View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfc_forever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help. I compiled the kernel again and now I can successfully boot. I still don't know what the exact problem is. But I still feel very happy after stuggling for it for this long. :D

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Did you copy the kernel to /boot? If you prefer, did you run make install?
Either way, you'll probably need to update your boot loader. You'll need to update grub.conf or lilo.conf. If you use LILO, don't forget to run lilo.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can boot an older kernel and not a newer, that probably means that newer kernels have break the support for your hardware. In this case, it seems that post gentoo-2.6.15 kernels have broken support for ICH7.
You should sync your tree and emerge the latest kernels. You should also try a vanilla kernel. If the newest kernel still has the same problem, you should report it to bugzilla. If you want, you can also try to get some help on #gentoo-kernel.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
dhave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
If you can boot an older kernel and not a newer, that probably means that newer kernels have break the support for your hardware. In this case, it seems that post gentoo-2.6.15 kernels have broken support for ICH7.

I've been having similar suspicions as I've tried to set up Gentoo on a new Thinkpad T43. I had already tried 2.6.17 and 2.6.16 kernels (gentoo-sources), but now I've compiled and installed a 2.6.15 kernel. I'll post later after I've been able to test.
dhave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhave wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:

I've been having similar suspicions as I've tried to set up Gentoo on a new Thinkpad T43. I had already tried 2.6.17 and 2.6.16 kernels (gentoo-sources), but now I've compiled and installed a 2.6.15 kernel. I'll post later after I've been able to test.

I haven't eliminated all other variables yet, but I can say that, when I was using kernels 2.6.16 and 2.6.17, I very, very frequently had failed boots with my T43.

Since I reverted to kernel 2.6.15, I haven't had a single failed boot.

There were perhaps some minor differences in kernel configuration options due to differences in the kernels themselves. I don't believe any of those differences directly affect hard drives. When I get time, I'll try to control for as many of those differences as possible, then run some retests. (One batch of differences are from my having used Con Kolivas's patches with at least two of the various 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 kernels. I'll need to test with vanilla kernels to come up with anything more conclusive.)

Still, my tentative hypothesis at this point is that kernel versions after 2.6.15 may cause boot problems on some models of T43s with some hard drives.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: