I'll emerge that, then recompile glibc with it, see what that did. If that still doesn't work I'll recompile glibc with 4.1 I haven't pruned. Sounds fine?

Nothing to forgive, if something breaks will be in your box... I mean, you dont just go and emerge it, you have to unmask it, and it is not even keyworded, but hard marked. You need to make some research to learn how to unmask a hard masked package.

I dont mind helping and I do it gladly, just want you to understand that such masked packages are there for a reason. And gcc/glibc are core pieces of the OS... Alpha's are pre-beta versions, they are unstable by nature, they are not even testing versions, but early devel snapshots. I would never put such a core alpha package in my system unless I am willing to debug some code. You can emerge e17 and if that fails it does not harm, couse it is just userland stuff, if it does fail, you can just remove it or leave it lying around, but the core of the system must have a minimal degree of stability. :)

Your plans above sounds right to me, but I would stay as far from hard masked stuff in which regards glibc and gcc. If you want to be updated, you can just put the packages in package.keywords or run with ~arch. I havent synced and I dont know how's the thing right now, but I would advice you to stay away from unstable hardmasked stuff in wich regards gcc and glibc.

Anyway, if you run into problems and your toolchain gets messed in between those compilations, you can save this link:

http://tobe.stylesyndication.com/linux/binaries.html

There you can find binary packages to restore gcc and glibc in case something gets really messed, those packages have been compiled in gentoo and tarred using quickpkg, so, dont worry about filling your hard disk with some crap. You can use those if the thing gets complicated, then select the right compiler from the binary package and then recompile 4.1.x using portage. From there, you can recompile the whole system (or at least the packages that are giving you those annoying errors).

I hope you can fix it easily :)
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks a lot for helping! I've been using gentoo for 2 years, so I know how hard masking works ;) I do understand and I am willing to take the risk (well I allready did i guess). Yeah the binaries are pretty usefull, I used them a couple of days ago, when my sys was completely messed, for some reason though they didn't work, but what worked is copying /lib from livecd to /mnt/gentoo/lib. But thats another story :)
An update: I compiled the new snapshot, recompiled glibc - no go. So now eselect compiler to gcc 4.1 and recompile glibc again :) Oh joy :)
eremini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, all solved it was gcc, rebuild glibc with 4.1 all good. Thanks a ton 6thpink.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that. I know how annoying can those errors be. Nice that they are gone at last :)
ericxx2005
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pthread_mutex_lock.c:80: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.

I just ran into the same problem. About 1/2 my apps were throwing that error. I fixed it by re-emerging glibc with gcc 4.1.1, and now i'm emerge -e system (x2) to make sure everything's okay. I'll just have to play around with the new gcc when it's a little more finished.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: