mytharchive ebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Vandalay
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: mytharchive ebuild? Reply with quote

is there any chance that an ebuild for mytharchive will come anytime soon for gentoo? or is someone working on an ebuild?

it looks and sounds like a huge improvement on mythburn and i really dont want to risk messing with my working mythbox by installing non ebuilds. but in saying that i think mytharchive is becoming one of the more popular mythtv add ons.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: mytharchive ebuild? Reply with quote

Art Vandalay wrote:
is there any chance that an ebuild for mytharchive will come anytime soon for gentoo? or is someone working on an ebuild?

In a situation like that, just check bugzilla ( https://bugs.gentoo.org/ ) and see if there's a bug for an ebuild request. Perhaps someone is working on one. If they aren't, just file an "ebuild request for foo" bug.

If its going to be included in 0.20 of mythtv, just hang tight .. I think it's going to be released soon, anyway.

Art Vandalay wrote:
... i really dont want to risk messing with my working mythbox ..

man ... no freaking kidding. If it works great, no touchy.
Art Vandalay
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: mytharchive ebuild? Reply with quote

beandog wrote:

If its going to be included in 0.20 of mythtv, just hang tight .. I think it's going to be released soon, anyway.

excellent news, didnt know that. definitely will wait for 0.20 then. thanks
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my bad, I meant 0.19.1 is supposed to be released soon.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap

I have no idea if its planned for inclusion or not, though. I'd have to poke around.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixes releases aren't going to get official releases, since they apply fixes all the way up to the next release. It's been posted on myth-dev that it's up to distributions to make snapshot releases of 19.1 available. They are in 'wrap-up mode' for 0.20 however, so the next release is expected in the next month or two.

Also, mytharchive got moved into the standard mythplugins branch today, so making an ebuild might even be a little bit easier.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any chance that an ebuild for mytharchive will come anytime soon for gentoo? or is someone working on an ebuild?

I have a working ebuild for about 2 months now. Everything works great for me. I have a script that updates the svn then creates a snapshot then bumps the ebuild to install that snapshot. I would release it here but I edited a few files in the myth tree to get mytharchive to compile with the other pluggins so it would take some time to get it out. And time for me is in very short supply. However, if there is enough interest I could spend the time to do this.

[EDIT]One big word of warning. Since the schema is changed with the new release this will break mythburn and it is not very easy to get back unless you have a backup of your database.[/EDIT]

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
thechosen0ne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Interest! Reply with quote

@drescherjm: Yes, please!

It looks like a bug has been open for quite a while now

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132547

At least post what you have and people can start tweaking on it.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things I forgot to mention. Since mytharchive requires the svn version of mythtv my script updates the plugins, mythtv and the themes. And I have bump ebuilds for all the programs affected.

Quote:

Ok. I may look at it later today.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest! Reply with quote

thechosen0ne wrote:

I'd like to see it too! :D
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, mytharchive got moved into the standard mythplugins branch today, so making an ebuild might even be a little bit easier.

I did not know that as the last time I updated was July 15th. I will have to update my scripts accordingly. I am hopeful that this change will make my changes to the source configure step unnecissary so that it will be very easy for me to release.

Also, as the day goes on I don't believe I will get to this today (way too busy with a project at work that looks like I have to take home tonight...) but I will try later week.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
thechosen0ne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a super-basic ebuild on the bug page: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132547

The ebuild might work if MythArchive were part of the mythplugins-0.19 tarball, but since it's not, someone more knowledgeable than myself is going to need to take a look. Basically all I did was fill in the dependency info based on the versions that are available in portage, but hey, every little bit helps, right?
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the mytharchive that you need an ebulid for. Actually you need to download the entire source for mythplugins, myththemes and mythtv from the subversion sources and you need to bump the ebuilds for everything in myth so that all plugins, themes and mythtv itself all have the same verson. Mythtv will not load plugins that differ in version and I do not mean 0.19 vs 0.18. For example 0.19.20060708-1 is the version of mythtv that I am using. Also for mytharchive to install the mythtv.eclass file needs to be modifyied so that it installs the same way as all othe plugins. I am actually currently working on all of this right at the moment...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got my mytharchive to compile with only one simple modification of my ebuild (remove a patch I created to stop mytharchive from reencoding to 720x480). Now I am testing the rest of the packages.

After that I need to find the best way to release this as I don't believe posting like 20 files a single bug report at bugs.gentoo.org is good behavior...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished: I dumped everything on a web page here: http://users.adelphia.net/~drescherjm/MythTV/

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And with documentation to go with it too!

[Edit]Of course, now that you've posted, I just figured out that my hacked up svn ebuilds are working now that mytharchive has been moved to the mythplugins branch...[/Edit]
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: 0.19 compatibility? Reply with quote

If I upgrade my server to this SVN release will it be able to serve 0.19 clients? I noted that there is some sort of database change associated with 0.20.

I have a diskless front-end which will not be nearly as easy to upgrade as gentoo (I'd need to cross-compile for EPIA and build a new root filesystem for it). Plus, I'm in production. On the other hand, I have a patch to put an icon on the program list for whether the preserve flag is set and I wouldn't mind having early access to that...
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely not, they need to be the same version of the myth protocol. It's currently at version 30 and there's been a few bumps up since the 0.19 release.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes-X wrote:
Most likely not, they need to be the same version of the myth protocol. It's currently at version 30 and there's been a few bumps up since the 0.19 release.

Yes, its worth nothing that before you change *anything* on mythtv versions, to do a complete snapshot of your mythconverg database.

Upgrading mythtv is a one way street, as far as the database goes. So if you want to roll back, you'll have to drop mythconverg and reload your snapshot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: