Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
AMD64 system slow/unresponsive during disk access...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Quote:
mkisofs is writing and konsole wants to read, and your scheduler is being fair. deadline scheduler should alleviate this problem.

Like moesasji, I tried the deadline scheduler and am finding it works much better. No more lag while mkisofs or other i/o heavy job is running, 32-bit or 64-bit system.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdr wrote:
devsk wrote:
Quote:
mkisofs is writing and konsole wants to read, and your scheduler is being fair. deadline scheduler should alleviate this problem.

Like moesasji, I tried the deadline scheduler and am finding it works much better. No more lag while mkisofs or other i/o heavy job is running, 32-bit or 64-bit system.
man, I am the only one left with the problem and not able to help it with deadline scheduler.... :cry:
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I set deadline as my default scheduler instead of writing it to the sysfs locations. And I'm also running gentoo-sources-2.6.21-r3.
moesasji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
man, I am the only one left with the problem and not able to help it with deadline scheduler.... :cry:

The original poster of the kernel-bug report is with you on this one. He experiences the problem while using the deadline scheduler, see here. So you probably just need to be patient...the good news is that finally one of the kernel-devs is convinced that there actually is a problem.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, using deadline as a scheduler solved in my case.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using deadline scheduler makes no difference here either, maybe people should stress their systems a bit more.
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
using deadline scheduler makes no difference here either, maybe people should stress their systems a bit more.

I am using the bonnie stress test that devsk reported here. That test definitely showed a problem before switching to the deadline scheduler that is gone now.
node@are-b.org
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moesasji wrote:
devsk wrote:

The original poster of the kernel-bug report is with you on this one. He experiences the problem while using the deadline scheduler, see here. So you probably just need to be patient...the good news is that finally one of the kernel-devs is convinced that there actually is a problem.

do you have a LKML link, a quote, something to go by? I'm curious since, as I mentioned earlier, I'm having sorta the same issue, when getting/sending stuff over NFS, which would indicate to me that it's VFS related. I haven't really noticed it at all on normal disk activity on my athlon XP(hence no 64bit or anyhting fancy) however.
moesasji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

node@are-b.org wrote:
do you have a LKML link, a quote, something to go by?

I continuously link to the kernel-bugreport....also in my previous post. 8)
Based on the testing I reported there Tejun Heo definitely agrees there is a problem, see this post

However as stated later in the bugreport it seems that we are not al experiencing the same problem.
In my case the problem becomes most obvious for the cfq-scheduler when NCQ is activated on the HD.
The only scheduler that behaves decently in my case is the deadline-scheduler.
The testing behind this conclusion you can find here
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moesasji wrote:
node@are-b.org wrote:
do you have a LKML link, a quote, something to go by?

I continuously link to the kernel-bugreport....also in my previous post. 8)
Based on the testing I reported there Tejun Heo definitely agrees there is a problem, see this post

However as stated later in the bugreport it seems that we are not al experiencing the same problem.
In my case the problem becomes most obvious for the cfq-scheduler when NCQ is activated on the HD.
The only scheduler that behaves decently in my case is the deadline-scheduler.
The testing behind this conclusion you can find here

all bonnie,bonnie++,izone,piozone,dbench test pass for me and i don't experience any lockups. but if I use mkisofs the system locks up but not
always, just sometimes. I'm also using deadline scheduler.

I need to do more test, I will post my bonnie etc.. results soon.

http://rafb.net/p/nQuwLs30.html dstat run while running mkisofs before it frozze.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

everything is fixed now with MASKED cdrtools package. app-cdr/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha27

no longer does my system freeze up on mkisofs runs. I assumed from the beginning it was something else, like
the scheduler and or the sata driver but all this time it was mkisofs but the scheduler also made a difference as i'm now
using the deadline scheduler which performs better than the rest. If you're having problems even after using the
above cdrtools package and are using deadline scheduler then your problems are unknown as of now. I should have known
to try another cdrtools package but originally I did and downgrade from the current MASKED app-cdr/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha27 to
app-cdr/cdrtools-2.01.01_alpha25 and still experienced the problems, but it was the use of the scheduler along with the alpha27 cdrtools
package that seems to be working so for me.. I have burned 6 DVDs so far with it and my system is very responsive,.. new terminal windows open
on time or with a slight 1sec delay but that's better than 5-7 seconds like others are experiencing.. anyways,.. here are some screenshots of
my last mkisofs run with 'dstat -vfa' output. as you will notice mkisofs kind of paused for a second or so this happent several times but didn't stop me from doing other stuff also I/O status was zero for two drives too.

2007-07-05_1600x1200.png

latest run while compiling openoffice,running boinc,beryl,firefox,evolution, and downloading pr0n at the same time, while playing some music could not slow my system down. so it's to my conclusion that current cdrtool's mkisofs was the problem. I will file a bug next.

2007-07-05-05_1600x1200_1.png
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread with interest for some time. I have an AMD64 processor in my work machine and for the longest time was running it as x86. Then, around ten months or so ago, I decided to take the plunge and convert it over to amd64 and to be honest it didn't seem all that much faster to me. And of course all along I've been experiencing the slowdowns with the SATA (now back to IDE) disk access mentioned at the beginning of this thread. And I've tried all the suggestions and none of them have done any good (including the system/kernel tuning thread found here).

I've had the deadline queue hard compiled into my kernel for some time now and while upgrading from 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 to 2.6.21-gentoo-r3 helped some, it doesn't help at all when the kernel starts swapping. It's frustrating to see the CPU hover around 10% utilization while the disk thrashes around 1-2 MB/s (according to gkrellm). When that happens, all bets are off--the system is unresponsive (wonder why? :P) and unusable. And yes, DMA is turned on: Doing three quick hdparm tests yields around 627-639 MB/s for cached reads and 36-58 MB/s for buffered reads.

Judging from the length of time this thread has been around it would seem that amd64 isn't going to be well supported for some time, if at all, since the kernel devs clearly don't seem to care about it. I'm scratching my head trying to think if I've missed anything, but I don't think so. I could be wrong about that. ;)

At any rate, I'm seriously considering switching back to x86. At this point, all the whizzyness of running 64 bit seems to be counterproductive to the task of running a desktop. :(

Some stats: 512M RAM, 2.5G swap, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ running at 2GHz.
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the app-cdr/cdrkit, the gpl-fork of app-cdr/cdrtools?
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
I've been following this thread with interest for some time. I have an AMD64 processor in my work machine and for the longest time was running it as x86. Then, around ten months or so ago, I decided to take the plunge and convert it over to amd64 and to be honest it didn't seem all that much faster to me. And of course all along I've been experiencing the slowdowns with the SATA (now back to IDE) disk access mentioned at the beginning of this thread. And I've tried all the suggestions and none of them have done any good (including the system/kernel tuning thread found here).

I've had the deadline queue hard compiled into my kernel for some time now and while upgrading from 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 to 2.6.21-gentoo-r3 helped some, it doesn't help at all when the kernel starts swapping. It's frustrating to see the CPU hover around 10% utilization while the disk thrashes around 1-2 MB/s (according to gkrellm). When that happens, all bets are off--the system is unresponsive (wonder why? :P) and unusable. And yes, DMA is turned on: Doing three quick hdparm tests yields around 627-639 MB/s for cached reads and 36-58 MB/s for buffered reads.

Judging from the length of time this thread has been around it would seem that amd64 isn't going to be well supported for some time, if at all, since the kernel devs clearly don't seem to care about it. I'm scratching my head trying to think if I've missed anything, but I don't think so. I could be wrong about that. ;)

At any rate, I'm seriously considering switching back to x86. At this point, all the whizzyness of running 64 bit seems to be counterproductive to the task of running a desktop. :(

Some stats: 512M RAM, 2.5G swap, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ running at 2GHz.

you really should consider having atleast 1GB of RAM.. specially if you're on amd64.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagalopex wrote:
Have you tried the app-cdr/cdrkit, the gpl-fork of app-cdr/cdrtools?

no need as cdrtools alpha27 does the job. my system no longer slows down on heavy I/O access.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
you really should consider having atleast 1GB of RAM.. specially if you're on amd64.

Would this solve the problem with the disk bringing the system to its knees? If so, how? :?
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
likewhoa wrote:

Would this solve the problem with the disk bringing the system to its knees? If so, how? :?

because you wouldn't be using your swap constantly, you should atleast consider using a WM instead of a DE and less resource hog applications like
gkrellms, I used it before but didn't like it and compare to conky which can be less of a resource hungry monitoring tool. Your system is gonna seem slow because you are only using 512MB of ram, try that with windows XP and you'll know what i mean, not that i would suggest that but that's my point. by the way, at what point is your system slowing down or just freezing up on you? it was while using mkisofs with me but that seems to be fixed with alpha27.
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system is essentially unusable when it is forced to swap, otherwise it's essentially fine. It's hard to ascribe slowness when swapping to anything other than the actual swapping itself because access to hard disk is orders of magnitude slower than access to memory. Everything seems slow, opening menus in firefox, etc, presumably because the code for doing that is swapped out. If I'm doing an emerge, CPU usage goes to near zero because the system is so busy bringing pages in and out of memory, it doesn't actually have the date in memory for the cpu to work on. I apologize for not reading this page of the thread closely, but if one's only problem with slowness occurs during periods where swap is required, most likely the best solution is simply more ram.
digitized
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but in my eyes your answer is somehow shortsigthed as well as the one with mkisofs. Why searching for the root of that problem when you can just fix some of its results?
OK, more RAM is always usefull but that doesn't help you when it comes to heavy i/o on your fixed or removeable storage (where swapping is one of those things). I'm watching my system doing a slideshow with a moving frame every 1 to 60 seconds while doing heavy network and disk i/o. Thats neither acceptable nor usable but I've to live with that until it's fixed.
I've tried many things mentioned in this thread, lkml or kernel's bugzilla but so far nothing changed it. Downgrading back to before the bug appeared in kernel is not an option because my hardware started working with 2.6.19+.
The strange thing is, I've compared my kernel config with one of a friend of mine, there are no significiant differences between our configs but he insists not having this problem.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitized wrote:
Sorry but in my eyes your answer is somehow shortsigthed as well as the one with mkisofs. Why searching for the root of that problem when you can just fix some of its results?
OK, more RAM is always usefull but that doesn't help you when it comes to heavy i/o on your fixed or removeable storage (where swapping is one of those things). I'm watching my system doing a slideshow with a moving frame every 1 to 60 seconds while doing heavy network and disk i/o. Thats neither acceptable nor usable but I've to live with that until it's fixed.
I've tried many things mentioned in this thread, lkml or kernel's bugzilla but so far nothing changed it. Downgrading back to before the bug appeared in kernel is not an option because my hardware started working with 2.6.19+.
The strange thing is, I've compared my kernel config with one of a friend of mine, there are no significiant differences between our configs but he insists not having this problem.

Well i never had any problems with any other task but with mkisofs. i tried to reproduce what mkisofs did in others way i.e bonnie++,iozone.
moesasji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitized wrote:
I've tried many things mentioned in this thread, lkml or kernel's bugzilla but so far nothing changed it.

On my system the problems become less if I disable NCQ, and use the deadline scheduler.
Can you confirm that you've tried the following and that it does not help in your case:

Code:

#disable NCQ on HD for testing, works better due to bug
echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/queue_depth

#temporarily set deadline as default....bug
echo deadline > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

ps) Note that even in the kernel-bug report it is clear that not everybody experiences the same problem, although the symptoms are very similar.
digitized
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my SATA systems disabling NCQ didn't make much a difference and my SATA-RAID Controller doesn't support NCQ.
I've also experienced that cfq is more usable than deadline, noop or anticipatory. CFQ just slows down everything (high I/O wait, very short locks) while the others lock my system completely (slightly less i/o wait than cfq but long locks).
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the swap issue, I suppose one could argue that system slowness when using swap could be due to bugs related to I/O; I have just assumed it was due to the actual swapping itself because access to swapped pages is orders of magnitude slower than access to pages in memory, and my system never has slowdowns under heavy I/O, except when that I/O is because the memory is maxed and the system is swapping.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would fully expect things to be slower when pages are being swapped--that's not what I'm talking about. What I was talking about was the fact that it would swap and keep swapping for what seemed like an eternity. I tried to launch an app when it was in that state (Rosegarden 1.5.1) and I kid you not--it took well over a half hour for that thing to launch itself. And all the while the CPU would hover at around 10% utilization while the disk would thrash itself around 1-2Mb/s. This is not normal OR good, and I had (and still have) more than enough swap (around 5x RAM at the moment).

So, anyway, I've switched back to x86 (with the same kernel, filesystem, etc) and the system seems faster overall (anecdotal, but that's all I've got--it would be nice to see some empirical tests done, but I don't have the resources). With my normal pattern of use I have yet to experience the kind of slowdowns/thrashing that was a common experience while my system was running amd64. It seems to me to be a no brainer that amd64 is just not ready for primetime. Maybe if the kernel devs (or toolchain or whoever :P) did their development on that architecture they would care about it more but it seems pretty obvious that that architecture is the red-headed stepchild.

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the heads up on conky. I'd never heard of it (and in truth, if I had, I would have thought it was yet another tired Konqueror doohicky ;)). With both gkrellm and conky running side by side, I see conky taking more CPU than gkrellm most of the time (I still like conky, though ;)).
nick88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been reading this thread a bit and I'm seeing I think a similar problem when I use nuvexport on my x86 setup. I've tried to change my kernel to 2.6.22 (kernel.org), turn off pre-emption and change to the deadline scheduler w/o success. When I changed the swapiness to 20 (from 60) the responsiveness improved and with dstat, I saw a reduced amount of swap occur. However, I still see under some recordings my system (not all!) gets pegged to 100% whereas it used to run much better.

The following is my setup:

I'm running nuvexport (0.4_p20061203) and mythtranscode (mythtv version 0.20.1_p13344) on my AMD Athlon-XP 2600 w/ 2 GB of RAM on a nVidia nForce2 chipset based system.

I was starting to see this problem a few months ago and it didn't occur too often. I would record to a reiserfs partition and dump it to a ext3 partition either on my USB drive or to another PATA drive. I've also tried to rebuild ffmpeg and mythtv to see if that could be culprit, but no luck.

Does this problem belong in this thread or should I create a new one? I think the problems are related... DId I miss anything to try on the list?

Nick.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 19 of 38

Jump to: