View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophisto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: display power management settings: Xorg.conf vs KDE settings Reply with quote

Just a little question.

When using fluxbox I used to set my display power managament settings in Xorg.conf. Now when Ive started using KDE the same settings can be found in the KDesktop. This obviously casuses some cunfusion... I would presume the KDE settings to override the settings found in xorg.conf but it would be nice to have it confirmed by someone else!

There are several other examples of overlap in configs (e.g. keyboard layot) and it really annoys me and I suppose thats why Ive been a bit reluctant to try one of these "heavier" WMs like KDE.

Thanks for reading.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: display power management settings: Xorg.conf vs KDE sett Reply with quote

Sophisto wrote:
Just a little question.

When using fluxbox I used to set my display power managament settings in Xorg.conf. Now when Ive started using KDE the same settings can be found in the KDesktop. This obviously casuses some cunfusion... I would presume the KDE settings to override the settings found in xorg.conf but it would be nice to have it confirmed by someone else!

Yes.

Quote:
There are several other examples of overlap in configs (e.g. keyboard layot) and it really annoys me and I suppose thats why Ive been a bit reluctant to try one of these "heavier" WMs like KDE.

Thanks for reading.

And yes, for example, mouse pointers. YOu can set a globar pointer theme, but the one in kde takes precedence once you have logen into any user account (or in you log from the console and then startx, the kde pointers substitutes de X one once kde is loaded).

You can look the xorg.conf settings as global stuff, while the kde configuration is made in a per-user basis. That is why it is there. Some users need/like different settings. Of course, there is a limit on which users (and as such, kcontrol) can do.
Sophisto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm yeah that makes sense... thanks for the reply ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: