Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Accessing menus in Nedit or emacs using alt keys??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Accessing menus in Nedit or emacs using alt keys?? Reply with quote

I've been working with nedit on a new Gentoo install at work, and was pretty happy with it. The only reason I hadn't used it up until now was that in some other distros (Mandrake for one) the Alt keys (such as Alt+F) just simply wouldn't access the menus. On this new Gentoo install they worked, and I started using it and liked it a lot.

Next thing you know, the menu keys on this install stopped working as well...I have no idea what could have changed it. I completely deleted my .nedit directory to start with all default settings and it didn't help. When I enter Alt+F, it just enters an f in the editor. It just seems to be an issue with menu dropdown menus as far as I can tell...that is Alt keys for items within menus work. They don't work for menus in emacs either.

The Alt keys in other apps work fine. gvim for example (which uses gtk+2.0) works fine. Opera (which uses qt) works fine. I guess nedit and emacs use motif(??). That appears to be what they have in common.

I've read that app-defaults files can cause issues with nedit. I wonderred if possibly something installed some sort of app-defaults file in X. I even tried adding this:

Code:

nedit*fileMenu.mnemonic: F

...to my .Xdefaults, as per some nedit documentation I found, but Alt+f still does nothing. It's as though something else may simply be intercepting those keys under openmotif...I have no idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This one's literally been bugging me for years...first with Mandrake and now with Gentoo.

By the way...I'm running this under fluxbox. When I had issues like this under Mandrake I was running kde.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I just noticed: Even if I pull down the menu with the mouse, entering the corresponding letter for an item in the menu doesn't work. Basically, keyboard navigation of the menus doesn't work at all. This is definately all supposed to work...this is from the nedit help:

Code:

Menu Mnemonics

Pressing the Alt key in combination with one of the underlined characters in the menu bar pulls down that menu. Once the menu is pulled down, typing the underlined characters in a menu item (without the Alt key) activates that item. With a menu pulled down, you can also use the arrow keys to select menu items, and the Space or Enter keys to activate them.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I just found something...apparently this is a bug in motif. Also, it was a busy day and I was doing a lot at once. I think I was mistaken as far as the Alt keys working initially...that was in something else I was trying out. I have a feeling they never worked on this install.

Here's a post on the nedit site about the bug:

http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2005-December/007791.html

Tom
jcornez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access emacs menu functionality in a text-based way by pressing <F10>. This doesn't actually open the menu as if you had clicked on it; instead, it creates a buffer with text based choices so that everything can be keyboard driven.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: