View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: How to get from KDE (or Gnome or fluxbox or ...) to console Reply with quote

I saw this post which posed the question of how to get to console without doing a 'killall' etc. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=20024&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

As this question was off topic for the thread and no one really answered the question, I thought I'd post what I think is a better answer.

When Gentoo boots, it boots with 6 consoles. All these consoles come up to the login prompt automatically. If you've set X to start automatically with one of the window managers as your login, this graphical login occurs on console 1.

If you want to access a console, simply do a ctl-alt-Fkey. The Fkey should match the console you want. So if you want to access the next available console (console 2), press ctl-alt-F2. You will be presented with a CLI login prompt. Login and do whatever you wanted to get access to the console for.

To get back to your GUI on console 1, do NOT do ctl-alt-F1. This will bring you to a CLI login on console 1. Instead, do a ctl-alt-F7. This will bring you back to your original GUI right where you left it.

The 'graphical' consoles (for want of a better term) are the CLI consoles + 6. That is to say, for console 1, the graphical display is done using F7. For console 2, the graphical display is done using F8 and so forth.

This lets you do nifty things like:

login to KDE
ctl-alt-F2
CLI login to bash
export XSESSION=fluxbox
startx -- :1

Now you have KDE running on F7 and fluxbox running on F8. To switch between them, simply do ctl-alt-F7 or ctl-alt-F8 as desired. Note that you have to increment the :# count for each additional WM you want to bring up. IE: startx -- :2 for the 3rd WM, startx -- :3 for the forth WM and so on.

CLI consoles start counting from 1
GUI consoles start counting from 7
X windows screens start counting from 0

I've had as many as 4 different WMs open at one time. It definitely helps to have a lot of memory. ;-) (usually, I do this to demo the differences between WMs for people interested in switching to Linux)

I must admit that Gnome applications are the least well behaved in this kind of setup. Evolution in particular has given me a number of headaches. But that's a different topic in a different thread.

:-D
Empty_One
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've always wondered how people had 2 wm's running, but was always too lazy to look it up. :)
water
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little question: if i have KDE running and i press ctrl-alt-f1, i have to login again. So i'm wondering if KDE is running on console 1 actually?
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, KDE is running under X, which is running (usually) on virtual console 7
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the number of virtual console depends on everyone's pc, not everyone spawn 6 tty u can check this by ps a | grep tty but this is the standard for almost every linux/BSD system, thus make tty7 and so on used by X. u can change the number of tty you want by modifying /etc/initttab but bare in mind adding up to 12 tty will cause you problem to go back to X (tty13) where is F13 key ? :)

btw i believe this thread should go under tips and tricks.
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's cup, France accusing the US of arrogance and Germany doesn't want to go to war."
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vers_iq wrote:
Actually the number of virtual console depends on everyone's pc, not everyone spawn 6 tty u can check this by ps a | grep tty but this is the standard for almost every linux/BSD system, thus make tty7 and so on used by X. u can change the number of tty you want by modifying /etc/initttab but bare in mind adding up to 12 tty will cause you problem to go back to X (tty13) where is F13 key ? :)

there is a way: i think ttys over 12 are using shift+alt (as i remember) ...but i'm SURE it's possible :)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vers_iq wrote:

I posted it here because it't good info to know when you're setting up a desktop for the first time. I know I had problems with getting XF86Config right. Even if a n00b doesn't know enough to make use of the CLI effectively, being able to get to CLI when X is hung at least feels satisfying. :-)
thomasjb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: short question to the original poster Reply with quote

once you have for instance kde and fluxbox running on F7 and F8 respectively and want to run gnome on F9 do you to do another export XSESSION=gnome as well as startx -- :2 or is the later enough? Thanks.
Regards,
Thomas.
hhaamu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: short question to the original poster Reply with quote

thomasjb wrote:
once you have for instance kde and fluxbox running on F7 and F8 respectively and want to run gnome on F9 do you to do another export XSESSION=gnome as well as startx -- :2 or is the later enough?

Both are probably needed, unless you have specified gnome as default XSESSION. Or you could do this:
Code:
XSESSION=gnome startx -- :2
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tip. I'll teleport it to Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Can you do this, though...? Reply with quote

Ok, login and kdm on terminal 1 (F1).
KDE starts running on VC7 (Virtual Console 7). I Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to terminal 1.

Now I start an emerge of, say, portage

(Term1) # emerge -u portage

Then I goto KDE (Alt-F7).

Next I start a Konsole and get something going there (Emerge openoffice).

Now, it's a pain to Ctrl-Alt-F1 just to see what's going on. Is there anyway, after I've started the emerge, to pipe it's video to Konsole2 or something? THat way I can flip back and forth with the mouse in the Konsole manager and see Terminal1 and Konsole1(actually in Term7).

Sick playout: The above, I'd really like to do, but once I figure that out, if I have Konsole pipe in, say, Terminal7, would it give me an infinite KDE in KDE in KDE in KDE... for viewing purposes (I realize it would only be output display... not actually running.)

Thanks in advance.
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
schmobag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vers_iq wrote:
... but bare in mind adding up to 12 tty will cause you problem to go back to X (tty13) where is F13 key ? :)

Funny you should mention it. After switching to Xgl for a while and back to regular Xorg, X now comes up on tty13 instead of tty7. I've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to make it show up on tty7 instead, with no success yet. Luckily, switching to tty13 is easy enough, just do RightAlt+F1. (I found that out here.)
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmobag wrote:
vers_iq wrote:
... but bare in mind adding up to 12 tty will cause you problem to go back to X (tty13) where is F13 key ? :)

Funny you should mention it. After switching to Xgl for a while and back to regular Xorg, X now comes up on tty13 instead of tty7. I've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to make it show up on tty7 instead, with no success yet. Luckily, switching to tty13 is easy enough, just do RightAlt+F1. (I found that out here.)

I can not seem to switch to another tty using ctrl+atl+fkey in XGL. I'm guessing that the key combination is different since I'm using Compiz as my window manager, rather than the KDE WM. Does anyone know how to set this up in Compiz? I would like very much to be able to switch to tty2 without doing ctrl+alt+backspace, control-c.
schmobag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrl-alt-f* worked when I was running compiz, so I can't guess what the problem is. Have you started a thread on it under "Unsupported Software" or asked about it on the XGL thread? This thread is pretty old and stale.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some testing and it I can switch to a terminal if I already have one open, but I can't get it to actually open a new one. :\
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: