View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glurps
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: switching back to x11 from console Reply with quote

the latest gwn features a tip on switching virtual terminals. however it doesnt mention how i get back into X. when i switch from within x11 to a different virtual terminal and then back to the one X is running in i am still at the console - i have to kill x11.

:?: howto get back into x11.

:!: while looking for a solution i stumbled about this:

(in The Fluxbox Configuration HOWTO 3. Configuring Fluxbox -> Preparing X11)

Quote:
This is also not ideal for most users, as they want to have the desktop environment all the time; it is a pain to startx if it is desired to use a GUI everytime you boot. It also presents a security risk to the unaware. If one locks the X11 display using xlock, but run X11 from a console, then someone with physical access to the computer can switch to that console, kill X11, and use your account. The only way to prevent this is to either background X11 or run it in screen, detach the screen, and then logout of the console, a tedious task at best. If one uses a graphical login manager, this problem does not exist. However, you will be running X11 as root, which may be a bad thing. There are, as of this writing, no exploits that the author is aware of for the current version, but if one is concerned, then either not use X11 or use the above method with screen. Note that this is not a Fluxbox issue, but affects X11 itself.

i am currently using startx because of some problems i have with some keys in passwords when using a login manager and also so i can get back to a console. still this doesnt seam like a problem in my specific case i am the only person using my pc. however maybe some people are interested in this, so i mentioned it.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control+Alt+F7

I'm not completely sure if that's what you're talking about though.
glurps
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avieth wrote:
Control+Alt+F7

yes this works thanks... i will have to find out what function is bound to that key in the us keymap as i have edited mine quite extensively.

one problem though:

when i am back in x11 the xterm i used to execute chvt n has a long list of blank promts. (hm how does one say this.) meaning it looks like i pressed return for a while. last line looks as if i entered some onknown key:

Code:
$
$
$
$
$ ~

one more thing:

in the gwn chvt is advertised to be an alternative to the respective keys in console and x11. however as described above when i switch to the console ux11 is running in using chvt i have no choice but to kill x by pressing C-c. Suspending (with C-z) and bringing to foreground doesnt work eighter (it doesnt bring me back to x. however i dont have to kill x as i have a prompt again and can use Control+Alt+F7 now to get back into x). so i figure the gwn isnt quite correct when it sais that chvt chould replace the key presses under x and console. it allows switching console, but to get back into x11, Control+Alt+F7 has to be used.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered chvt today too by the gwn...

You can go back to X by simply typing
Code:
chvt 7

at least it works on mine... I am not quite sure what is not working for you.
EDIT: i see you used startx, i am using gdm so obviously here is the difference.

I also have the numerous CR in terminal when using chvt in X terminal, but not in console.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: