View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bork_bigjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: xmodmap not working from xprofile with KDM Reply with quote

I've been trying to configure xmodmap to automatically load some definitions for the multimedia keys on my laptop keyboard. It works fine when I execute the command manually, but I am not able to get it to work automatically on boot. I've tried putting my command in both ~/.xprofile and /etc/xprofile. The file is a single line
Code:
/usr/bin/xmodmap /etc/Xmodmap.local

(/etc/Xmodmap.local is my own Xmodmap file). This has no effect. I've checked that the scripts are being sourced (by touching a file in /tmp), so I know the scripts are being executed. When I execute the command manually from the command line, it works correctly.

Any suggestions? I know there are other places to stick this adjustment, but I'd like to keep it somewhere that will take effect for all users and will survive portage updates. I know this has been discussed at length in a number of other places, but none of those discussions seem to fit my problem. I'd appreciate any help you can offer! Thanks.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a login manager like KDM? If so it will source ~./xprofile.

If the file is for your local access, better to name it something like ~/.Xmodmap and call it from your ~/.xprofile

This is what I have in ~/.xprofile
Code:
/usr/bin/xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
bork_bigjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes, I am using KDM. However, I have already tried what you suggest. The call to xmodmap has no effect from that file, nor from /etc/xprofile. As I mentioned, I've verified that these files are actually being called by including a second line that writes to a file in /tmp. The file gets written, but I still have to manually re-execute the same xmodmap command that I have in /etc/xprofile or ~/.xprofile.

My conclusion is that xmodmap is being called but either having no effect or having its effects undone. I'm wondering if something else is running xmodmap after me and flushing my alterations, but that's just a guess.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you aren't running any xmodmap operations in ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, or ~/.bash_login?

Edit: I guess it wouldn't be that as they run before ~/.xprofile is sourced anyways.
bork_bigjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, this is the first time I've added xmodmap to anything on this machine. I grepped for xmodmap in my home directory and in /etc and didn't come up with anything out of the ordinary. The only hits in /etc were in standard files. There were some references to bad xkb interactions, but I haven't done any customizations at all so I don't know if I need to worry about this.
languitar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone find a solution for this problem. Actually I've noticed the same problem. That's really annoying.

Thanks
Johannes
bork_bigjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not yet... I've just been living without the functionality. I'd love to have a fix, but no time to investigate it for now.
languitar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a bug? There seem to be many people with a working configuration like this.
Kidov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to make executable script and putting it under ~/.kde/Autostart folder?

My own example:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "keycode 175 ="
/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 7 6 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32"
languitar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works, but it's too slow for e.g. muting the sound before the startup-jingle turns on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: