F-Spot Import Tagging Defective
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: F-Spot Import Tagging Defective Reply with quote

I just emerged F-Spot and it seems like a great application. However when I Import photos and select the "Attach Tag" checkbox, it doesn't attach the tag. I've tried selecting the box before browsing to the directory, and after. I've tried with already created tags and creating new tags. This is very frustartiong, searching google and the forums gives me nothing. This is very anoying. If anyone else has experianced this or better yet knows why this is happening and how to fix it please reply.

Another annoyance I managed to work around is that f-spot insits that it store it's settings in your home directory. I want to keep the settings and photos on my network in a public directory so everyone on multiple computers can access it. I wrote a small bash script.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
HOME=/netdirs/public/fspot
f-spot

Nice how I have to use bash to work around a stupid limitation. Now I understand why pepople have issues with Gnome apps, less configurablility. But other than this seems like a great app, and I know it's still beta.

BTW, I'm not a Gnome or KDE fanboy, so don't think my comment about Gnome is just bashing, I use XFCE4.4beta2, best stable WM/DE at the moment. e17 should be great, someday.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: F-Spot Import Tagging Defective Reply with quote

jdmulloy wrote:
However when I Import photos and select the "Attach Tag" checkbox, it doesn't attach the tag. experianced this or better yet knows why this is happening and how to fix it please reply.

That feature works here without a problem. I'm running f-spot 0.1.11 -- what version do you run?

jdmulloy wrote:
Another annoyance I managed to work around is that f-spot insits that it store it's settings in your home directory.

Storing settings in the home directory is a widely-used practice, and many apps that do this do not allow you to store your settings elsewhere -- try changing .vimrc or .cvsrc, to name just two console apps. But there's an easier workaround than the script you posted -- symlink the .gnome2/f-spot/ directory to your network f-spot directory.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the script so that both the settings and photos go to a network location. the settings and photos go to seprate locations. f-spot seems like a grat application, but not being able to share it is a big limitation. How does a family use it to organize photos if it only works on one user account on only one computer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: