Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best Webcam Driver Development/Support/Features in 2006?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNAspark99
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Best Webcam Driver Development/Support/Features in 2006? Reply with quote

I'm not asking what the best webcam is, so much as I'm asking what the best webcam module/driver is for linux. Which has the most active development? Which is the most mature for the cameras it supports? Which works with the majority of programs? uvcvideo? qce-ga? pwc? spca5xx? If you're exceedingly happy with your webcam, please tell me(us) what driver, make, and model you're using!

-I've just purchased a 'logitech quickcam fusion', using uvcvideo it works great with ekiga - but nothing else! (although kopete 'almost/sort-of' works). The quality and capabilities of the camera are nice and the driver is a nice start....but does not seem to have an active development effort, or support with many programs. I'm thinking of exchanging it, if there's a modern camera with better linux support. Your opinions please and thanks!
DNAspark99
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webcams are soooooooooo 1996, eh? no one bothers with them anymore?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a logitech quickcam communicate STX using the spca5xx driver. I'm really happy with it using every app supporting v4l (ekiga, mplayer, kopete, etc), except the fact that I have to use a 8k stack kernel instead of a 4k else i get a kernel freeze. It happens with gcc 4.1.x while with 3.4.x it was all good...
cwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My webcam broadcast from inside the top section of my box, using the gc-usb-messenger.
Quality is just as crappy as on Windows, so I guess the drivers are OK ^^
http://cwest.gavrilo.net/webcam.php

My fiancè is currently looking for a webcam that's good supported in Gentoo too :)
HeXiLeD
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* media-video/qc-usb
Latest version available: 0.6.4
Latest version installed: 0.6.4
Size of files: 140 kB
Homepage: http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
Description: Logitech USB Quickcam Express Linux Driver Modules
License: GPL-2

works fine. no issues. same quality as in windows.

CertFP: becbbd161d5a5c31de3c45171b77bf710911db29 / d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmare wrote:
I'm using a logitech quickcam communicate STX using the spca5xx driver. I'm really happy with it using every app supporting v4l (ekiga, mplayer, kopete, etc), except the fact that I have to use a 8k stack kernel instead of a 4k else i get a kernel freeze. It happens with gcc 4.1.x while with 3.4.x it was all good...

kmare, I just installed the same quickcam and drivers and it's working perfect. Reading your post I'm interested on the 8k vs 4k kernel stack comment. Can you please elaborate? Where do you change that parameter and where can I find more information about it?.

Note that I have an AMD64 just in case it makes a difference. I'm suffering intermitent freezes and can't find the reason, memtest reports ok though.

thanks
luis
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: