vmware appliance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iaw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: vmware appliance Reply with quote

I am currently working on getting a vmware appliance based on 2006.0 running. that is, gentoo is the guest.

I found the starting point elsewhere, but have now added X and kde to it. I updated the packages to be all new, am fixing little things, like etc files, set up the .xinitrc, checking revdep, etc. just lots of little housekeeping issues.

the whole thing will be about 1GB, although I may have to clean out much of the /usr/portage/distfiles/ directory . Such an appliance can be useful for a number of purposes. For me, it means that I do not have to try to get gentoo to run on different notebook hardware, and that I can still use the media apps that windows (but not linux) can run. aside, it is another way to experiment with linux, separate from gentoo-on-a-usb-key.

I wonder if this could be an ebuild. It's basically a zip file with one dependence, the vmware player. alas, it is a very big one. how do I find out if there is interest to put this up, and who would I ask?

sincerely,

/iaw
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best thing to do would be to submit it to the vmware appliance site. There is a section for user submitted appliances. No need for an ebuild as it can be distributed in as little as two files that would just need to be extracted into the user's vmware directory.

Edit: actually, since each user has to have their own copy of the vm in order to run it, there is no point of an ebuild. (ebuilds generally don't put things in user's directories)
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get this. Is there somewhere that I can go to to download it? The VMWare site has a few Gentoo appliances but these are either on dead links or are not as described.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: