Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Argh! baselayout problems and more!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirakawasuna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Argh! baselayout problems and more! Reply with quote

I've been having some....annoyances with my system lately. I'll start with the minor ones:

I have had this annoying little message ever since I first installed gentoo on this laptop:

Code:
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
 * PCMCIA support detected
 * Starting pcmcia ...
cardmgr[8094]: no sockets found!
 * cardmgr failed to start.  Make sure that you have PCMCIA
 * modules built or support compiled into the kernel                                                                                                   [ !! ]

It's not major but it happens whenever I stop/start/restart networking init scripts. I've tried disabling/enabling CONFIG_YENTA and turning off pccard support completely to no avail. I'm using a dell inspiron 1300 that has primarily intel 82801 revision hardware.

Annoyance #2: All of a sudden (I think associated with my baselayout update) i'm getting messages at boot about the last write time of my hard disks being in the future, something like this: hda5: last write time is in the future: FIXED. I tried editing /etc/conf.d/clock and having it write to the hardware clock before it shuts down but the message remains. I don't like e2fsck finding anything during boot so it's a bit annoying.

And now for the real problem:

I emerged baselayout-1.12.4-r2 on Saturday/Sunday and noticed that if I try to run/restart networking init scripts, it looks like this:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
 * PCMCIA support detected
 * Starting pcmcia ...
cardmgr[8094]: no sockets found!
 * cardmgr failed to start.  Make sure that you have PCMCIA
 * modules built or support compiled into the kernel                                                                                                   [ !! ]

Notice that it's just that message that I always get when starting a networking interface - if my pcmcia message problem was solved, it would have absolutely no output.

I've tried r4 and r6 but all >=sys-apps/baselayout-1.12 have had this problem for me. It makes it impossible to restart my wireless card, which I have to do occasionally. No one in the chatroom can figure out what I should do and I've been told I'm the only one with this issue - is this true? baselayout-1.12 has gotten an awful lot of revisions released lately so it seems like it's just buggy to me.

Thanks!

Nick

***edit***
This issue has been solved - it turns out that the pcmcia issue was the cause of my baselayout woes and removing /etc/init.d/pcmcia fixed the issue!

Last edited by Shirakawasuna on Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help with the others but
Quote:
Annoyance #2: All of a sudden (I think associated with my baselayout update) i'm getting messages at boot about the last write time of my hard disks being in the future, something like this: hda5: last write time is in the future: FIXED. I tried editing /etc/conf.d/clock and having it write to the hardware clock before it shuts down but the message remains. I don't like e2fsck finding anything during boot so it's a bit annoying.
First possibility: do you have the hardware clock set to local time and have ext2/3 partitions? If so, this is a bug in e2fsprogs
http://www.linuxpackages.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14974&sid=2f61342792a2d15953ed392fa9280886
Quote:
Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:58 pm Post subject: slackware current problems
problem 2 e2fsprogs version 1.39 is messed up on boot as far as the time
goes.If you set your system time utc everything is ok,but if you set it
local time you get messages on boot superblock last mount time in future

If this doesn't match then your clock may be losing a lot of time when the machine is switched off, perhaps due to the battery being low.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Shirakawasuna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think you're right about the e2fsprogs bug, that package was recently upgraded to that version. I dualboot with this laptop so I'm not sure if i want to switch to UTC as I've heard it doesn't work as well.
Ivar_Y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible solution to the "last write time [and last mount time] in the future" problem is to run /etc/init.d/clock earlier in the boot process. See my comment #11 in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142850.

Ivar
Shirakawasuna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ivar_Y, it looks like I have exactly the issue described in that bug, and boy was that bug report ever informative :) . Consider that issue closed given that it's only a bug and doesn't affect anything besides my general 'look how cool my computer is' ego.

Does anyone have any ideas for my pcmcia issues or more importantly my baselayout troubles?
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ivar_Y wrote:
A possible solution to the "last write time [and last mount time] in the future" problem is to run /etc/init.d/clock earlier in the boot process. See my comment #11 in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=142850.

Ivar

Hate to re-open the thread, but this didn't do the trick for me at all. I've still got the problem even after modifying /sbin/rc. What gives and when will this be fixed in baselayout?

Best,

Alex
Ivar_Y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Alex's request in bug 142850.

My /etc/runlevels/boot/.critical file contains the following line and nothing more:

clock checkroot modules checkfs localmount bootmisc

My latest /var/log/boot.msg file contains the following (Note that lines beginning Ivar are generated by echo commands that I added to the /etc/init.d/clock file.):

* Skipping root filesystem check (fstab's passno == 0) ...
[ ok ]
* Remounting root filesystem read/write ...
[ ok ]
* Using /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 as config:
* Loading module i2c-isa ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module r8169 ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module cx8800 ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module cx88_dvb ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module ehci_hcd ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module agpgart ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module intel-agp ...
[ ok ]
* Loading module fglrx ...
* Failed to load fglrx
[ !! ]
* Loading module usbserial ...
[ ok ]
* Autoloaded 8 module(s)
Ivar in /etc/init.d/clock 1: Sun Nov 26 11:26:38 EST 2006 1164558398
* Setting system clock using the hardware clock [Local Time] ...
Ivar in /etc/init.d/clock 3: Sun Nov 26 11:26:38 EST 2006 1164558398
Ivar in /etc/init.d/clock 4: Sun Nov 26 16:26:40 EST 2006 1164576400
[ ok ]
Ivar in /etc/init.d/clock 2: Sun Nov 26 16:26:40 EST 2006 1164576400
* Checking all filesystems ...
/boot: clean, 56/24192 files, 30344/96390 blocks
/: clean, 75348/1151904 files, 690839/2303311 blocks
/dev/sda5: clean, 121/1281696 files, 916711/2558343 blocks
/dev/sdb2: clean, 25/2562240 files, 574989/5118710 blocks (check in 4 mounts)
/dev/sdb7: clean, 31/5636096 files, 2728384/11251516 blocks (check in 4 mounts)
[ ok ]
* Mounting local filesystems ...
[ ok ]
* Mounting USB device filesystem (usbfs) ...
[ ok ]
* Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
[ ok ]
* Activating (possible) swap ...
[ ok ]
* Configuring kernel parameters ...
[ ok ]
* Updating environment ...
[ ok ]
* Cleaning /var/lock, /var/run ...
[ ok ]
* Cleaning /tmp directory ...
[ ok ]
* Device initiated services: net.eth0

Ivar
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ivar,

Here's the output. I put in multiple echos in the /etc/init.d/clock file, but only one was shown. Hope this helps. Let me know if I should also post it to the bug tracker.

Best,

Alex

Code:

Testing at /etc/init.d/checkroot: Wed Nov 29 22:10:34 GMT 2006 1164838234
 * Checking root filesystem ...
/dev/hda3: Superblock last write time is in the future.  FIXED.
/dev/hda3: clean, 389031/4807488 files, 1793811/9612894 blocks
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
Testing at /etc/init.d/modules: Wed Nov 29 22:10:34 GMT 2006 1164838234
 * Using /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 as config:
 *   Loading module nvidia ...
  [ ok ]
 *   Loading module loop ...
  [ ok ]
 *   Loading module ide-cd ...
  [ ok ]
 *   Loading module sd_mod ...
  [ ok ]
 *   Loading module usb_storage ...
  [ ok ]
 * Autoloaded 5 module(s)
Testing at /etc/init.d/clock position 1: Wed Nov 29 22:10:34 GMT 2006 1164838234
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
  [ ok ]
Testing at /etc/init.d/checkfs: Wed Nov 29 22:10:36 GMT 2006 1164838236
 * Setting up dm-crypt mappings ...
  [ ok ]
/dev/hda1: clean, 40/26104 files, 12991/104391 blocks
/dev/hdb1: Superblock last write time is in the future.  FIXED.
/dev/hdb1: clean, 3795/10010624 files, 8804867/20008957 blocks
  [ ok ]
Testing at /etc/init.d/localmount: Wed Nov 29 22:10:36 GMT 2006 1164838236
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
 * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
 * Setting up dm-crypt mappings ...
  [ ok ]
Testing at /etc/init.d/bootmisc: Wed Nov 29 22:10:36 GMT 2006 1164838236
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
 * One of the files in /etc/{conf.d,init.d} or /etc/rc.conf
 * has a modification time in the future!
Ivar_Y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order in which /etc/init.d files were executed was:
checkroot
modules
clock
checkfs
localmount
bootmisc

I moved "clock" to the front of this list on my computer so that my system clock is set to my local time before checkroot is executed. However, you also have a problem on your /dev/hdb1 partition that occurs after clock executes.

It looks like you have your system clock set to "UTC" and not "local" in /etc/conf.c/clock. The times reported by the date command changed only by a few seconds after /etc/init.d/clock ran. That's OK unless you are also booting XP or another Microsoft OS on the same computer. It may also affect the output of your date command and the display of any clocks on your monitor. I don't remember if they can be set to display local time if the system clock is set to UTC.

Possibly, your hardware clock is set to the wrong time. Is CLOCK_SYSTOHC set to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/clock? If not, your hardware clock will not be updated when you shut down your computer. But, then, what is setting your system clock? an ntp program? You can probably see your hardware clock time by entering your BIOS program at the beginning of the boot process. Also, the command "/sbin/hwclock --show" should show this.

Is /etc/localtime set to your local timezone? See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-517554-highlight-localtime.html

If none of the above solves the problem, what are the echo commands that did not execute in your /etc/init.d/clock? What was the value of ${errstr} and $ret at the end of the start() function in /etc/init.d/clock? You can add these to an echo command.

Ivar
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I can't get to everything just yet, but will answer what I can.

Ivar_Y wrote:

I moved "clock" to the front of this list on my computer so that my system clock is set to my local time before checkroot is executed. However, you also have a problem on your /dev/hdb1 partition that occurs after clock executes.

How did you manage to do that? Shouldn't that have been accomplished with the /etc/runlevels/boot/.critical file?

Quote:
It looks like you have your system clock set to "UTC" and not "local" in /etc/conf.c/clock. The times reported by the date command changed only by a few seconds after /etc/init.d/clock ran. That's OK unless you are also booting XP or another Microsoft OS on the same computer. It may also affect the output of your date command and the display of any clocks on your monitor. I don't remember if they can be set to display local time if the system clock is set to UTC.

I am not booting XP or any other OS on this machine, just gentoo, thanks :-).

Quote:
Possibly, your hardware clock is set to the wrong time. Is CLOCK_SYSTOHC set to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/clock? If not, your hardware clock will not be updated when you shut down your computer.

Ah, interesting, it was set to "no." I imagine that I should change this, right?

Quote:
But, then, what is setting your system clock? an ntp program? You can probably see your hardware clock time by entering your BIOS program at the beginning of the boot process. Also, the command "/sbin/hwclock --show" should show this.

I can't manage to get into bios just yet (transferring a very large file to somebody), but the /sbin/hwclock --show command gave me the correct time.

Quote:

Is /etc/localtime set to your local timezone? See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-517554-highlight-localtime.html

Yep. Anyway, as soon as this other stuff is done, I'll see what a reboot with the new clock does. If you can come up with any idea between now and then, let me know.

Thanks,

Alex
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again all,

I was pretty consumed with work over the past few days, so I never had a chance to try out one thing, i.e., setting CLOCK_SYSTOHC to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/clock. Well, amazingly, that did the trick!

Thanks for your patience and help, Ivar.

Best,

Alex
jerann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Still not working Reply with quote

Er, I hate to re-open this thread again, but I'm still having this problem. I've done a fair amount of research (another relevant thread is here), but I'm still stumped. It looks like my clock script in init.d is always waiting to be executed until after the root filesystem is checked. Here's my most recent boot log:

Code:

* One of the files in /etc/{conf.d,init.d} or /etc/rc.conf
 * has a modification time in the future!
 * Checking root filesystem ...
/dev/hda4: Superblock last write time is in the future.  FIXED.
/dev/hda4: clean, 245653/1068672 files, 557014/2133180 blocks
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [Local Time] ...
  [ ok ]
/dev/hda1: clean, 45/7936 files, 18550/31720 blocks
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]
  [ ok ]

I don't understand why it's waiting so long to change back to local time. I changed /sbin/rc; the relevant section reads:

Code:

get_critical_services() {
   local x=
   CRITICAL_SERVICES=

if [ -f "/etc/runlevels/${BOOTLEVEL}/.critical" ]
   then
      for x in $(< /etc/runlevels/${BOOTLEVEL}/.critical)
      do
         CRITICAL_SERVICES="${CRITICAL_SERVICES} ${x##*/}"
      done
   else
      # changed by admin 12-07-2006
      # originally:
                # CRITICAL_SERVICES="checkroot modules checkfs localmount clock bootmisc"
      CRITICAL_SERVICES="clock checkroot modules checkfs localmount bootmisc"
   fi

export CRITICAL_SERVICES

return 0
}

I also checked, and there is no .critical file in /etc/runlevels/boot, so CRITICAL_SERVICES should be set properly. Also, I changed the clock script in the init.d folder (I commented out the entire depend funciton) and added "need clock" to the depend functions in the checkfs, checkroot, and localmount scripts in init.d, but as you can see from the log, it still appears to be setting the clock to localtime after the checking is performed. I'm dual-booting, so I have to be in local time (because Windows is too much of a piece of **** to use UTC). Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Ivar_Y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /sbin/rc script has been modified to force the execution of the checkroot and modules scripts before the execution of any other CRITICAL_SERVICES scripts including, in particular, the clock script. See lines 440 through 457 in the /sbin/rc script.

I don't understand why this was done. I live in the US Eastern time zone but parts of my computer use Hawaii-Aleutian time.

Ivar
jerann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

Woot! :D That's what I needed to know - thanks Ivar_V! I went ahead and modified /sbin/rc again; here's the section he was referring to:

Code:

# Start checkroot and modules before we load volumes
   export START_CRITICAL="yes"

# Changed by admin 12-07-2006
   # Originally:
   # for x in checkroot modules ; do
   # Now:
   for x in clock checkroot modules ; do
      [[ " ${CRITICAL_SERVICES} " != *" ${x} "* ]] && continue
      start_critical_service "${x}"
   done

# Start RAID/LVM/EVMS/DM volumes for /usr, /var, etc.
   for x in ${RC_VOLUME_ORDER} ; do
      start_addon "${x}"
   done

# We do not want to break compatibility, so we do not fully integrate
   # these into /sbin/rc, but rather start them by hand ...
   for x in ${CRITICAL_SERVICES} ; do
      # Changed by admin 12-07-2006
      # Originally:
      # [[ ${x} == "checkroot" || ${x} == "modules" ]] && continue
      # Now:
      [[ ${x} == "clock" || ${x} == "checkroot" || ${x} == "modules" ]] && continue
      start_critical_service "${x}"
   done

unset START_CRITICAL

I'm not sure if hacking rc like that is the best way to do this, but it doesn't look like I have a choice. Anyway, it works great now. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: