View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capkin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: etc-update screwed all my config files Reply with quote

I used to get some error messages whenever I switched to root using su -. In a web site, I saw that the problem could be fixed by running etc-update. After running it, and overriding bunch of stuff I screwed up most of my configuration. Is there a way to recover?
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this situation and I'm always a bit stressed when running etc-update! I always read carrefully which file are giong to be updated...
Hopefully etc-update generates backups of modified files, you should be able ro retrieve them but you should remember, at least, how etc-update has renamed backup files (I don't remember it myself, sorry)
zietbukuel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont't know how to recover your old config, but I suggest you to use cfg-update instead of etc-update, I think is's better :)
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find '*_.cfg' files