View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephdrivein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

I have been using gentoo for two years now, on a 3800 X2 amd64, my home box, and I'm not completely satisfied with it. This is not meant to be a rant or how "gentoo sucks" post, I just wish to let you know why Gentoo was not the right distro for me, so maybe those things will be eventually improved and I'll be back. So no flames, please.

Here are the main things I didn't like about Gentoo:
1. Compiling wastes time. Often, I read post by people saying that you should use that time to do something else in the meanwhile, so it's not wasted. But that doesn't change the matter: you'll have to wait.
2. I have often read about improvements given by compiling software directly on the target machine. I don't belive there is any noticeable speed-up. Even if you got 1msec time save every time you run a program, since you probably wasted at least a couple of minutes compiling it, you have to execute it approximatively 120.000 times, then you'll hit the break-even point and you'll start saving a msec every time you run it.
In the end, it may really give you a real small speed increase, but you already wasted it compiling.
3. Portage is horribly broken and terribly slow. It has options (-P) that are known not to work properly and it's marked stable... Being slow it's probably Python's fault. Updating my packages list (the portage tree) alone takes almost 5min on my amd64 X2 with broadband connection. Doh. Aptitude takes real 0m5.774s (from time, sadly I can't post anymore the emerge time...) Download links are down sometimes, some ebuilds are broken, but you can fix them. Not that nice, btw.
4. Removing packages completely is a real pain. You may want to try -P (prune) to remove all unrequired packages, but that's broken... This is a hug problem in my opinion, that should be improved soon.
5. Packages are marked stable even if the developers themselves admit their software is not to be considered stable. That's odd and very different from Debian's stable.
6. Missing or unclear documentation. The official documentation is often outdated or missing, but the unofficial wiki is more up-to-date. Being unofficial, some articles are valuable, others are not. Otherwise you will have to ask on the forums, where the S/N level is very low. Important information is often printed out while compiling. I hate that.
7. Gentoo continuously bugs you until you update the config files of the programs you update. I love the command line, but continuosly editing configs has never been my greatest dream. I have better things to do, thank you.
8. Use flags are use-less. I chose mine when I first installed Gentoo, than changed just a couple in 2 years. And I don't belive they improve the performance that much. In fact, my Gentoo system seems exactly as fast as my previsious Debian system and as the new Debian system.
9. Network configuration is strange and never ended working correctly on my atheros card. I ended disabling all gentoo's net config, writing the scripts myself and having them executed by rc-local. That's not the clean way, that's not how I wish it to be done.

What I liked about it:
1. Software is very up to date.
2. My printer worked out the box. Debian/Ubuntu etc needed some hand configuration, nothing really difficult you need to get udev to flash the printer's firmware every time it's connected. Seeing it working without my assistance surprised me a lot. Good work.
3. Hey, it's linux!

In the end, Gentoo gave me a bad experience. I liked trying it out, but it wasn't surely something that was going to stay.
I'm back to (sweet) Debian.
Good luck.

j.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
Compiling wastes time.

It's the only way to customize the source code, or select compile-time options, or optimize for the particular processor.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

I agree to most points (surprised?), except:

josephdrivein wrote:
2. I have often read about improvements given by compiling software directly on the target machine. I don't belive there is any noticeable speed-up. Even if you got 1msec time save every time you run a program, since you probably wasted at least a couple of minutes compiling it, you have to execute it approximatively 120.000 times, then you'll hit the break-even point and you'll start saving a msec every time you run it.

That's a bit unfair, you don't have to sit in front of your computer and wait for emerge to finish compiling. Other than that I generally agree that there's no real performance increase.

josephdrivein wrote:
3. Portage is horribly broken and terribly slow. It has options (-P) that are known not to work properly and it's marked stable... Being slow it's probably Python's fault. Updating my packages list (the portage tree) alone takes almost 5min on my amd64 X2 with broadband connection. Doh. Aptitude takes real 0m5.774s (from time, sadly I can't post anymore the emerge time...) Download links are down sometimes, some ebuilds are broken, but you can fix them. Not that nice, btw.

s/Portage is horribly broken/Portage is broken in some parts.
I fully agree to the speed issue.

josephdrivein wrote:
5. Packages are marked stable even if the developers themselves admit their software is not to be considered stable. That's odd and very different from Debian's stable.

Ebuild stability is not meant to reflect upstream stability, so no surprise.

josephdrivein wrote:
6. Missing or unclear documentation. The official documentation is often outdated or missing, but the unofficial wiki is more up-to-date. Being unofficial, some articles are valuable, others are not. Otherwise you will have to ask on the forums, where the S/N level is very low. Important information is often printed out while compiling. I hate that.

Hm, Gentoo has the best documentation. I really miss it on other distributions.

josephdrivein wrote:
8. Use flags are use-less. I chose mine when I first installed Gentoo, than changed just a couple in 2 years. And I don't belive they improve the performance that much. In fact, my Gentoo system seems exactly as fast as my previsious Debian system and as the new Debian system.

Use flags are not meant to improve performance in any way.

josephdrivein wrote:
9. Network configuration is strange and never ended working correctly on my atheros card. I ended disabling all gentoo's net config, writing the scripts myself and having them executed by rc-local. That's not the clean way, that's not how I wish it to be done.

Just the other way round for me, network configuration worked great in Gentoo, but now in Kubuntu I use hand written scripts to get wireless up. That sucks.

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
josephdrivein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
I agree to most points (surprised?)

I have to admit, I am a bit surprised. :) I liked your post, thanx for pointing out the error about the use flags.
Btw, Gentoo is a good distribution, even if I'm not running it. Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't supposed to be offensive.
(Ehm, sorry for posting to the wrong section...)

bye
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I did have a bunch of stuffed type out, but it started to sound like a flame so I started over.

In short, It is all about what you want out of your distrubution. Every distro will have it's faults, it is just finding one where the pros outweight the cons. For me, and many others, gentoo fits the bill. Some though find the opposite true, and like the hand-holding that Suse, Mandrake, etc provide.

Not every distro is meant for every linux user. And vice versa. It sucks you didn't like your experience, maybe things will change, but I seriously doubt it, the mainly configuration through text files will probably always be there, I personally enjoy and hopes it does stay that way. I enjoy the features of portage, and it outweights the occansionaly problem. Even the 5 min sync time isn't that bad. I only sync when I do a system update (about once a week) and then I do my emerge at night. So 5 minutes to get all the updates in line, and then a couple of hours to compile ... that 5 minutes is nothing in the long run. Have you tried Windows Update, same sort of thing, and it take 5 minutes just to tell you what you need.

So in the end, could some things be improved, yeah, but every OS out there has those issues, just find one that provides enough to you as a user and outweighs the downsides of it.

Oh yeah, btw, I had the atheros card in my laptop, use the default init scripts without any problems.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
I have been using gentoo for two years now, on a 3800 X2 amd64, my home box, and I'm not completely satisfied with it. This is not meant to be a rant or how "gentoo sucks" post, I just wish to let you know why Gentoo was not the right distro for me, so maybe those things will be eventually improved and I'll be back. So no flames, please.
1. Compiling wastes time. Often, I read post by people saying that you should use that time to do something else in the meanwhile, so it's not wasted. But that doesn't change the matter: you'll have to wait.

heard of multitasking, with your 3800 X2 amd64, there are very few packages for which you will have to wait more than 5-10 minutes to install sth, and upgrading is not a issue as you don't wait..
josephdrivein wrote:
In the end, it may really give you a real small speed increase, but you already wasted it compiling.

well with your processor you'll not see any big difference and you are using the OS as single-task thing
josephdrivein wrote:

<irony>apt-get is much better :)</irony>
josephdrivein wrote:
4. Removing packages completely is a real pain. You may want to try -P (prune) to remove all unrequired packages, but that's broken... This is a hug problem in my opinion, that should be improved soon.

yes, it is really a good idea to have it integrated in portage correctly, but you could use various scripts around for this task.
josephdrivein wrote:

yes, but not that different from ubuntu stable, I haven't heard of desktop users, which use Debian stable
josephdrivein wrote:

<irony>oh debian and ubuntu are much better at this, of course</irony>
josephdrivein wrote:
7. Gentoo continuously bugs you until you update the config files of the programs you update. I love the command line, but continuosly editing configs has never been my greatest dream. I have better things to do, thank you.

<irony>Oh I really love debian/ubuntu absolutly amazing feature, which saves some silly answers to some silly questions, and re-applies them to eternity, I have lost a day hunting this really amazingly usefull feature down, with so much information about it.</irony>
josephdrivein wrote:

yes really, and debian's chopping of packages is much more clever
and yes they are equally fast....
josephdrivein wrote:

I have much worse exeprience with ubuntu than with gentoo, at least I could configure my system the way I want it
oh and good luck with debian-stable, or was it ubuntu-edgy
And this is not a flame, as much as your OP is not a rant.
The problem that the mentioned problems are not the main problems...
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time online, so my system is running anyway. I don't wait for things to finish compiling. It just happens while I'm working on other things. This depends on how you use your system I suppose. Also some people have no problem with a system compiling things while they're out shopping, walking the dog, shagging the wife or whatever.

Configurability is what makes gentoo stand out for me. Performance may or may not be increased by tweaking things a bit. In my opinion most perceived performance benefits are overestimated and overrated.

Portage is still carrying a lot of legacy around. Basically it wasn't designed to cope with the volume of packages that are now in the tree. Developers are working on improving this situation and the two alternative package managers show much promise.

I usually only prune if I run out of diskspace. Packages that are on disk, but not running only take up disk space, which isn't a problem for me as long as disk space is available. I don't think this is a huge problem. And I think anyone should have a pretty good idea of what gets installed on his system anyway. That makes it easier to choose and find things to get rid of if wanted.

Can't comment on this. My experience on ppc has been pretty good with the stable tree. Perhaps some more attention to QA with regards to the keywording procedures might be in order, but I'll leave that to the QA team and the other developers to comment upon.

You can log information messages that ebuilds spit out so you can read them later. Official documentation has been quite good in my opinion and a lot of effort goes in to keeping them uptodate and into creating guides for big updates. Can't say I agree with you here. Part of being part of the community is poking us about documentation too if you feel it is outdated or wrong. Please file bugs people.

The number of packages that come with config files isn't all that large really. And most config files are not modified by me, so I just let those be updated. The few that remain need a bit more attention, but since I know what I want in them that too takes little time. I'd rather have a package manager warn me of updates, than it just trying to merge new and existing config files on its own.

That's a very good use of use flags. Just select the features you want enabled in your applications and that's it. Performance has little to do with it, except in the regard that it allows people to configure packages in such a way that their system use less resources, because they disabled a lot of features. The beauty of use flags is exactly that you get to choose which features you do and which you do not want.

Well, I don't have an atheros card, so I don't know about any possible madwifi madness. Configuring my Airport Extreme was extremely easy, including setting up wpa. Compared to other distributions I've used, gentoo's networking system is very versatile, flexible and easy to use.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
I ended disabling all gentoo's net config, writing the scripts myself and having them executed by rc-local.

There's nothing stopping us from writing our own initscripts in /etc/init.d/, and using them as services. That's what I do for the wireless cards.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
1. Compiling wastes time.
Well then. Source distros aren't for you. You can't please everybody all of the time.
josephdrivein wrote:
2. I have often read about improvements given by compiling software directly on the target machine. I don't belive there is any noticeable speed-up.
Some people think there is. It isn't about "speed" for most people though.
Quote:
it may really give you a real small speed increase, but you already wasted it compiling.
I rarely waste time compiling, because I'm not sitting there staring at the output. I do mail, web browsing, f.g.o, check book, sleep, as well as many other things not with the computer...
josephdrivein wrote:
3. Portage is
Works for me. Sure it lacks some "that would be nice to have" features, but it is also still under development.
josephdrivein wrote:
5. Packages are marked stable even if the developers themselves admit their software is not to be considered stable.
I try not to run "unstable" packages, and don't have problems with stability. I'm on amd64 too.
josephdrivein wrote:
6. The official documentation [vs] the unofficial wiki
Whenever I've tried to use the wiki, I've found the documentation to be wrong, inaccurate, incomplete, or simply so old as to no longer be relevant. My only complaint with official docs is when they cut out information that use to be in them (such as kernel compiling -- I rarely do it, so always look it up).
josephdrivein wrote:
7. Gentoo continuously bugs you until you update the config files of the programs you update.
Well, you're supposed to update config files to make sure there aren't any changes that will cause a problem with the old config and the new program.
josephdrivein wrote:
8. Use flags are use-less. I chose mine when I first installed Gentoo, than changed just a couple in 2 years. And I don't belive they improve the performance that much.
USE flags are for features, not speed. Perhaps you just need to learn more about Gentoo, as it seeems you do not understand it completely.
josephdrivein wrote:
9. Network configuration is strange and never ended working correctly on my atheros card.
Sounds like a problem with the card and not how configuration is handled. Where a config file sits or how its processed isn't going to stop hardware from working. Perhaps it was a kernel issue.

You've mentioned Debian several times, so I'm assuming that is your preferred distro. It's not bad... I had a professor who used it in a class. It worked, but I can't say it impressed me. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing that made me think I needed to switch. Their militant stance on Free/Open software makes it impractical for me.

Every distro can be improved, and not every distro will be the correct choice for every user. To me, most of your "issues" (ignoring the misconceptions) are minor. I certainly hope they'll be addressed sooner rather than later.

Good luck, and have fun with Debian!
antarus
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

k, Gentoo isn't offering binaries, but I think this is a minor critique in and of itself

I apologize if you were misled. Compiling from source provides speed increases for *certain types* of applications in *certain circumstances* and really doesn't provide much else (that you can detect). I regret some of the earlier gentoo material that talks about Gentoo being awesomely fast; which really on a dual core amd64 no one is going to notice anyway outside of a few niche cases.

Well if portage wasn't stable you'd have nothing to install packages with. Same with anything else in SYSTEM, stuff has bugs but we rely on it regardless. Being slow is NOT pythons fault. Portage wasn't designed well from the start (I talked to drobbins a few months ago about that specific issue and he said when he wrote it; it was basically a hack for the developer community of ~100 people). So yeah, it has (what I would call major) design flaws. Zac Medico has also done a ton of stuff over the past year to mitigate those and we all hope he will continue to do so.

Er, howso? Emerge -C? emerge --depclean?

I don't think we market our stable as an equivelant to Debian Stable. If you think we need to make that more clear; perhaps we could do so.

I know our docs team is working on updating many of the guides; but otherwise I agree here (in terms of many of our guides which are old and crusty).

It bugs you when you run emerge ("you have blar # of files to update"). Otherwise I don't see where this is coming from.

Gentoo isn't about speed; it's about options. I would agree if you thought we had too many; or they were too complicated, or not well documented. But not useless ;)

Baselayout is a strange beast; there are days when I think uberlord just loves pissing everyone off with crazy new scripts every three months. Gentoo also has like the most configurable network options known to man ;)

In the end, Gentoo gave me a bad experience. I liked trying it out, but it wasn't surely something that was going to stay.
Good luck.

j.

Enjoy ;)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
josephdrivein wrote:
Well then. Source distros aren't for you.
++
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

Quote:

You did not understand the concept of Gentoo, and you are definitely not of source-based distro user type. Gentoo isn't for you.

Quote:

Not every program is a batch program :roll: i.e you don't gain or lose msecs, but FPS or responsivity for example.
And I want binaries with microinstructions beyond the i386 instruction set. Why should I use the binaries that are targeted for(I don't mean 'optimized for') a twenty year old CPU?

Quote:

Emerge -C <package name>, or if it was a meta package, follow it with emerge --depclean and then revdep-rebuild.

Quote:

This is completely wrong. The documentation of Gentoo is one of the best you can find. I don't know where you draw this conclusion from.

Quote:

It is called control. You know what is happening/will happen to your system and have the opportunity to make it happen in a way you like.
emerge --help config tells you that you have several ways of automating the task of updating config files, which I am almost sure you didn't give a damn.
Yesterday, after my update (emerge -DuN world) of my whole system, portage 'bugged' me that 26 files needed updating, which I completed in two minutes. I protected 3 files to be sure, and then let it update the rest automatically.

Quote:

Again,
It is called control.
And
You did not understand the concept of Gentoo, and you are definitely not of source-based distro user type. Gentoo isn't for you.

I am happy you are back to your 'home'.

Last edited by bLUEbYTE84 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

Five years ago I had a small home network with 2 to 3 computers all running windows. Wanting to share a single IP address I purchased a linksys router/hub. I always seemed to have problems with it or the connections. A friend of mine told me I should convert one of my old computers into a linux gateway/firewall to service my network. After a bit of time digging and searching I decided to try Mandrake. So I purchased a boxed 8.1 version and installed it. After 3 failed installs I had it up and running. I was always asking my friend for help because I new nothing about linux or how it worked. I kept this box running for 3 years 24/7.

My 1st point. After all this time I still new nothing about linux. Another friend of mine told me about Gentoo. I gritted my teeth and attempted a dual-boot on my workstation, still running windows. I bet I installed Gentoo 15 times before I could acctually boot a kernel. The install that I finally seceeded in getting to boot was from a stage1 hand configured kernel. While I am still a linux newbe and have a lot to learn the fact is Gentoo has taught me how to use and work with linux. If not for Gentoo I would still be using that old Mandrake box and my head still buried in the sand. I have olny one stand alone WinXP box left. Even my childern ( ages 5 - 18 ) use linux daily.

My 2nd point. Gentoo has taught and is still teaching me Linux. Thank you Gentoo.

josephdrivein wrote:
If I truly belived this I would still be installing and runnung Windows.

Quote:

I agree to a small extent. I have never used -P, but --deepclean gives me a lot of choices I believe are incorrect, so I don't trust it. Cleaning a single package is simple with -C. However identifying and removing many, unnecessary packages is almost impossible to do safely. I have resorted to making list of packages pulled in when I want to try out new packages just in case I want to remove that package at some later date and all of its dependicies.

I would like to see improvements in this area for sure.

Quote:
I have also ran into this myself in the past and it did cause me to have to spend more time sorting out the problems.

Quote:
Use flaags are very prowerful if used wisely. Mine have evolved many times in the last 2 years.

Quote:
When Gentoo introduced the new net configs severl months ago it broke my intire network. To say the least I was pissed. My network was down an entire day till I managed to hack it back up more or less. It took me a month of reading, posting and tring different things to get it all working properly again. It forced me to gain a better understanding of networking, for this I am thankful.
dansehl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: emerge'n Reply with quote

I get turned on by emerging.

- D
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:

you choosed a source based distro. Nobody forced you. Using sources means you have to compile it. tough luck. But you don't have to wait most of the time. And even if you have to wait. It was your choice. You are blaming gentoo for something, that a) can not be changed and b) is not a problem at all.

josephdrivein wrote:

you have never worked with a slow machine, where self compiling made the difference between 'choppy video' and 'smooth video' or 'startup of X in y seconds' and 'startup of X in 10*y seconds'

josephdrivein wrote:

3. Portage is horribly broken and terribly slow. It has options (-P) that are known not to work properly and it's marked stable... Being slow it's probably Python's fault. Updating my packages list (the portage tree) alone takes almost 5min on my amd64 X2 with broadband connection.

mostly because the rsync mirrors are slow. Oh, and if you use latest portage, it is much faster. The first can only be solved by more mirrors. The second, well, there are lots of tips to speed up portage.

josephdrivein wrote:

Doh. Aptitude takes real 0m5.774s (from time, sadly I can't post anymore the emerge time...) Download links are down sometimes, some ebuilds are broken, but you can fix them. Not that nice, btw.

so you are comparing a c app with an interpreted scripting language. Nice try...

josephdrivein wrote:

maybe you should start helping. There is always a need for man power. But whining is easier than helping, right?

josephdrivein wrote:

the correct word for debian's stable is 'stale', no wait, it is 'obsolete'. If you want up to date software, you have to deal with problems. And lots of the problems are upstream. Debian has a lot more devs AND they have a well defined plattform. Nobody is able to test all combinations of useflags, cflags and app versions. That is inherent with the freedom of choice.
If you don't need that freedom, why are you using gentoo in the first place?

josephdrivein wrote:

I always found the documentation extremly good and up to date. The wiki was a nice plus - even if it was full of errors and sometimes plain stupid things. If you think that the documentation is outdated, send in an update.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you only want to whine around, not help.

josephdrivein wrote:

well a) you can ignore the updates, but you have to deal with the breakage. I bet, you would whine about that too. b) there are tools to deal with that. etc-update, dispatch-conf. You get the tools, if you can't use them.. well, maybe you should read the documentation?

josephdrivein wrote:

useflags are not about performance, they are about 'I don't want that crap installed. I only want this, not that'. And if app X only uses gtk, instead of all the gnome libs, it is indeed faster (faster at starting up). You don't see that, because you have a fast machine. If you have a slow one, you will feel the difference.

josephdrivein wrote:

network configuration is easy and straightforward. If you can't follow documentation and well commented examples, I am really sorry. You might be better served using something like ubuntu, where you don't have to read or think.

josephdrivein wrote:

What I liked about it:
1. Software is very up to date.

as I said above, you can't have up to date and stable at the same time. So if you like up tp date software.. good luck.

josephdrivein wrote:

2. My printer worked out the box. Debian/Ubuntu etc needed some hand configuration, nothing really difficult you need to get udev to flash the printer's firmware every time it's connected. Seeing it working without my assistance surprised me a lot. Good work.
3. Hey, it's linux!

Good luck.

j.

so go back to debian.

And maybe you want to remember the f*ing java support of debian. Or the 20+ loops you had to jump through to get a working euro sign. Or the outdated software. Or maybe how you have to install a lot of crap you never need...

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
This is not meant to be a rant or how "gentoo sucks" post

It does a very good impression of both. Nonetheless:

Goodbye.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
josephdrivein wrote:
This is not meant to be a rant or how "gentoo sucks" post

It does a very good impression of both. Nonetheless:

Goodbye.
Thanks, I was in need of a good chuckel today............................... :lol:
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I hate posts that say they want to improve Gentoo and yet decide to leave Gentoo. People in the community should work towards addressing the problems, even if it is only submit an occasional bug report. Giving up on a project doesn't fix it but when it does work the way you want it to you will never see the results. Goodbye my friend and good luck on future endeavors.
stmiller
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand these goodbye rants all over this forum. I've only seen this on Gentoo forums, and not with other distros. I guess if you are leaving Fedora, Mandriva, etc. you just leave because you don't really care about it as much. So perhaps Gentoo is like the ex-girlfriend you don't really want to leave? Still love it, and will perhaps come back? :)

Quote:
Post subject: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving

And for 'how to improve' you complain about Gentoo being a source distro? I think we would all like some good feedback to improve Gentoo. There are enough apt-get and yum distros out there. Gentoo by design cannot become a package based distro.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmiller wrote:
I really don't understand these goodbye rants all over this forum. I've only seen this on Gentoo forums, and not with other distros. I guess if you are leaving Fedora, Mandriva, etc. you just leave because you don't really care about it as much. So perhaps Gentoo is like the ex-girlfriend you don't really want to leave? Still love it, and will perhaps come back? :)

I think it's that everyone that's leaving knows that they're giving up something. Whereas swapping from Mandriva to Fedora, well, it's just a few different packages really.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:

depends... if you havn't installed OpenOffice (and want it from src and not bin) then sure waiting 3h just to look at a would-be-funny powerpoint pres would seem like a waste of time. The fact is once yr system is up and running with 90% of what you want (for me with a 2.4GHz Core2 <24Hours) IF an update comes along (after a sync) it doesn't stop the old one from working...

it is only the likes of dbus big version bump (which needs a re-compile of say... gnome) which can cause some breakages 1/2 way through but that is what over-night is. Just be cause update are avail doesn't mean you have to pull them in straight away.

after a emerge --sync I will issue a emerge world -uvDp and have a look, if the list looks non-breaking I just merge and do my thing (be it internet,wife,cinema,pub...), however quite alot of the time I will just emerge some of the packages and then just emerge world over-night just because it is more convinient

josephdrivein wrote:

There are alot better things that can be done to speed programs up (faster HD,more RAM,...) compiling from src isn't some magic wand that makes things faster, if you had the code for Windows95 do you think compiling it from source would make it any better then what was released on CD?
other factors (like what is running at the same time) will effect any speed-changes

josephdrivein wrote:

maybe it is maybe it isn't... for me it works, do you have proof that portage and ebuilds are broken (since these are what gentoo is responsible for) and if you do why havn't you submitted bugs?. As to download links why is it upto Gentoo to ensure sourceforge is alway up? also your mirror-select prob needs some work - I had very bad d/l links a couple of years ago until I found my ISP actually mirrors gentoo's packages

josephdrivein wrote:

ok fair enough yes the reverse-dep is a problem

josephdrivein wrote:

Correction: Ebuilds are marked as stable, packages that then result in death of puppies (or security concerns) might be hard-masked for other reasons but if the ebuilds work then a package "should" be masked stable (if its deps are stable as well)
since you like Debian use debian, but does debian use say... dbus-1?

josephdrivein wrote:

Gentoo has the best docu's!! and I point ppl who have linux issue's to Gentoo doc's purely for that reason
again you don't like something submit a bugreport - Gentoo is only as good as you make it

josephdrivein wrote:

it doesn't!! ever done a windows update? every 5min a popup appears to say "reboot needed)
what Gentoo will do is tell you replacement configs exist BASELAYOUT is the only one that needs to be watched carefully
Because every Gentoo users build is unique (unlike Debian) then such "bugging" is needed due to change in layout of config, don't like then goto a binary distro that works on 6month release cycles where such changes are transparrent to you

josephdrivein wrote:

How so? I don't want QT and guess what I don't have a single thing to do with QT.

josephdrivein wrote:

I actually really like the network method (using a RaLink wifi card) and the whole Baselayout workings - one of hte things that keeps me with Gentoo (that and USE and true package-dependacy)

on the whole just goto Debian-Etch, oh wait you can't the Debian-devs have stalled it...
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess folks try to plug one of these in per week, eh? :lol:

Compiling the gentoo-way optimizes your code for your hardware - how is that a waste of time?

I personally have NEVER (repeat, NEVER) had an issue with Portage...apt-get, aptitude on the other hand, have broken both times I've used them

Gentoo's STABLE != Debian's STABLE - hence, the difference in projects, name and goals

Documentation - sorry dude, you're WAY off kilter here. Gentoo's docs are AMAZING. Have you ever tried to install *BSD before?

Your concept of USE flags is wrong, and therefore your argument is debased.

Atheros Chipset - works and has always worked like a charm on my laptop - I'm thinking it's a Layer 8 issue for your case.

Bye, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, Arrivederci, Adiós, and Buh Bye!

W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have there ever been any benchmarks for comparing i386 to cflags with -march=athlon-xp ect?

just wondering

the w3b
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmiller wrote:
;) thats it..

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to improve gentoo and why I'm leaving Reply with quote

josephdrivein wrote:
Solution: Plan ahead. It's that simple.
Quote:
2. I have often read about improvements given by compiling software directly on the target machine. I don't belive there is any noticeable speed-up.
Except for the ricers, never saw many people claiming there was an incredible speedup from that. With recent improvements to gcc, though, that could change. Also, things like prelinking are useful.
Quote:
Even if you got 1msec time save every time you run a program, since you probably wasted at least a couple of minutes compiling it
You only wasted it if you didn't plan ahead.
Quote:
It's only wasted if you didn't plan ahead.
Quote:
7. Gentoo continuously bugs you until you update the config files of the programs you update.
Which is because you're supposed to update them. Leaving them sit is bad for you.
Quote:
I love the command line, but continuosly editing configs has never been my greatest dream.
Whereas other distros automatically update all your configuration data for you, even between incompatible versions, with the services of magical elves.
Quote:
That's not what use flags are for. use flags are for configuring what features you want. Have you even used gentoo?
Quote:
9. Network configuration is strange and never ended working correctly on my atheros card.
I'll give you that one. How network configuration works seems to change every time I sneeze.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: