difference between genkernel and manual compilation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sosoisl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: difference between genkernel and manual compilation Reply with quote

hi,

the first time i installed gentoo on my pc i used genkernel to compile gentoo , but then i found that some drivers are missing so i had to select them using make menuconfig and then recompile the kernel using : make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

so , now for the dual boot loader am i a genkernel or nongenkernel and did this miss up my system ???

Thanks,
sosoisl
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosoisl,

You are still genkernel, since you only changed its kernel configuration to add more modules.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the title is very misleading? :)
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread made me think... Does anyone know why there aren't more modules selected in the default genkernel? I've noticed that many of the sound modules aren't set to compile as modules (or at all).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt,

The kernel sound is not selected by genkernel to allow you to use emerge alsa-drivers if you choose.
Gentoo is about choice - you could not use alsa-drivers if the kernel modules were included.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there are a few default-configs that i just find strange... or even chaneing in the r-versions!?! So i always use "genkernel --menuconfig blabla".

I find the name "genkernel" good, because its not just the compilation steps. (boot partition mounting, copy the image, makeing a superb initramfs etc.)

@sosoisl

Don't forget to copy the newly-created image in the boot partition. And name it like your genkernel-image! -Otherwise it might claim about unknown symbols... :wink:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad,

I find most of the genkernel defualt configuration options strange until you rememebr its intended to produce a kernel that will boot for most people. When you are making a kernel for one PC, why would you want an initrd at all?
Well, I can think of two reasons splashimage and 3rd party kernel modules needed for mounting root, like dm-raid

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I can think of two reasons splashimage and 3rd party kernel modules needed for mounting root, like dm-raid

Yes, i also like it for nfs-booting, home-brew livecds, and so on.. (mounting a squash-root over nfs was never so easy! :wink: )

I really understand that it should be a general-config, but what does "most people" mean? Do most people build servers? Desktops? sata, scsi, ide?
There are so many options that can mess up a boot.. And what about the network-drivers? If the config should fit most of the users, why are normal 10/100/1000 nics not all enabled? How many users really need infiniband or even fddi, token-ring and so on instead of a 3c905 or so? Iptables is also a good example which is disabled most of the time, but should not affect on boot. Why is it disabled? Ipv6 is enabled, but not multicasting or tunneling!?!
Sometimes it looks like genkernel would generate the first config somehow, but on the other hand it sometimes looks more like "cat /dev/urandom >.config" :wink:

Nevermid, i fell in love with genkernel! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: