MPlayer equalizer squawk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: MPlayer equalizer squawk Reply with quote

Hey y'all,

I'm trying the mplayer audio filter settings for the equalizer (equaliser) and it seems to produce a static sounding squawk.

This is an example config,

Code:
af=equalizer=11:11:10:5:0:-12:0:5:12:12

same results with command-line entry obviously, same if I tweak the levels of the equalizer.

Seems to change relative to the sampling rate of the file and what codec it uses but generally squawky. Is it perhaps a sampling problem? My chipset is the intel8x0 AC97 lappy special as with alsa working from the kernel, 2.6.16.
Code:
MPlayer 1.0pre8-3.4.6 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU:    Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.40GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Other media players are fine, with/without equalisers, all other media is fine, just when I use mplayer w/ af=equalizer.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your numbers are way too high I'd say. In my case, I need to enhance the higher frequencies a bit and use this:
Code:
af=equalizer=3:3:3:3:3:3:4:5:5.2:5.2

The mplayer equalizer is quite wierd IMO. I got those numbers completely through trial and error. Becasue the equalizer lowers the volume, I first needed to find a base where the volume is the same as without the eq (3 in my case), then I simply raised the last numbers little by little until I got something that sounded ok.
terrella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Nod, I did notice that the 11's and 12's were crazy-high. I found the improvement when I fiddled the values earlier. But indeed I should've investigated, played, more.
OK, edit time...

The problem was I was comparing to eq-xmms values. Turns out eq-xmms, scales things on a -20 --> 20 scale for a dB scale -12~dB --> 12 dB.
HOWEVER
It still seems that even relatively, I need to scale mplayer down on a normalised view to get a similar effect.
There is no doubt that eq-xmms outperforms and is acceptable, where mplayer still gives an awful scratchy sound if you go to any reasonable adjustment.

I'd still very much like to know the relation of dB levels to the hardware via alsa...

Edit #2:
I can confirm that mplayer has the scratchy, squawky sound before it approaches the sound quality or adjustment amount of eq-xmms. In fact you can use the entire range of eq-xmms even if it does sound mucho distorted.

Anyone with more info?..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: