trying to setup P166 as server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: trying to setup P166 as server Reply with quote

Hi,
I found old P166 box, so I got an idea to use it as a router for my local network. I downloaded x86 installation CD, and installed Gentoo on 3gb disc. I didn't want to wait weeks until it compiles, so installation was done on my Athlon 64 3000+. On this box it works like a charm, however when I moved to P166, system doesn't want to boot - last what I can read is 'Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k freed'.
What can cause that, and how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance
Raniz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you've complied the kernel/system correctly?

As the P166 is i686 (even i586 perhaps)? and the AMD64 is amd64 it doesn't seem like a good idea to do the install on that.
I'd recommend that you don't use Gentoo on that machine if you don't want to wait for the installation.

I'd use some BSD on that one (I like netBSD), that's what I'm using on my router. Not only will you have it up and running in a few hours, you can use ipfilter instead of iptables. IPTables is a major pain in the ass compared to ipfilter.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decard,

Welcome to gentoo.

Lots of things can cause failures to boot and because lots of things go on together during startup, kernel messages enter a queue to be printed. This means that the last message may not reflect the problem.

It time to start tuning things off on the kernel command line unit it boots
Code:
acpi=off
noapic
ide=nodma
irqpoll
are good ones to try. One at a time in in any combination.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
decard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm quite a newbie to Linux, don't know many distros (especially BSD), so for a moment I decided to stick with Gentoo - I don't want too much mess in my mind for now :wink:

I think that I compiled it correctly (for i586), if I compiled it for x86_64 then proably kernel wouldn't start at all.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
decard,
(...)
It time to start tuning things off on the kernel command line unit it boots
Code:
acpi=off
noapic
ide=nodma
irqpoll
are good ones to try. One at a time in in any combination.

unfortunatally this doesn't help... from what I read somewhere else, my kernel initializes itself, but something goes wrong after kernel startup :|
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decard,

i586 is correct. I hope you used the i586 stage 3 tarball, the x86 tarball will run too but the i686 one will not.
As long as you did a correct 32 bit install in the chroot on the host PC, you are all set.

Edit:-
Dose the x86 CD boot and can you chroot from it ?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it'd probably reboot if you did that... the step right after kernel init (with that message) would be to start /sbin/init; maybe you could try to append the kernel option init=/bin/bash to see if you can at least get a console. if neither of these two programs work, it'd be likely that your CHOST is set to i686...

btw, BSD is *not* Linux, it's fundamentally different, although both are unices of sorts. since you only want to use the box as a router, i'd recommend m0n0wall -- it's a very easy-to-use, freebsd based router-bsd. ;)

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
decard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I hope you used the i586 stage 3 tarball, the x86 tarball will run too but the i686 one will not.

oh, that might be the cause. I unpacked tarball that was on the CD, proably it was for 686 :oops: In order to fix this mistake, is it OK to download stage 3 for 586, then simply unpack it and overwrite old one?
decard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
btw, BSD is *not* Linux, it's fundamentally different, although both are unices of sorts. since you only want to use the box as a router, i'd recommend m0n0wall -- it's a very easy-to-use, freebsd based router-bsd. ;)

Thanks for making it clear to me :) About m0n0wall, I read about it, but my main purpose is to learn how Linux works, so I don't wan't to make it too easy :D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decard,

Check the tarballs name. It will still be in / unless you have deleted it.
You can also look in /etc/make.conf, your CHOST indiactes the tarball you used
CHOST="i386... the x86 tarball
CHOST="i586... the i586 tarball
CHOST="i686... the i686 tarball. If you have used that, you will be unable to chroot from the liveCD, since bash will give an illegal instruction error.

If you have it wrong - reinstall. Its a learning exercise after all.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenBSD makes the best firewalls the pf is awesome compared to both ip tables and ipfilter, i wish some ;erious effort would be made to port them to linux or at least write a system with teh same basic principles cause IP tables when compared to PF.

i think the big thing is that Linux NFS clients dont really work through the OpenBSD pf filter NFS with UDP PMTU discovery enabled sets the dont fragment bit on fragmented bits and the pf scrub finds that to be wrong and drops it.

Im not sure if they still do that but it was that way a few years ago and i believe it still does. that is probably the reason why pf has not been ported.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: