how can I remotely configure cups?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: how can I remotely configure cups? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a gentoo server which I want to run a printer off using cups.

I believe you can only log onto cups' web config interface from the local machine, ie http://localhost:631

however, as my server has no X, is there a way I can remotely configure the printer from a client machine on my network? (I'm sure there is, I just don't know how!)

cheers!!
Mpemba Effect
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your cups.conf - there two place to need to edit one here
Code:
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 10.0.0.*
</Location>

and the other right at the bottom
Code:
## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 10.0.0.*

Just do a search for "Allow From" and you should see it. I think the config file was originally "Allow From 127.0.0.1" but i've changed mine to any machine on my network 10.0.0.*
Sarah
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In additon to what Mpemba did, I also had to add a "Listen..." line for the IP address of the CUPS server. It originally was set to only listen on 127.0.0.1:631 and would not respond to any requests over the LAN. So if the CUPS server is on 10.0.0.1 just add a "Listen 10.0.0.1:631" line.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys that was most helpful!

I did discover I can configure using lynx on the server, however it only seems to want to browse to http://localhost:631 sometimes... so that is weird.

this has solved my issue, HOWEVER - is there a way to get the gimp-print and gimp-print-cups drivers working on a server?

I don't want to have to compile all the dependencies!

The printer is a Samsung ML-1440, which I think only works with the gimp-print drivers (ml-1220).

I have emerged gimp-print and gimp-print-cups with --nodeps, but setting up a printer doesn't show the samsung drivers, only the standard ones that come with cups.

any thoughts? I think I can download a ppd from www.linuxprinting.org - how can I tell cups to use that driver?

thank you both very much!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: