View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc.lost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Sorry, total noob here, gnome and xorg problems. new install Reply with quote

OK, First let me appologize, I am reletively new to Linux and Gentoo.

I installed gentoo on my Gateway 7508GX notebook as per the documentation provided both on the cd and the /doc section of the website.

The base install went fine, I am able to get to a text console, the problem started when I attemepted to emerge Xorg and Gnome.
Emerge wanted to go online to download distfiles as needed. I expected that, but without a internet connection available, that is somewhat of a problem. I googled that and it lead me to download the files manualy from http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles and manually copy them to the usr/portage/distfiles/ after all the propper dependancy versions were in the /distfiles/ both compiled with no errors.

Using
Code:
startx
loads gnome as one would expect, but as soon as it is all loaded the system freezes. no ctrl-alt-backspace, no ctrl-alt-del, nothing. I think perhaps doing a
Code:
emerge --sync
would fix it. but I don't have a network connection for linux to use. I get online from whinerblows using a cellular aircard (Verizon PC5740). I am fairly sure that configuring the PC5740 to work for an emerge --sync is waaay beyond me. I guess my question is 1. Is it possible that my gnome freeze problem is due to my lack of a network connection for emerge to use durring compilation? 2. is there a way to manualy download all the files needed for a complete system from whinerblows and copy them over?

Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction.
Thanks
Lostboy
rc.lost
r4d1x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run any other wm? Something small like, one of the boxes?
Code:
emerge --sync

Isnt going to do anything for you. All that does is update portage with the latest packages. If you have a DVD drive you could just manually d/l all the files and burn them to DVD then copy them to
Code:
/usr/portage/distfiles

I would try one of the other WM's first though. Also, have you checked your logs to see if its telling you why? You might find some useful info in there.

edit - forgot to mention that you can d/l portage snapshots from any of the mirrors:

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/

unpack it to the portage dir to have gentoo ask for the latest (but not necessarily greatest) packages.
Radeon 9600 pro
1TB File Server / FTP
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
Desktop related questions, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry, total noob here, gnome and xorg problems. new ins Reply with quote

Hi rc.lost, welcome to gentoo.
rc.lost wrote:
I guess my question is 1. Is it possible that my gnome freeze problem is due to my lack of a network connection for emerge to use durring compilation? 2. is there a way to manualy download all the files needed for a complete system from whinerblows and copy them over?

1. I very much doubt it.
2. Yes, and it looks like you did it already seeing as you've compiled X and GNOME.

The problem is much more likely to be an X or GNOME configuration issue. We need some more information to start solving it. Have you configured X? Can you startx OK without trying to start GNOME? Are there error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably an Xorg/GNOME problem. Here is what i think you should do.

1) try another window manager, say fluxbox.

emerge fluxbox.

2) edit .xinitrc and put the one line "exec fluxbox" in it and startx. if that works it might be a gnome issue, it may still be an X issue.

3) type lspci on the command line and find your video card. Then google "<name of video card> xorg.conf" and maybe someone out there has posted a working file. you can also google "<name of laptop> xorg.conf".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: