Some noob installing questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Some noob installing questions Reply with quote

Hey,

First off I was just wondering what the diffrence between using a genkernel and not using a genkernel and where you select this as this gave me a ton of problems when configuring my grub config while trying to dual boot my system.
Also while on that topic the quick install guide says to setup the config like so:

root (hd0,0)
Kernel /bootkernel root=/dev/hda3

will this work on a not used a genkerenal install

Second question is I finally managed to dual boot my system and get gentoo installed with the Live CD but it wont' detect my nic. I have the following NICs

Nic1 - Onboard Nvidia 2nd generation chipset LAN - Systemboard (ABIT NFS7)
Nic2 - Dlink 530TX+
Nic3 - Dlink G520 Wireless

I know the nic1 uses forcedet module and that works on the min install but i'm not sure if the liveCD added it to the kernal in the install. How would you go about installing this after now ? Also im going to be picking up a Dlink 538TX+ which uses the RLT8139 driver set so if someone could tell me how to install that, that would be great.

Third question is gentoo coudln't detect my soundcard which is built into the ABIT NFS7 board. Any help on the driver set that this needs to work and how to install it would be great.

Last question: Once i get that all out of the way how to tweak out my desktop and or get the best videocard drivers for my Geforce Ti4200 would be great info, any links on this would be helpfull, as i'd like to get it running as fast as possible and spruce up the desktop a little, as I will be using it as my primary os.

Any help on these topics would be greatly appricated as i'm still extreamly rusty in my linux espically with gentoo. Thanks agian.
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you are not familiar with compiling your kernel, then the safest bet imo is to use genkernel as it usually works with most hardware - granted that it does compile alot of stuff you don't need in the kernel, but you can fix that when you learn all the options / drivers to compile your own.

2) I am not familiar with using the livecd so I am not much help there.

3) Since the NF7S is a Nvidia chipset you should use the Intel8x0 driver (which should be compiled into the kernel for you using genkernel).

4) Video Drivers - http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_Drivers
Desktop - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml should get you started
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you go about installing the new Network card(Dlink538TX) which uses the RLT8139 driver set?
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or how do you add in thouse intel chipset drivers ?
wouldn't that require to re-compile the kernel with theM?
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to manually compile them into the kernel if you are not using genkernel. The 8139 drivers should be embedded into the kernel (using genkernel) automatically if you follow the install documents if I remember correctly, because I use the realtek 8139 drivers on my machine.

I guess the question is, do you have a system up and running or did your install fail?
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the install finished fine but it was with the liveCD and by the grug.config file it seems like it used the genkernal. So the 8139 should be in there but just incase its not how would you go about re-compling the kernal and adding in the drivers ? Would it just be a matter of doing a menuconfig?
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you also know when installing the kernal weather your installing a genkernal or not ?
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you follow the genkernel instructions on this page - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7 ?

You know when genkernel is installing the kernel as oppossed to manual because you actually have to exec the genkernel command. Manual kernel config involves "make menuconfig" from /usr/src/linux, configure all your options / hardware, then "make && make modules_install (2.6 kernel), and then copying the kernel to your /boot partition.'

Edit: Forgot you were using the livecd, but the directions on that page should help point you in the right direction on configuring the kernel from this point.
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I go about installing the Intel chipset to get sound working ? would i do a menuconfig ? and re-compile the kernal ?
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help, one last thing, how would I go about getting the other drivers in for say my onboard nic which uses a forcedet module? I would just like to know for future refrence or for practice. thanks agian.
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go under /usr/src/linux and type make menuconfig to bring up the kernel options and look under:

Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Ethernet (10 or 100 Mbit) -> nForce Ethernet Support (make sure EISA, VLB, PCI and onboard controllers is selected)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: