Improved Much?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breaks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Improved Much? Reply with quote

Hello all who roam on these boards :),

Well, I used to be a regular member here, but it's been a while now since I've logged in on these forums and I have forgot my old user account information unfortunately. I'm just curious, back in the days of when I installed Gentoo (which was strictly only command install and the reading of like a 180 page manual), someone recently told me that you guys now have a GUI install for this OS? Just wondering if there are any screenies of this and also I'm wondering how much simpler Gentoo is to install now (as it took like 32 hours for me to install a stage 2 install of it years a go).

The distro I have been using recently was Ubuntu, I'm just wondering how Gentoo compares in peoples opinions that have used both.

Best regards,

Breaks.
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Improved Much? Reply with quote

Breaks wrote:
Well, I used to be a regular member here, but it's been a while now since I've logged in on these forums and I have forgot my old user account information unfortunately. I'm just curious, back in the days of when I installed Gentoo (which was strictly only command install and the reading of like a 180 page manual), someone recently told me that you guys now have a GUI install for this OS? Just wondering if there are any screenies of this and

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/
it is not stable, it is under development

Breaks wrote:
also I'm wondering how much simpler Gentoo is to install now (as it took like 32 hours for me to install a stage 2 install of it years a go).

stage1 e stage2 do not exists anymore, now there is only stage3.
if you want to compile the entire world the installation time is the same as years ago, otherwise you can simple uncompress the stage3.

Breaks wrote:
The distro I have been using recently was Ubuntu, I'm just wondering how Gentoo compares in peoples opinions that have used both.

always the same things as year ago, gentoo is a metadistribution and Ubunto is a precompiled distro, cannot be comparated.

all my contents are released under the Creative Commons Licence by-nc-nd 2.5
Breaks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the information !equilibrium :). You have you excuse my dumbness with Gentoo now, it's been that long since I've used it and due to me having been using a 'all done for you just click and install Ubuntu' it's hard getting the jist of it all again :). Has anyone successfully completed an install using the GUI? Also which do you (meaning the community not just any individual member specifically) prefer to use installation wise? The GUI or command?

I'm definitely interested in trying Gentoo again because from what I can remember, it absolutely flu and was as stable as anything back in the days. Before I attempt to try this distro again are there any recommendations you have for me that I should do before hand?
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaks wrote:
Cheers for the information !equilibrium :). You have you excuse my dumbness with Gentoo now, it's been that long since I've used it and due to me having been using a 'all done for you just click and install Ubuntu' it's hard getting the jist of it all again :). Has anyone successfully completed an install using the GUI? Also which do you (meaning the community not just any individual member specifically) prefer to use installation wise? The GUI or command?

I'm definitely interested in trying Gentoo again because from what I can remember, it absolutely flu and was as stable as anything back in the days. Before I attempt to try this distro again are there any recommendations you have for me that I should do before hand?

if you like to use gentoo, the preferred install methos is by the handbook, the CLI is very unstable.
all that you need is to follow the new handbook (is changed a lot compared the one of some years ago), nothing else ;)

smerf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I've tried this, failed and used good old method. I think, that manual installation is simplier, because I hate mysterious errors and crashes without a word of explaination. Moreover I don't like graphical installers - installer should work - nice look&feel is not necessary. Screenshots are here (as you probably already know): http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/screenshots/index.xml Yes, I know, that my arguments (especially last one) are not rational, but for me it is important. Old installation method is one of biggest advantages of Gentoo (for me at least).

Last edited by smerf on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Breaks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh brilliant :). I will definitely give this a shot when I get around to receiving my new graphics card. The only worry now is compatibility with my hardware. Even though the GUI install is still in the making, are installs via it stable? Just the same as a command install speed and performance wise? Anyone got any ideas of if I will or wont run into any issues with the following rig setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Deigo
ATi PCI-e x1800 GT0 256mb
1024mb Twin-X DDR Corsair RAM
Asus Nforce 4 Motherboard
WD 250gb Sata2 HDD
Samsung 19" TFT Monitor (Any resolution issues going to be hit with this?)

Is there a print friendly guide where everything you need to install Gentoo the good ole fashion way? Because when I looked at the guide there were various links to this that and the other, I want one page with every guide on it. Thanks again for the help thus far, much appreciated :).

:: Edit ::

By the way smerf, love the comment in the signature, very clever and funny :)
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaks wrote:
Anyone got any ideas of if I will or wont run into any issues with the following rig setup:

you have talked about ubuntu in the previous posts, you have run it onto that hardware? if the reply is yes, always gentoo will run fine.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
here you'll find the handbook, what you are searching is the "all in one" link, there you'll find also the printable version.

Breaks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh brilliant, thanks !equilibrium :).

Nah I never ran Ubuntu on the specified workstation above unfortunately, it was previously ran on my old Dell machine. I'm just wondering, on that setup above, I'm guessing the best choice is still 32bit and not 64bit? As the drivers and what not for 64bit Ubuntu was touch and go iffy on working or not, so I'm guessing its a similar situation with Gentoo 64bit? What release would you suggest I use?
smerf
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, offtopic post: Breaks, of course a have to admit, that my signature is adapted from fortune... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: