Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has anyone tryed Gentoo-base distro(what are the like)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frog-o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Has anyone tryed Gentoo-base distro(what are the like)? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of gentoo but have a lot of problems with configure it so I relise that i might what to try a gentoo-base install. I see the are many when look at

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=Gentoo&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

********************************************************************************************
Do you know wich of the gentoo-base distro is best for a hard drive install with the most hardware detection and configurations?

Has anyone tryed them yet?
*******************************************************************************************
I would love just to download them all and give them a try but at about 700 mb each(if i caculated right) with some exception, it not to do-able.

I see sabayon linux metion more on the forms but i try there old live cd in the past and there gnome icon show up funcy and behave very stangely. It also said at the time it install with experimantile drivers wich I'm not to keen on

Thank for any help.

Please Note: I edit the form from it's oringal version in an atemp to get better replys

Last edited by frog-o on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Looks more like a chat subject than a problem getting gentoo installed. So moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
emergent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: LiveCD install is broken Reply with quote

I assume you tried to use the LiveCD graphical install? It's broken! As is its command line brother. You are right, partitioning is especialy bad - I could not find a way to turn it off. I guess, a lot of people are going to ruin their hard disks with it. I can recomend only one thing to you - use a minimal install CD (around 50MB) and perform the instalation manually. At some point you will have to download the stage3 tarball and install that, Just follow the Gentoo Instalation Guide. I know it's hard. I'm currently looking for a script that helps with manual instalation. There are some of the unsupported variety. One more thing - please, don't give up on Gentoo. It has a lot of potential and it also has problems - both thechnical and organizational. But I think we can fix them - if we work together.

Best of luck to you,
Emergent
frog-o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honnest, I have not tried the 2006 gentoo grapicacl install I had the gentoo 2005.1 cd oringinally installed. The os was fast to respond but i cold not figure out why my hdtv was stuttering in mplayer and mythtv and I had other problems. The mplayer problem I think was cause of arts being install and wanting to take over when i switch it to mplayer to us arts it got a little bit better. When i tryed to switch my video to x it seem to work right with the art sound drivers. I look at drm with glxinfo and it tell me hardware acceleration turned off. I read gentoo "Hardware 3D Acceleration Guide" guid and I could not git the x11-drm ebuild to compile and the instruction to get it to work from cvs did not seem to work in the how to. The alsoundrc file is missing etc.

I want things to just work witch sabayon linux clam to do but i don't know if it still uses experimnatal drivers.

I was hoping to get a response on pepole experiance with different gentoo-bass binnary install version of linux.
vlos sound promissing but it dose not say if it give any profit back to gentoo for it sail(at least I could not find where it says) wich anoy me. I think it might be release it new version soon tho since you can pre order it but how long now till it dose it dose not say.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frog-o wrote:
I was not happy with how a partened my hard drive.

frog-o wrote:
To be honnest, I have not tried the 2006 gentoo grapicacl install I had the gentoo 2005.1 cd oringinally installed.

Uhh... So you partitioned it MANUALLY then complained that you didn't like how it partitioned?

Shouldn't you be annoyed with yourself instead of gentoo?
bjweeks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to understand gentoo at all.
frog-o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Uhh... So you partitioned it MANUALLY then complained that you didn't like how it partitioned?

Shouldn't you be annoyed with yourself instead of gentoo?

I sorry but you missed understand me.

Who said I was annoyed with gentoo I'm not at least not now. I am agry at my self for the bad partioning ,but the partions was a minnor reason. If any thing i was annoyed buy the lack of Hardware configuration wich was the bigest thing that thou me off the edge anyways.(It probly more accurate to say I was annoyed buy the install of gentoo I done.) I do not blam gentoo for my bad choices .
Did you not notic the part where where I said

Quote:
Now that i come back to earth

I thought this mad it clear buy say that it was my fault anyways.

I understand that gentoo not realy made for this. I just want gentoo to be configure for me and have an easyer and faster install wich alot of the gentoo-base program promise. Do you have a comment on wich gentoo base program work best for what i want?
Keynone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: I am currently using Sabayon Linux Reply with quote

I have been a Gentoo user for 3 years, and then saw Sabayon on www.distrowatch.com and decided to download the Live CD. I LOVE how it looks, but more importantly, how quickly I can have a Gentoo system up and running and be usable. My only issue with Sabayon is their update policy. The founders of it specifically state in their forum to NEVER do "emerge world" as it just causes problems. Their way to update Gentoo is to download the latest CD and do an Update install. According to them, the only use for emerge is for installing specific programs, not to update the system. I don't like that, and if I can figure out how to get the emerge world to work without breaking their system, I will do that and then get back into the Gentoo way of doing things.
Keynone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Sabayon Linux Reply with quote

One thing this distribution does well is the multimedia playback and the AIGLX and XGL support out of the box. The DVD version has just about all the software needed for most users as well.
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frog-o wrote:
I want things to just work witch sabayon linux

Here's my two cents. If you don't understand gentoo, if you can't get stuff to work on gentoo, don't bother with Sabayon or other distros based on gentoo. Because even if you find installing easier, it is still gentoo your are using and very, very soon you will run into problems exactly like the ones you had with gentoo. I know this, because it happened recently to someone I know, and basically there's just no way of making gentoo 'easier'. Don't expect things to 'just work', sometimes it takes a lot of effort to get them working. This is just the way it is and Sabayon may hide that from you temporarily, but ultimately you will still have lots of issues.
Keynone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

numerodix wrote:

Here's my two cents. If you don't understand gentoo, if you can't get stuff to work on gentoo, don't bother with Sabayon or other distros based on gentoo. Because even if you find installing easier, it is still gentoo your are using and very, very soon you will run into problems exactly like the ones you had with gentoo. I know this, because it happened recently to someone I know, and basically there's just no way of making gentoo 'easier'. Don't expect things to 'just work', sometimes it takes a lot of effort to get them working. This is just the way it is and Sabayon may hide that from you temporarily, but ultimately you will still have lots of issues.

I disagree somewhat
I used Gentoo for 3 years and in that time, I had some issues that I searched the forums for, or couldn't solve myself, that Sabayon had working out of the box. I still would like to know how they did it, but when I want to use my pc while figuring that stuff out, I chose to use another Gentoo based distro. I eventually want to convert back to a pure Gentoo system, and I can do that with a Gentoo based distro.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: LiveCD install is broken Reply with quote

emergent wrote:
I assume you tried to use the LiveCD graphical install? It's broken! As is its command line brother.
I have not used the GUI installer, so i can't comment, but the Gentoo Handbook method of installing via the command line is defenitely not broken.

I have been using gentoo since the 1.4 days, and have installed on a number of systems though the years, specifically, 2004.0, 2004.1, 2005.1, 2006.0, 2006.1 (and I may have forgot one or two). Evry time I followed the handbook (including 2006.1) nothing at all has went wrong. In fact I'm pretty sure you can blindly type the commands in and you will still get a working system.

If you have found the command line install broken, then you probably didn't read carefully enough and skipped steps.
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blyuck....I would not recommend Sabayon to anyone. Except maybe for occasional LiveCD use only. I had it installed once....it slowly ate itself away. It always hard locked on me....soon I was missing files, my networking was sketchy (/etc/resolv.conf never existed or was the wrong one or refused to get overwritten), then it just stopped working altogether. Lost my schoolwork, all the work I had done on trying to make my own LiveCD....everything. Miserable.

(Note that this is only what happened to me...it is just after that, I refuse to ever use it again or recommend it.)
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kororra is another option. Never used it, but d/l'ed the live cd once.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just went and installed Gentoo (new PC build) and decided to use the GTK installer

it worked!!! beutifually, it got me to a working, booting system in no time, thus allowing me to now tweak everythin and recompile systen
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donman wrote:
Blyuck....I would not recommend Sabayon to anyone.

I would, but probably only to those who have some experience with Gentoo or who are willing to read the docs online.

You should bear in mind, Sabayon uses closed source binary drivers (however you can disable this on boot)
Also, it uses the unstable branch e.g. /etc/make.conf ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

So if you have an unstable system that's something to consider.
Keynone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

echo6 wrote:
Donman wrote:
Blyuck....I would not recommend Sabayon to anyone.

I would, but probably only to those who have some experience with Gentoo or who are willing to read the docs online.

You should bear in mind, Sabayon uses closed source binary drivers (however you can disable this on boot)
Also, it uses the unstable branch e.g. /etc/make.conf ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

So if you have an unstable system that's something to consider.

I would recommend Sabayon only to someone who wants to be introduced to Gentoo and wants to see what linux can do, and doesn't need to update their system, except when a new version is released. I have Sabayon installed on my machine along with Gentoo, only for the eye candy and the impressive list of software that it includes, some of it I never knew about before, which I try and if I like it, I install it on my Gentoo partition, as Sabayon seems to get slower and slower as the days go by.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: