Problem upgrading to gcc-4.1.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Problem upgrading to gcc-4.1.1 Reply with quote

Code:
!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_test
  ebuild.sh, line 987:   Called src_test
  glibc-2.3.6-r4.ebuild, line 1148:   Called toolchain-glibc_src_test
  glibc-2.3.6-r4.ebuild, line 266:   Called die

!!! nptl glibc did not pass make check
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

That is the error (i think). My emerge --info:

[code]Portage 2.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.3.6-r4, 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.4
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python: 2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache: 2.3
dev-util/confcache: [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils: 2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r3
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /usr/X11r6/bin/startx"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks metadata-transfer parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict test"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 aim alsa audiofile avi bash-completion berkdb bindist bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdparanoia cdr cli crypt cscope ctype dbus directfb doc dri dvd dvdread encode fbcon flac gif gpm gtk2 hardened hardenedphp imagemagick imlib ipv6 isdnlog java javascript jikes jpeg jpeg2k libcaca libedit libg++ libwww mad maildir mp3 mpeg msn ncurses nls nptl offensive ogg opengl pcre pdf php png portaudio posix pppd prelude python qt4 quicktime reflection ruby sdl session shorten speex spell spl ssl svga symlink tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb v4l videos vorbis win32codecs xcomposite xine xml xmms xorg xpm xv xvid yahoo zlib elibc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux userland_GNU video_cards_i810 video_cards_vesa video_cards_fbdev"
Unset: CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY[/quote]

Help, lol.

I'm updating to 4.1.1 from 3.4.6, and have been following the guide. This has occured when running

[code]emerge -ea system[/code]

so I dunno what else to say. Right now i'm hung up here, and would rather not continue on since glibc is such a core dep, and would prefer not have to worry about it :)

Last edited by Dralnu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dralnu,
IMO, if you're going to try and run gcc-4.1.1, you might as well go pure ~x86 "testing" in /etc/make.conf ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= and emerge --sync , then emerge -uD your system and world, which will update a lot of other critical system packages, like binutils, virtual/os-headers, and many more. In the long run, it will likely mean less trouble than trying to mix x86 and ~x86 packages.

I've always run pure ~x86 systems since I switched to Gentoo 4 years ago, so have no experience with so-called "stable" x86, but I suspect gcc-4.1.1 might require some updated system package(s) not yet in x86 stable, and also prefer glibc.-2.4.x

On the other hand, maybe I'm incorrect, and gcc-4.1.1 is now in x86 stable.

In any case, you should probably also add the nptl AND the nptlonly flags to your USE flags.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
dralnu,
IMO, if you're going to try and run gcc-4.1.1, you might as well go pure ~x86 "testing" in /etc/make.conf ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= and emerge --sync , then emerge -uD your system and world, which will update a lot of other critical system packages, like binutils, virtual/os-headers, and many more. In the long run, it will likely mean less trouble than trying to mix x86 and ~x86 packages.

I've always run pure ~x86 systems since I switched to Gentoo 4 years ago, so have no experience with so-called "stable" x86, but I suspect gcc-4.1.1 might require some updated system package(s) not yet in x86 stable, and also prefer glibc.-2.4.x

On the other hand, maybe I'm incorrect, and gcc-4.1.1 is now in x86 stable.

In any case, you should probably also add the nptl AND the nptlonly flags to your USE flags.

I've got nptlonly in my file for glibc. Worked on that.

As for going totally ~x86, I don't know about THAT right now. I'll see if there are any versions of glibc that are marked ~x86, but I havn't gotten any errors with all this at the moment. Right now I'm in Windows due to the fact Opera cann't find libstdc++ (depclean got rid of libstdc++-v3, and revdep-rebuild didn't seem to miss it, although I may go back and fix that little problem, if thats the case).

As for 4.1.1 being stable, it isn't right now, unless it changed in the last day or so. I've got some work to do. Hrm...

Keep the info coming, please :)
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to be careful using depclean- I would never trust it completely, and it's almost mandatory you go through everything it lists one by one before you run it for real. In the final analysis, you need to really know what packages are vital, and even if depclean says they are good to go in my experience it's not always the case. I'm sure a lot of other Gentoo users will agree that depclean is still far from being a good solution.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
You really have to be careful using depclean- I would never trust it completely, and it's almost mandatory you go through everything it lists one by one before you run it for real. In the final analysis, you need to really know what packages are vital, and even if depclean says they are good to go in my experience it's not always the case. I'm sure a lot of other Gentoo users will agree that depclean is still far from being a good solution.

Depclean is broke. I know this :) It killed Opera (I submitted a bug report for it, as well).

Whenever I run depclean, I make sure to follow it with revdep-rebuild. That usually fixes any problems, at least with the major system components. This was just a missing dep in the list I think, which is what I reported.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my -O3 to -Os, and removed test from FEATURES. It compiled, and I am currently working through rebuilding my system using gcc-4.1.1 (not using ~x86 arch, either. Prefer to stay stable, but with a newer gcc version. I'm not ready for ~x86, hah).
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Quote:
Whenever I run depclean, I make sure to follow it with revdep-rebuild. That usually fixes any problems, at least with the major system components. This was just a missing dep in the list I think, which is what I reported.

I would think when running x86 "stable" one would virtually never have any problems with system components. I've always run ~x86 systems, and can't remember the last time an emerge -e system or emerge -uD system gave me problems. Any other problems during an emerge -uD world (rare) have almost always been quickly resolved by the forum, bugzilla searches, or googling around. A lot of users think ~x86 is essentially as "stable" as x86, and actually some ~x86 package versions fix problems that come up in x86 systems.

IMO, the bottom line is that If one is willing to figure out an ocassional problem, running ~x86 is perfectly reasonable. None of my Gentoo ~x86 systems has ever become "unusable," or even "less stable" and/or prone to problems than any other so-called "stable" distro I have ever run, and that includes at least 15 of the other most popular distros. In my experience, Gentoo ~x86 has proven at least as "stable" and reliable as any other distro I've ever tried, source or rpm based.

Some users advise that more problems arise on specific packages with the -Os flag, but YMMV. Keep us informed on how your x86 system does with gcc-4.1.1. I would expect you'd run into a few problems, but I could be wrong, and hope I am, because I'm a big fan and advocate of gcc-4.1.1.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides a few problems here and there with emerge -e world, it hasn't given me a moments trouble. Only thing I had trouble with so far has been glibc, fluxbox (I don't use it, actually. Was sitting there testing it out some), and thats it.

I don't need alot of ~x86. What is in stable works for me just fine, and if it doesn't, I'll set the keyword, and keep going. I'll switch to ~x86 if I get a very, very long .keywords file, but until then, I don't see a point in going that way.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes good sense to me. :D
Guess I just like living on the edge a bit, probably left over from the days when I only had pretty low-end computers, and was forced to optimize and update everything possible in an attempt to get even halfway decent performance. These days, even low-end machines are relatively powerful compared to only 2 years ago, so I guess it's not as important anymore.

Please keep us informed if you run into any weirdness with gcc-4.1.1 on an x86 system.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monesterz died when recompiling. I'm removing it for the moment, then going back in and working with it. Fluxbox caused a problem, and I'm doing the same for it
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: