[SOLVED] Install with no netcards
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Install with no netcards Reply with quote

I have a problem..

I am trying to install Gentoo using the Installation CD, but it don't detects any of my netcards..
They are as follow:

Intel Pro Wireless 3945
and
Realtek Gigabit 8169...

They are listet in the pci-list, but is still marked as unknown, and modprobe r8169 doesn't help.

Iv'e tried anything mentioned in the forum, disabling different things in the boot-commandline, but nothing helps, really...

I've tried compiling the ipw3945-driver, but it can't because if issues in the ieee80211-module/source...

Any suggestions on how to install?

Last edited by bennedk on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install Gentoo using the distfiles provided, while compiling your kernel built the cards into kernel, reboot and sync.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Realtek Gigabit 8169
There's an R8168 which is a PCI Express version of the r8169 which the r8169 driver will run but hasn't (until the 2.6.18 kernel) the new PCI Id in its table.

You might like to use the Ubuntu LiveCD, which has support for a wide range of network cards, to install Gentoo according to the The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO. The Knoppix method will probably do.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try installing the system with a downloaded stage3-file from another cd - and then go on installing the network... If that approach doesn't work, I'll try Ubuntu - and then post a message here.

Thanks for the advices :)
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, see, this is getting fun...

I bootet with a Knoppix 3.8-livecd, and got further in the installation, but I can't find Portage or the command mirrorselect... :(

And the funny part is, that I can't see my network cards - properly because I have to boot with the bootoption "failsafe", or the the init-process will hang right as it begins..

So... What are my options... I a'm stuckt in the beginning of part 6 - Installing the Gentoo Base System in the Handbook..
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update.. I tried mounting the drivers in Knoppix - nothing happend - both cards are recognized in lspci, but tagged with Unknown device.

I tried with latest stable of Gnoppix - but it tries to do an installation rather than helping me - not much luck there either...

Is it possible to do a installation (stage3) without using networkaccess on the machine? I've read in the FAQ about a networkless stage1 installation - but I can't quite map it with the stage3...

Any suggestions? Even if I have to start all over.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From About the Gentoo Linux Installation it looks as though the LiveCD will have all the packages needed to get a working Gentoo installation without network access.

However, even when you have this, it's chicken-and-egg as you need the network to download the latest kernel and drivers for your network cards.

Perhaps you could check the Ubuntu LiveCD to see whether it has the network drivers you need. If it has, then you should be able to use it to get a Gentoo installation which you can update with the kernel and network drivers you need.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ubuntu itself a liveCD, cause I can't seem to find a version called liveCD? I'll try downloading it anyway...

Thanks again,
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a LiveCD and installer (just tried it to be sure). You can run from a Gnome terminal or, if you prefer, Alt-Ctrl-F1 to get a virtual console.

Best of luck!
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Ubuntu detected both network card, and I am currently running a working wireless connection..

But the problems don't stop here..

I made a /mnt/gentoo-directory, and when I try to mount my drive (JFS) on it, it fails.. Command used;
Code:
# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

When I mount my ext2-bootdrive there is no problem, so I guss JFS might be the reason..

Error dispayed:

mount: wrong fs type, bad partition, bad superblock on /dev/sda3, missing codepage or other error...

I also tried mount with -t jfs, no luck either...

dmesg | tail shows me this;
JFS: nTxBlock = 8192, nTxLock = 65536

I'll googling around, but any help would be great - thanks :)
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsck solved the problem..
I continue :)

Edit:

Next problem - no mirrorselect - not in ubuntu, and not in the gentoo-filesystem.

Suggestions? Or how is the make.conf structure?
I can se PORTAGE_BINHOST is set to a FTP, but is that what I am looking for?
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. I gotta RTFM.. GENTOO_MIRRORS set, and we're on the road..

Thanks!
bennedk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Install with no netcards Reply with quote

Gentoo is up and running..
Thanks for the help :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: