View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Graphical login [solved] Reply with quote

My Gentoo installation was working okay, I had it set to log in on the console. Then from the console I would type xdm to launch gnome and I would be prompted to log in again. I tried to change the way this works by selecting a drop down menu--the rightmost one, the same one you use to log out, I forget the title. I selected a checkbox to enable graphical login. Immediately after I clicked the checkbox, I got a blue screen telling me that there was already an x window system on monitor 0, and asking me if I wanted to choose the next available monitor. I clicked no a few times but it kept popping up, and then I clicked yes, and it presented me with a different looking login screen--this one had a flower on it, while the one I had been seeing before was just a plain screen. I tried to login as non-root but every time I attempted that, the session ended immediately (it could not find my user directory). So I logged in as root and de-selected that same "graphical login" checkbox. Then I restarted the computer and the first thing I noticed is that in the GRUB bootloader, the options are duplicated: it used to read "Gentoo Linux" and "Windows XP" and now it reads "Gentoo Linux" "Windows XP" "Gentoo Linux" "Windows XP."

Also earlier when I first configured the bootloader to add the option to boot Windows XP, the graphical utility wouldn't work. It screwed up the configuration file. I had to manually edit the config file according to some website.

Anyway, now it is STILL doing a graphical login, but I can't login at all, root or otherwise, even if I choose failsafe login or failsafe console login. The same thing always happens--the session will start but ends immediately and brings me back to the login screen.

How do I get it back to the way it was short of re installing everything from the CD?

Last edited by Berder on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rc-update del xdm

Should get you back to a text login screen at your next boot.

As for the duplicate entries in Grub, you need to edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and remove them. (you will need to mount /boot if it isn't already)
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.

[mod]Since this is a post-install issue that seems to be related to X, I believe this post belongs in DE.[/mod]

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now I can't run any commands as root since as the session ends immediately after I login. This is the error explanation I get when I try to log in, for example, as root to the failsafe terminal:

Code:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "var/gdm:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "root"
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

This is followed by a message saying that the rest of the error report cannot be formatted safely.

When attempting to log in as root to gnome, I get a similar bunch of messages and the following:
Gtk-Warning**: cannot open display

I CAN log in as a non-root, at least to failsafe terminal, but I have no non-roots that are wheels and I can't use rc-update. Maybe I could rename xdm itself so it doesn't run, or would that require root privileges also? And where is it?

The computer has no internet connection that Linux has drivers for--does that explain anything about the Xlib errors?

Also the login screen I'm getting is very different from what I was getting when I was just typing xdm from the command line.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always switch to a VT with CTRL+ALT+FN with N between 1 and 6. CTRL+ALT+F7 should take you back to X. While you're on the VTs, you can use just ALT+FN to switch between terminals.
When you run a session as a normal user, you can use su/sux or sudo to run commands as root. Use emerge to search for the packages and install them and don't forget to add users to the wheel group to be able to use su/sux or to review /etc/sudoers to be able to run sudo.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Berder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks, it's back where it was before now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: