Questions with Ext3 File system [Now Ext2 and still puzzled]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Questions with Ext3 File system [Now Ext2 and still puzzled] Reply with quote

I finally decided to clear out my 120 GB Drives. They are / were NTFS :: gag ::. So I was able to move 90% of the data onto my /root directory (since there was only about 40GB of data. So I formatted the drive, ran into a few small snags during the boot up. I thought I fixed them until I was mounting the FS (new EXT3) when I saw this message.. :Saving 5.00% for root partition (or user): 5%.. THAT'S 6GB.... I was like F That. I wwant that space, but more importantly, I NEED that space.

Normally I would not have a problem.... but here is the situation. My OTHER 120GB drive, also NTFS, has 1.22MB free on it. It is completely filled up with important data. Is there anyway that I can override it when I set up this drive so I can use all 120 GB? It stands now that I am out of room to move the remaining data. Am I going to have to reformat the drive that I already re-setup? If so, that is no problem, but it took almost 10 hours to transfer all 111GB of data on the drive.

I thought that EIDE drives had a higher transfer rate than 3.5MB. If someone can enlighten me on this situation, I would really appreciate it. I know that most E & U IDE drives are measured at "burst" transmissions so that is how they get the "Up to 200MB/sec transfer rate"

Thanks in advance!

- Josh

Last edited by TheWhiteKnight on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first problem can be resolved by passing "-m 0" to mke2fs when you create your ext3 filesystems. (reserve 0% for root) Just don't do that when creating the root filesystem. That space is reserved for root for a reason. It lets root login and fix things when a user fills up the disk. At least that is what I remember it being for. For a really large root filesystem, you could just use that same option to reserve a smaller percentage.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
Your first problem can be resolved by passing "-m 0" to mke2fs when you create your ext3 filesystems. (reserve 0% for root) Just don't do that when creating the root filesystem. That space is reserved for root for a reason. It lets root login and fix things when a user fills up the disk. At least that is what I remember it being for. For a really large root filesystem, you could just use that same option to reserve a smaller percentage.

Just a stupid question, but is there a place that you can find every bash command for the things you emerge? Thanks on the heads up for the filesystem. Since I have everything already created and some stuff moved onto the drive, will I have to scratch the drive and start again?

- Josh
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Look at /var/log/emerge.log for you emerge history. Don't ever delete that file though.

2) Not sure. Read up on the tune2fs command to see if you can change the reserved blocks percentage of an existing filesystem.

Edit: Yep, just call "tune2fs -m 0 <insert device here>" to set the reserved blocks to zero.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I seemed to have run into something interesting then. It must be that NTFS is a better overall FS than ext3. I tried to copy everything over that is from NTFS to my EXT3 fs and I get almost all the way through and I get "Disk Full" and I haven't moved everything over. I even tuned the FS to -m 0 and tried using the df -h and I still have the same amount of space that I had before I started.

I just don't get how I can format a 120GB HDD and only end up with 111GB usable. I know how, I just don't get it. What a waste. 9 GB is a lot of room.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably running out of inodes (think FAT entries) and not really disk space. You need to look into allocating more than the default number of inodes when you create the filesystem. I'll have to read through the man pages for mke2fs to find the correct command. There is a way to display the number of free inodes on a filesystem, but I don't remember it right now. I'll have to search for it too. (man df probably)

Edit: df -i will show the number of free inodes by the way.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
Ok well I seemed to have run into something interesting then. It must be that NTFS is a better overall FS than ext3. I tried to copy everything over that is from NTFS to my EXT3 fs and I get almost all the way through and I get "Disk Full" and I haven't moved everything over. I even tuned the FS to -m 0 and tried using the df -h and I still have the same amount of space that I had before I started.

I just don't get how I can format a 120GB HDD and only end up with 111GB usable. I know how, I just don't get it. What a waste. 9 GB is a lot of room.

Just different arithmetics, if you count that 1gb is 1000mb, like manufacturers do, then you have that 120,000,000,000 bytes are 120 gb. If you take the real number, 1024, then 120,000,000,000 bytes are 111.7587089538574219 gigas. You have exactly the same space under both fs's, it is just the way to count it what it different.

If you want to blame someone, blame the hd manufacturer. It was the one that labeled that disk as 120gb when it has only 111. You can pick a calc, divide 120,000,000,000 bytes by 1024 three times, and you will get 111, that is the real number in gigabytes.

Anyway, other than the aesthetic result, this numbers has no effect at all in the available space.

EDITed for clariffication.

Last edited by i92guboj on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathematically, 120GB is exactly what the drive manufacturer says it is. It is only the computer industry that insists on counting in powers of 2. Of course, this is computer equipment so .....
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
TheWhiteKnight wrote:

Just different arithmetics, if you cound that 1gb is 1000mb, like ms does, then you have that 120.000.000.000 bytes are 120 gb. If you take the real number, 1024, then 120.000.000.000 are 111.7587089538574219. You have exactly the same space under both fs's, it is just the way to count it what it different. If you want to blame someone, blame the hd manufacturer. It was the one that labeled that disk as 120gb when it has only 111. You can pick a calc, divide 120,000,000,000 bytes by 1024 three times, and you will get 111, that is the real number in gigabytes.

yes I am aware that all computers are in base 2. I was being facitious [call it tounge-in-cheek perhaps] about the situation. My big thing is that I can't understand how I am running out of room on my ext3 drive when my stuff from the NTFS is not finished copying. That is all. :P I don't blame anyone honestly. WD has been EXTREMELY good to me and my company, so I have no room to complain. I just will have to attach another drive or 2 to my system. I have an 80 and a 20 that I need to... utilize yet ;)

- Josh
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check to see if the problem was running out of inodes using "df -i"? If so, that can be fixed, but only by recreating the filesystem.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
yes I am aware that all computers are in base 2. I was being facitious [call it tounge-in-cheek perhaps] about the situation. My big thing is that I can't understand how I am running out of room on my ext3 drive when my stuff from the NTFS is not finished copying. That is all. :P I don't blame anyone honestly. WD has been EXTREMELY good to me and my company, so I have no room to complain. I just will have to attach another drive or 2 to my system. I have an 80 and a 20 that I need to... utilize yet ;)

Mmm, well, things that can influence this are the filesystem, the block size and some the medium file size.

For example, a small block size, if generally slower, but it will save a big amount of space if your hd is full of small files, some fs's, like reiserfs have features taht can help to mitigate this effect -in reiserfs teminology this would be tail packing-.

But, overall, dont forget that ext3 is a journalised FS, journals are metadata, and the metadata, just like regular data, takes up some space. If that is a concern, maybe you should look into ext2 instead.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/dev/hdc/  Inodes=14663680 IUsed=23365  IFree=1464035  1%  /dev/mp3a.

So it's not the INodes that I'm running out of. I'm stumped as of right now.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "fdisk -l" and just plane "df" show? This is very curious.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
TheWhiteKnight wrote:

Mmm, well, things that can influence this are the filesystem, the block size and some the medium file size.

For example, a small block size, if generally slower, but it will save a big amount of space if your hd is full of small files, some fs's, like reiserfs have features taht can help to mitigate this effect -in reiserfs teminology this would be tail packing-.

But, overall, dont forget that ext3 is a journalised FS, journals are metadata, and the metadata, just like regular data, takes up some space. If that is a concern, maybe you should look into ext2 instead.

What does ReiserFS consider small files? Maybe I should explain more....

My 2 120GB drives have MP3's on them. I have about 600CD's, most house techno that I have mixed, but I want to keep them and listen to them, so I have converted them to MP3 format. So on average size of the files [all 192kbps and up] I would say is 4.5MB. Not small but not huge. I can always convert the FS which is nice. I'll have to see what I can do. I just thought that ext3 at the time would be a better choice than ext2 at the time. Just out of curiosity, how much can I actually expect to save? Are we talking GB's or MB's? I'm not looking for an exact answer, I just want to see if it is going to be significant enough to see if it is worth the trouble of converting the file system.
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
What does "fdisk -l" and just plane "df" show? This is very curious.

Odd.. it tells me that /dev/hdc does not have a valid partition table, but there is 111GB of data on it. :: confused ::

Something I have noticed though, df shows /dev/hdd1 but when it comes to my other 120GB, it shows /dev/hdc. My NTFS is mounted -ro so my fs doesn't degrade.

EDIT: Here is the df -

Code:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3             35598888  34989744         0 100% /
udev                    386996       152    386844   1% /dev
shm                     386996         0    386996   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdd1            117218240 117129064     89176 100% /mnt/mp3b
/dev/hdc             115380224 115380224         0 100% /mnt/mp3a

Is the /dev/hdc the problem? Should it be /dev/hdc1?

Here is the fdisk -l

Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77545 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1          64       32224+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2              65         786      363888   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda3             787       72545    36166536   83  Linux
/dev/hda4           72546       77545     2520000   83  Linux

Disk /dev/hdc: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 232581 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Disk /dev/hdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/hdd: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd1               1       14593   117218241    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hdd2               1           1           0    0  Empty

djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so much that it should be hdc1 its that its not seeing the 1st partition of it

so hdd1 is your ntfs and hdc is the drive with your ext3 on it because if that is it its not seeing the ext3 partition correctly.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or rather you just forgot to create a partition table on it, but hey, that gains you another 512 bytes :wink: Just don't bring that disk near a windows system or windows might decide the disk is empty and format it for you.
As for your space problem, it's very well possible that ntfs is a bit more efficient in space usage than ext3, and if your safety limit is only about one megabyte I wouldn't be surprised if the copy fails. Playing around with the filesystem paramters (blocksize, inode count) may or may not help you, but requires you to recreate the filesystem each time you change them.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt think about the partition table, hard to say tho
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Or rather you just forgot to create a partition table on it, but hey, that gains you another 512 bytes :wink: Just don't bring that disk near a windows system or windows might decide the disk is empty and format it for you.
As for your space problem, it's very well possible that ntfs is a bit more efficient in space usage than ext3, and if your safety limit is only about one megabyte I wouldn't be surprised if the copy fails. Playing around with the filesystem paramters (blocksize, inode count) may or may not help you, but requires you to recreate the filesystem each time you change them.

I'm not talking about a few MB difference though, I'm talking about 3.3GB difference that is what roughly 3% of the 111GB?. I put Ext2 on there now, and same thing. It takes forever and a day to copy over the data <which I expect for a drive to drive copy>, but I did notice that it stopped on the same file so I think it has to do with something with the settings. I have no space reserved for the super user. I am truly stumped on this one. I think I just might be out 3.3GB worth of space. Does anyone think that I am being too criticle over HDD space? 3.3GB in the grand scheme of things is nothing, but that is a lot of data space, espeically over 2 120GB HDD's that is almost 7 GB.

As far as windows, it's not on my box anywhere. I bought XP Pro from Best Buy, installed it, and I got a "Windows Authentication Error" that said I had purchased a pirated copy of XP. I called up MS and they wouldn't even talk to me without $99 for a license, BB wouldn't take it back because it was opened, so I decided to stick it to the man <after getting bent over without the hint of lube :( ). Soley a Gentoo box for me. I don't like operating systems that do all the work for you (though I have to admit that it WOULD kinda be nice in the case ;) <j/k> )
linuxtuxhellsinki
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where are those 3GB of your space, but I do know that your terrible performance is because you've those drives (hdc & hdd) attached to same IDE channel, so they can only work one at the time :!:

If you still need to copy the data 'again' to that another drive, you'd consider to attach it (hdc) to the slave of your primary IDE channel (=hdb) for a while :roll:
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxtuxhellsinki wrote:
I don't know where are those 3GB of your space, but I do know that your terrible performance is because you've those drives (hdc & hdd) attached to same IDE channel, so they can only work one at the time :!:

If you still need to copy the data 'again' to that another drive, you'd consider to attach it (hdc) to the slave of your primary IDE channel (=hdb) for a while :roll:

Well, the last time that I went in my case and moved a few drives around, I recieved an error. Is there a way I can go in and make the physical cable connections without recieving errors on the next bootup?

The drive is officially blank right now. I lost a few minor files, and I made notes of which files I have to convert again.

EDIT:

As far as performance goes, I have HDA transfering to HDD right now and I am still getting 1.5MB/sec They are on the same controller, not the same channel. Am I missing something performance wise? 1.5MB/s? Come on, something is out of whack here.

Last edited by TheWhiteKnight on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
linuxtuxhellsinki
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteKnight wrote:

Well, the last time that I went in my case and moved a few drives around, I recieved an error. Is there a way I can go in and make the physical cable connections without recieving errors on the next bootup?

I don't understand why you had some errors when you moved the drives around if they're correctly jumpered, only thing which comes to my mind is if you had 'em mounted at startup (in /etc/fstab) and hdc1 is now hdb1 or sth like that :roll:
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteKnight,
Unless I'm mistaken, reiserfs doesn't consider a 4.5mb file a "small" file. From what I've read over the years, it's more like under 10kb or so.

I'm a recent ext3 "tuned" convert from reiserfs (used reiserfs for years), but in your case I would consider trying reiserfs, WITHOUT the fstab notail mount option usually recommended for reiserfs.

Below is a quote from a web page I ran across, but in my experience when I converted all my systems to ext3 from reiserfs, the ext3 partitions required much more than the 5% extra space mentioned here to transfer the same data from a reiserfs partition. In other words, when transfering your data, you would probably save more than 5% disk space using reiserfs as opposed to ext3.

I'd also consider that having a disk crammed completely full is not generally a good idea. You might consider getting larger drives, and then selling your old 120GB drives when the data was transferred.

Quote:
Tail packing is a special ReiserFS feature. Tails are files that are smaller than a logical block, or the trailing portions of files that do not fill up a complete block. To save disk space, ReiserFS uses tail packing to hold tails into as small a space as possible. Generally, this allows a ReiserFS to hold around 5% more than an equivalent Ext2 file system. The direct items are intended to keep small file data and even the tails of the files. Therefore, several tails could be kept within the same leaf node.

OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
WhiteKnight,
Unless I'm mistaken, reiserfs doesn't consider a 4.5mb file a "small" file. From what I've read over the years, it's more like under 10kb or so.

I'm a recent ext3 "tuned" convert from reiserfs (used reiserfs for years), but in your case I would consider trying reiserfs, WITHOUT the fstab notail mount option usually recommended for reiserfs.

Below is a quote from a web page I ran across, but in my experience when I converted all my systems to ext3 from reiserfs, the ext3 partitions required much more than the 5% extra space mentioned here to transfer the same data from a reiserfs partition. In other words, when transfering your data, you would probably save more than 5% disk space using reiserfs as opposed to ext3.

I'd also consider that having a disk crammed completely full is not generally a good idea. You might consider getting larger drives, and then selling your old 120GB drives when the data was transferred.

Quote:
Tail packing is a special ReiserFS feature. Tails are files that are smaller than a logical block, or the trailing portions of files that do not fill up a complete block. To save disk space, ReiserFS uses tail packing to hold tails into as small a space as possible. Generally, this allows a ReiserFS to hold around 5% more than an equivalent Ext2 file system. The direct items are intended to keep small file data and even the tails of the files. Therefore, several tails could be kept within the same leaf node.

WRC, that might be a good idea. I will try that and get back to you. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: