Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.18-rc4-viper1: Ah, Now That Hit The Spot | Plugsched!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanisete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case someone has problems with this kernel and samba from win machines, take a look at this patch. It's included in rc5.

Hope it helps!
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Planning on next release, should we keep Plugsched, or drop it for a Tunable Staircase?

Keep plugsched.
a7thson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm in the minority here with support for tunable staircase over plugsched. Again, if viper- is designed as a testbed for emission much as beyond-dev is for beyond-, it makes the most sense to follow along the course you eventually want for emission. If on the other hand you want viper- to stand on its own, anything goes and use whatever you want to eventually have the kernel support. It seems weird to have a testing- and stable- version of a kernel patchset that differ in major points of architecture however, unless those changes are "in testing" because they're intended to be included in the mainline source eventually and something else is to be phased out.

darklegion wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
Planning on next release, should we keep Plugsched, or drop it for a Tunable Staircase?

Keep plugsched.

AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:

I say keep Plugsched. I don't know if it is the PPC or not, but I don't find Staircase to be that impressive.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a7thson wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority here with support for tunable staircase over plugsched. Again, if viper- is designed as a testbed for emission much as beyond-dev is for beyond-, it makes the most sense to follow along the course you eventually want for emission. If on the other hand you want viper- to stand on its own, anything goes and use whatever you want to eventually have the kernel support. It seems weird to have a testing- and stable- version of a kernel patchset that differ in major points of architecture however, unless those changes are "in testing" because they're intended to be included in the mainline source eventually and something else is to be phased out.

darklegion wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

Keep plugsched.

Yeah, I had originally toyed with the idea of plugsched in -emission, but decided to go a different route. What I will probably do with -viper, if I get enough votes for plugsched, is make a 'plugsched' use flag for those that still want it.
a7thson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:

Yeah, I had originally toyed with the idea of plugsched in -emission, but decided to go a different route. What I will probably do with -viper, if I get enough votes for plugsched, is make a 'plugsched' use flag for those that still want it.

Excellent. I'm looking forward to the next (pre)release as this first release of 2.8.18-rc4-viper has been rock-solid and in heavy rotation. This week I did a pretty painless upgrade to modular X (Xorg-7.1) from 6.9 and it was almost too easy, so I've been struggling with issues in XGL+Compiz+cgwd on ati which has unfortunately been reboot after reboot. Now most of it seems to be working and it's time to move on to a new was to frustrate myself - JACK audio support... I've been running staircase, with CFQ as you suggested, and have (subjectively) seen great performance... which is all that matters to me on a personal/fun machine. We'll see how it holds up with some jack and realtime audio-mixing action.
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been using -viper1 as my main kernel for a few weeks now and really approved of the 'feel' of performance and stability of the kernel. I actually switched over from no-sources, as I had problems in there that have since been solved with the timer stability (I run on amd64).

Just a couple of days ago I started to try/switched to -emission7 as my DVD playback hasn't yet worked with any of the 2.6.18-rcX kernels. A couple of others have reported the same DVD problem but I haven't seen a solution out there yet....

Anyway, I think that -viper felt slightly smoother in my daily desktop use, but with the site down I haven't been able to download the emission-tunables script to use with -emission7. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use that script to tweak the staircase scheduler settings a bit to get that "smoother feel" back...! (btw, I was using nicksched in -viper).

Thanks for maintaining both of these excellent kernel releases!
r00t440
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, my root partition is Reiser4, it seems that it can't recognize the partition. I probably have missed something in the config. Will someone help me? I just need to know which configs are necessary for R4. I'm sure i've built R4 support into my kernel. I've tried no-sources, and fortunately it boots fine. Thanks for any help.

UPDATE:
My bad! I forgot that my chipset was SiS, I compiled my kernel with only VIA chip. T_T... I'll try rebooting my kernel. ^^

Last edited by r00t440 on Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if you had this for 2.6.18-r5.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
It'd be nice if you had this for 2.6.18-r5.

In progress.
r00t440
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

immudium wrote:
Anyway, other than that, this release has been running great for me the last few days. Reiser4 + lockless is running without issue despite my efforts to break it by yanking the power in the middle of writing data, copying big data blocks from ntfs, and lots of I/O. Stuff that has easily broken reiser4 in the past hasn't caused any inconsistencies at least that can be detected by multiple fsck tests. Also, I haven't had any problems at all compiling the 1.0.8762 nvidia drivers with this release.

doing ls on a certain directory gives me this:
Code:
ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

it's on a reiser4 partition, this is probably a r4 issue. I've been using r4 for over 2 years now, and this is my first time to encounter some glitch with my fs.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00t440 wrote:
immudium wrote:
Anyway, other than that, this release has been running great for me the last few days. Reiser4 + lockless is running without issue despite my efforts to break it by yanking the power in the middle of writing data, copying big data blocks from ntfs, and lots of I/O. Stuff that has easily broken reiser4 in the past hasn't caused any inconsistencies at least that can be detected by multiple fsck tests. Also, I haven't had any problems at all compiling the 1.0.8762 nvidia drivers with this release.

doing ls on a certain directory gives me this:
Code:
ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

it's on a reiser4 partition, this is probably a r4 issue. I've been using r4 for over 2 years now, and this is my first time to encounter some glitch with my fs.

fsck.reiser4 your partition
r00t440
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:

apparently, it's my root partition. how do I force check my root partition at boot? fsck tells me that my partition is clean. TIA. :D
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00t440 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

apparently, it's my root partition. how do I force check my root partition at boot? fsck tells me that my partition is clean. TIA. :D

You need boot to a bootdisk to do it.
r00t440
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
You need boot to a bootdisk to do it.

Just as I thought... Thanks!
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspend to disk hangs while 'Doing atomic copy.' I haven't been able to find any error messages that might explain it. However, it works just fine* with suspend2-sources-2.6.18. I don't want to flood the thread with excessive info, so please let me know what information would be helpful in nailing down the point of failure.

*With one exception: Firefox crashes during suspending.
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberPinguin wrote:
Suspend to disk hangs while 'Doing atomic copy.' I haven't been able to find any error messages that might explain it. However, it works just fine* with suspend2-sources-2.6.18. I don't want to flood the thread with excessive info, so please let me know what information would be helpful in nailing down the point of failure.

*With one exception: Firefox crashes during suspending.

This kernel is a bit old. If I were you'd I'd upgrade to -emission1.
UberPinguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks. I just stumbled onto it, and it seemed like the latest version.

BTW, what is the major difference between staircase and plugsched? Is one demonstrably better than the other?
You see, instead of arguing from ignorance, and fear, there is only one way to verify a theory. And that's not by clutching a black book and begging the sky fairy for deliverance from the mad scientists and their big machines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: