Install CD with different kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polyglot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Install CD with different kernel? Reply with quote

I have an adaptec aic7892 (AHA19160) which doesn't work with kernels post-2.6.12 or so. I have a semi-working system running on 2.6.10 but want to reinstall it to get rid of a bunch of 3-years-old crap and umpteen incompatible libraries. I've been running this install since a bit before 1.4 so it's got a lot of old crap. My hugin broke (upgraded something it depended on) and the new one won't compile, which is a major problem for me.

Problem is, I can't boot the 2006.0 install CD because the kernel on it panics when it sees my scsi controller. My system disc is attached to that controller.

Can someone please tell me how to build a new boot CD image (the minimal one) that contains my known-working kernel and all the apparatus for bootstrapping a fresh gentoo install?

Any pointers much appreciated.

I do have a working grub with my kernel in it on the hdd. Can someone give me some idea of what sort of grub commands I'd need to boot this kernel with the 2006.0 minimal CD as the root and initrd etc?

thanks
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not simply use the install media used to install the existing operating system and proceed as though you were using a different distribution to install Gentoo? It would likely be much less hassle.
polyglot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just burnt myself a 2005.0 installer which should have something before 2.6.12 and will give that a go.

Can't use the existing install to launch from because I'm overwriting it.
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you actually are able to get this far, have you tried "gentoo doscsi" when it reaches the boot: screen?

Don't mean to treat you like an idiot, but sometimes it's the little things...
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have misunderstood, polyglot, I was not inquiring as to why you did not use the current install to install a new system over itself, I was inquiring as to why you were not using the media you used to install the current system to install the new sytem.
polyglot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory: I initially misunderstood, yes. However, my previous install was from a 1.4 pre-release umpteen years ago and I have since lost the CD.
filterpunk: yeah, tried that... in fact, that was in the commandline on my first boot attempt. It locks up or panics (depending on other options) while modprobing aic79xx.

Turns out the 2005.0 CD booted fine since it has 2.6.11(?) on it. Booted from that, untarred the 2006.0 stage1 and portage-image and it's all good now. As of last night, I have fresh new everything and X is up.

thanks for the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: