Wireless install not possible for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sephknows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Wireless install not possible for me? Reply with quote

Hello. I read some of these threads and have concluded that most likely, wireless installation is not possible for me. To make sure, I will give a few specs for my comp and ask if anyone here can verify this to be not possible. Thanks in advance!

Intel Pentium 3
696 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

This is a laptop btw so I do not know the internal specs besides that. Here is my wireless card specs:

802.11b WiFi
"MN-520" but I think this only applies to Windows?

I attempted many times to get the eth0 or eth1 working through net-setup and i have not succeeded. I even wrote down all the info for my SSID and etc. It just fails to recognize my wireless network through ifconfig and iwconfig.
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwconfig and ifconfig will not show your card until you have loaded a driver for your card. I assume that your card is a Microsoft MN-520.
Usually if you have problems with hardware, you should run
Code:
lspci -v

find the hardware there and post all the info you get from lspci.

Anyway, if I'm right about your card, it should work on Linux with the "orinoco_cs" kernel module. Try a
Code:
modprobe orinoco_cs

If this fails, you have to go back to your kernel configuration and activate the module there. In most cases PCMCIA cards are automatically detected by the kernel and the needed modules are loaded without you having to do anything. Therefore I reckon that you don't have compiled the module, yet.
sephknows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the modprobe code you gave me, and absolutely nothing happened. No next was output, just the cursor moved to the next line as usual.

I used the other code but there were 5 or 6 very long and scary paragraphical data structures and I would rather copy specific information than the entire output. So is there anything in that output I should look for specifically to copy to this forum? Or should I *shudder* copy all of it?
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephknows wrote:
Well I tried the modprobe code you gave me, and absolutely nothing happened. No next was output, just the cursor moved to the next line as usual.
If modprobe just return a prompt that means it was succesful. You can check with lsmod that the module was loaded.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
sephknows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I assumed, that it meant it successfully loaded. However after loading it, I was unable to properly set up the network still. Is there a step after the modprobe I am missing?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephknows,

If the modprobe worked, ifconfig -a should show your new interface.
That means you have it - its not yet operational

You need to do
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
if its called wlan0, then you can use iwconfig to set the crypto and get the wireless link up with your access point.
Code:
 iwconfig -h
will show you the commands.

With the wireless running you can use
Code:
net-setup wlan0
if its wlan0 to get an IP address.
Now, it should be working

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
sephknows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the modprobe, and then followed it up with the "ifconfig -a" command. This returns only "lo" just as "ifconfig" would by itself. Again, there are still no networks available. Then I attempted "ifconfig wlan0 up" and it returned the same error as "ifconfig eth0" and "ifconfig eth1" had before: "No such device."

Any more ideas?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephknows,

The module loaded but it appears its not the right module for your wireless card or the interface whould have been listed in
Code:
ifconfig -a
or something else is missing, like firmware ?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
sephknows
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be useful in helping me for you to know that when installing Ubuntu, I was able to connect to the internet when I enabled eth0 in the network property thingoh. Perhaps I could boot into Ubuntu and get some more useful information for you all? If so, let me know what to look for and I'll post it within Ubuntu to you all =)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephknows,

You can boot into any liveCD and install Gentoo. The Gentoo instide your install comes from the stage 3 tarball, not the CD when you do a network install. The name of your ethernet device is not important as long as you know it and use it in commands. I was using wlan0 as a place holder but you only had lo.

There are some additional install steps over and above the normal handbook if you use another liveCD. The Knoppix steps should apply to Ubuntu too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
jsfan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might be useful in helping me for you to know that when installing Ubuntu, I was able to connect to the internet when I enabled eth0 in the network property thingoh. Perhaps I could boot into Ubuntu and get some more useful information for you all? If so, let me know what to look for and I'll post it within Ubuntu to you all =)

If you boot into a system where the wireless card works, you could do
Code:
uname -a
and
Code:
lsmod
there and post the output here. This way we know what kind of modules are loaded and what kind of kernel you're working on. If you could post the same info for your Gentoo system as well, this would be very helpful, too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: