View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dikkiedik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Probs with VMware / Sound Reply with quote

Hi, I've recently emerged vmware and having a hard time to get it to work properly.

To get the sound working properly I tried the following things:
- use alsa and dmix, had to upgrade from 2.6.16 to 2.6.17-r4, because else I wouldn't be able to insert the modules into the kernel because of a kernel bug.

that didn't work, because, after surfing the forums and spending allot of time chasing links on google I found that also I got the "/dev/dsp busy" cliche error. And it seems there is only one solution. For Gnome, disable *insert gnome sound system manager*, and for KDE, disable artsd.

The only way I've found to get around this was to disable the kde sound system completely, because artsd restarts as soon as KDE wants to play a sound, so I have no sound in KDE now, but I have in VMware..

Hail to the "no I don't want one single sound platform for linux because of *insert number of redicules reasons*" *laughs at alsa*

I'd like to have sound in KDE -AND- in VMware, but to my knowledge, and after a night sleep, this doesn't seem possible. Please enlighten me, ye who reads this.

After getting sound to work in VMware, I tried to get sound running in the emulated Windows 95 environment. This seems even harder. Even if I connect the device at startup, windows 95 doesn't seem to recognise the device. The vmware site doesn't give much support on this. I don't know what windows 95 driver I need to use to get sound working.

So my second question would be to someone who has experience with this. Someone who has succesfuly got windows 95 working in a vmware environment, with sound.

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin.
jourbans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the /dev/dsp error, as I'm still trying to get that all straightened out on my box(en) as well.

But I can tell you that I've gotten sound to work under Windows98 as a guest OS running on VMWare Server. You'll need to go to Creative's website and download Windows 95 drivers for the Soundblaster 16 PCI (PCI being the operative word there). I had a hard time finding that solution myself, and couldn't even tell you where I found that, even though that was just last night. But I was playing MOOII with all it's aural glory till the wee hours of the morning...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: