cannot mount cdrom in vmware... ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noexen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: cannot mount cdrom in vmware... ? Reply with quote

hi i was just about installing a samba server with gentoo 2004.3 in a virtual machine, everything worked well, but i cannot mount the cdrom?
thats absolutely strange i tried everything, mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 or mount /dev/hdc, with and without -t, with fstab entry auto or with iso9660, automount and manual, no idea it just does not work. i tried to mount the cdrom under vmware both as legacy or exclusive...
any suggestions?

i tried to mount a package CD because -->

besides, i got another big problem, most progs i tried to merge where just plain simple not available anymore. i cannot merge dhcpcd,slocate,samba,rpm... etc. etc. the mirrors did not contain the files anymore. also i cannot find some of these files emerge could not find by searching throught google to install em manually, f.e. for samba i need libtiff-3.6.1-alt-bound-fix2.patch -> no chance to find it.

same with gentoo 2005.1r1 - i tried to install a 2005.1r1 online with the 2.6.12 kernel... first emerge could not find the genpatches, now that wasnt funny at all but ok i downloaded and installed them manually, but after all, i wasnt abled to merge GRUB !!! BIG ROFL! this is absolutely unbelievable that these essential things arent available through the defined mirrors.

umm, any way to update emerge so it uses NEW mirrors where it CAN FIND these files?
after 2 installations and about 8 hours i really feel like "fuckit" and about to install kanotix or trustix or whatever.

i now have a working 2004.3 with 2.4.27 kernel and all i want is rpm, slocate and samba + i dont want it to take me a week to search and install the files manual.

thanks in advance,
stephan.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noexen

2004.3 is no longer supported. The files you need may well not be on the Gentoo mirrors any more.
You should update your profile, emerge --sync, then emerge world -uDN to get a currently supported install.

Your CD is probably a SCSI or SCSI generic device, since Vmware virtualises it for you,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
noexen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi neddy, thank you for your reply.

i know that 2004.3 is no longer supported but how is it possible that for installation procedure needed things like grub arent available for 2005.1, a not even 1 year old release.
how could i install such OS for business purpose? for 2006.0, its not different. in one year (or maybe less?) grub not available anymore?

besides i was about to install 2004.3 because i liked to use the 2.4 kernel and i have worked with it as for server purpose. i have no experience with the 2.6 kernel.

for the mount problem, the cdrom is physically there. f.e. i can configure the dev with hdparm, but i just cannot mount it, its really weird.

i have in my fstab the usual

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro
also tried
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro

i tried to mount it with mount -t auto (or iso9660) /dev/cdroms/cdrom0( or dev/hdc) /mnt/cdrom
its about to mount read-only but i get the usual wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/* or too many mounted file systems
error.

i remember i have read some time ago there could be something with a missing link or something, is that possible?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noexen,

All the sources you need are still avaliable, but you will have to hunt for them.
They are no longer on the gentoo mirrors.
Code:
emerge <target> -fp
will give you a list of urls that you need - locate the files it asks for and put them in /usr/portage/distfiles

Old versions of sources are not normally needed for new installs becuase you would be expected to do an
Code:
emerge --sync
as part of the install process, so you actually intsalled the latest versions of everything. You can still run a 2.4 kernel with a 2006.0 install - just choose the right profile. I don't know if Gentoo keeps copies of all the upstream sources that ebuilds use.

Gentoo does not have releases line a binary distro. The 2004.3 install CD you are using was produced at the end of 2004. However, the version of Gentoo you install with it is related to your portage snapshot of choice or your emerge --sync. Thats not related to the install media at all. I still use a 1.4-rc4 liveCD but I get Aug 3, 2006 installs.

The mount problem could be related to the NLS and CODEPAGE defualts and choices you have made in the kernel.
This is a problem usually seen outside the USA, where the defualts work. You must ensure that you have made the character sets that you need to display filenames, or you must pass mount the codepage option and give it a codepage you have built.
Later versions of mount have a better error message.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi noexen.

What host are you using for vmware? Are you sure that you have the cdrom drive configured for the cd and not for an iso? Have you tried mounting another cd?
Your argument about Gentoo not keeping the files in the mirrors means that you don't understand Gentoo's release cycle. Unlike some comercial products, such as SLES, Gentoo doesn't promise to support a release for N years. However, there's an even more important misconception on your part. In Gentoo, a release is nothing more than a install medium and a profile. You can keep any system up to date, without having to reinstall - you just need to update the Portage tree with emerge --sync and to update the system with emerge -uDav system + emerge -uDav world or emwrap.sh and friends. That means that you can have an up to date system that was last installed 3 or 4 years ago, but it also means that if you take too long to update, you get into trouble.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
noexen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u use a microsoft windows 2oo3 server.
i configured the cdrom as drive...
Quote:
for the mount problem, the cdrom is physically there. f.e. i can configure the dev with hdparm, but i just cannot mount it, its really weird.

and i tried some other cds. besides i tried to mount the 2004.3 package cd. w/e i will find out why it does not work, sooner or later =/

probably i did not understand the portage concept at all, thats true. but to be true, im not experienced with gentoo at all.
i do standard stage3 installs for my small file server needs, thats it.

and m thankful for any help provided here in the forum, thanks alot.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you have the drive mounted on vmware? What version are you using? Vmware player, workstation, GSX server, server or ESX server?

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: