[ebuild U ] x11-misc/compiz-start-1.2 [1.1] USE="cgwd%*" 0 kB [3]

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage overlays:
[1] /usr/local/portage
[2] /usr/local/overlays/emission
[3] /usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-misc/compiz-start-1.2 to /
>>> Downloading 'http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2'
--20:19:33-- http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2
=> `/usr/portage/distfiles/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2'
Auflösen des Hostnamen »distfiles.gentoo.org«.... 216.165.129.135, 156.56.247.195, 64.50.238.52, ...
Verbindungsaufbau zu distfiles.gentoo.org|216.165.129.135|:80... verbunden.
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 404 Not Found
20:19:34 FEHLER 404: Not Found.

No digest file available and download failed.

>>> Downloading 'http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2'
--20:19:34-- http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2
Auflösen des Hostnamen »distro.ibiblio.org«.... 152.46.7.109
Verbindungsaufbau zu distro.ibiblio.org|152.46.7.109|:80... verbunden.
20:19:35 FEHLER 404: Not Found.

>>> Downloading 'http://distfiles.xgl-coffee.org/compiz-start/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2'
--20:19:35-- http://distfiles.xgl-coffee.org/compiz-start/compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2
Auflösen des Hostnamen »distfiles.xgl-coffee.org«.... 208.97.148.222
Verbindungsaufbau zu distfiles.xgl-coffee.org|208.97.148.222|:80... verbunden.
20:19:36 FEHLER 404: Not Found.

!!! Couldn't download 'compiz-start-1.2.tar.bz2'. Aborting.

CooSee ' Ya
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just removed compiz-start-1.2 as it was accidentally committed and wasn't ready.
disturbed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ,

I'm having troubles with compiz
disturbed@zoidberg /var/log $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz --replace dbus csm
compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'dbus'
compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'csm'

I can start a xterm in windowed mode , but there's no window around the app.

I'm using the following packages :

x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_pre20060823
x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.43
x11-misc/compiz-quinnstorm-plugins-0.12
x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
x11-drivers/nvidia-legacy-drivers-1.0.7184
x11-libs/cairo-1.2.4
x11-libs/pango-1.12.3
x11-libs/gtk+-2.8.19
media-libs/mesa-6.5.1_rc2-r20060831
x11-misc/csm-9999
Henning Rogge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does compiz-quinnstorm still depend on gnome-base/gconf ?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest shouldn't if you sync up.. I mean it does but only when you enable the gnome USE flag because that's what builds gnome-window-decorator and it checks if gconf is installed.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Mini Wiki current (layman rev 426) compiz-quinnstorm Reply with quote

I started the day with a perfectly good compiz-quinnstorm(layman rev 419) system that I set up following the official Wiki. Foolish me, I decided - again following the official wiki, to check for updates. Eventually, I ended up here at 426. To my HORROR, NOTHING was working right! (or so it seemed!) After much swearing and poring through both this and the official compiz forums I finally managed to make everything work so I thought I would share what I needed to do to MAKE it work. This isn't supposed to be a full install guide, this is just designed to help those who, like me, had a working system and haven't updated for a while, are planning on using all the current goodies (not counting plugins), are using KDE3.5.x and lastly don't want to spend hours looking for the answers a piece at a time in various forums!

First of all, the old /usr/local/bin/compiz-decorator isn't used anymore, it has been replaced by /usr/bin/compiz-start (linked to /usr/bin/compiz-start.py). /usr/bin/compiz-start.py needs to be modified to look like this:
Code:

def start_compiz():
   os.system("killall cgwd")
   gobject.spawn_async(['compiz', '--replace', 'dbus', 'csm'], \
              flags=gobject.SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH)
   gobject.spawn_async(['dbus-launch', 'cgwd'], \
           flags=gobject.SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH)

def cpm_menu_activate(widget):
   gobject.spawn_async(['csm'], flags=gobject.SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH)

item = gtk.ImageMenuItem ( "Edit with CSM" )
item.connect("activate", cpm_menu_activate)
_img = gtk.Image()
_img.set_from_stock("gtk-preferences", gtk.ICON_SIZE_BUTTON)
item.set_image(_img)
menu.append(item)

Only those sections listed above are changed - not that you remove everything else too!! :roll:

DON'T forget to re-link compiz-start to compiz-start.py

/etc/env.d/99kde-env needs to have KDEWM=compiz-start in it - in place of KDEWM=compiz-decorator.

~/.gconf/apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/%gconf.xml - contains the plugins in loading order. At minimum you will have to add 'csm' to that file after 'dbus'.

Now when you restart KDE (and Xgl too) you should have an icon in your system tray that will allow you to change themes (using cgwd-themes), CSM to change your plugin options, gconf is available from that menu but none of the changes in gconf stuck for me, change to the Metacity windows decorations and finally restart compiz.

Obviously, this doesn't seem like much, but it took me hours to find/read/experiment til it worked. Just as obviously, this isn't a full-blown guide. I hope it will help somebody else, or at least send them in the right direction and save them some time!!! :)
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpshak: compiz-start.py has not replaced compiz-decorator. There is a compiz-start in compiz-quinnstorm, but I also provide a seperate package which I will remove shortly probably because it conflicts with the inbuilt compiz-quinnstorm compiz-start script. Once I'm done working on compiz-start and hopefully convert it to C, quinn might include it instead of her script.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247: As I said, this wasn't meant to be a comprehensive guide - just what I had to do to make it work, and to save somebody else from having to search through pages and pages of forum posts! Having said that, if you can convert the script to C and get it included in the package to where it is actually implemented on compiz startup with no end-user interaction would be sweet!!! This is the third start-up set-up I've seen since I've been using compiz and Xgl. First was having the commands (from compiz-decorator) in the /usr/kde/3.5/config/share/kdm/Xstartup. Second was creating the compiz-decorator file and pointing to it with /etc/env.d/99kde-env. And, currently the compiz-start script.

Anything that makes the setup more transparent to the end user is good - at least at this stage where development is whistling right along! I've been waiting for the last month or so for Nvidia to release new drivers (compatible with Xorg7) and look what's happened in that time! Our Gentoo Wiki (for using Xgl) has changed, but it barely mentions cgwd - much less how to implement it and NOTHING about compiz-start! www.compiz.net didn't have the definitive answer either! At one point, I had this page open and 4 compiz.net pages open! There I discovered this compiz-start script which I downloaded and installed at ~/.kde/Autostart. THAT didn't work properly, so I looked at the script and realized it wasn't correct.(I know nothing about python, but I dabble in Visual Basic, so I can follow what's going on in the script). So I decided to try and fix it, THAT lead to the discovery of compiz-start in /usr/bin. Which also lead to the discovery that it wasn't quite right for the current release of compiz-quinnstorm (i.e. no Compiz Plugin Manager anywhere - on my box, or in portage) which in turn lead to the changes to compiz-start that I posted before. As I said, while development outpaces installation information, anything that makes this more seamless to the end user is a GOOD THING!

Good luck nesl247!
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I had said that is because of this statement "
First of all, the old /usr/local/bin/compiz-decorator isn't used anymore, it has been replaced by /usr/bin/compiz-start (linked to /usr/bin/compiz-start.py). /usr/bin/compiz-start.py needs to be modified to look like this:"

compiz-decorator can be used, you just need to change compiz --replace gconf to compiz --replace dbus csm. The compiz-start scripts are just there for more detailed options.
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguments here, nesl247! :D

It was 12:30am when I posted that and I was trying to be brief so I could get to bed! My reasoning in doing away with the compiz-decorator was those "more detailed options" that you mentioned. It seemed to me that with the compiz-start script now included, it would (the script - or your C equivalent) be updated/upgraded parallel to compiz development. Then everytime you update compiz the start script will automatically update - if necessary. In other words, everything needed to start compiz will be there, it will be up to date, and would be the logical starting point when compiz DOESN'T work properly after being upgraded. This, in my mind, would reduce the necessity of hunting through forums to figure out what needed to be changed in compiz-decorator.

Anyway, it wasn't my intent to say MY way was the ONLY way... After all, this is Gentoo Linux. I think most of us use this distro because we CAN have it OUR way - Most of the time anyway! :lol:
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerardo wrote:
Xake wrote:
gerardo wrote:
:arrow: my numlock led is no longer lit, it's in inverse modus (when I disable numlock it is lit)

Are you using evdev for your keyboard? I have the same problem. Currently I am not using XGL however since its xinerama-support does not work for me, and it's suport for things like evdev sucks big time.

no, it's an ps/2 keyboard.

PS2 got nothing to do with it. I had my PS/2-keyboard and mouse running over evdev before, nowmore I have them USB-plugged by some other reasons.

evdev is a driver intended to more or less work with everything (keyboard, mouse, touchpad, whatever) as long as it runs a kernel with support for the event interface (i.e. Linux as far as I know)....

....and currently it does not very well with XGL..
In fact: If I have both my mouse and keyboard configed for evdev Xgl does not start at all, not totally unlike your problems, peter.oettl

so peter.oettl: what keyboard and/or mousedriver do you got?
piwacet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the most recent update, I'm running csm and cgwd. What do I use to change settings, like the old gconf-editor used to do?

Thanks!
zhark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I changed was compiz-decorator
to: compiz --replace dbus csm

Now everything works, but settings is reset to default values.
How do we change settings now? gconf-editor doesn't seem to have any effect.
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just run "csm", but i don't know if the settings are applied dynamically or you have to restart compiz each time...
grimz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the latest CVS version of compiz-quinnstorm crapping out on anybody else?
Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: i386 architecture of input file `../mesa/lib/libGL.a(glapi.o)' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
../mesa/lib/libGL.a(glapi.o): In function `_glapi_add_dispatch':
glapi.c:(.text+0x10891): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail_local'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [compiz] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-9999/work/compiz/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-9999/work/compiz'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-9999 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 939:   Called src_compile
  compiz-quinnstorm-9999.ebuild, line 64:   Called die

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

Guess they'll fix it up in a day or two..
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know grmiz. I'm installing it right now.

I have a question for you guys. Say I want to run Cedega. How would I fire up XOrg in another display and then run Cedega in there?
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xake wrote:
gerardo wrote:
Xake wrote:
gerardo wrote:
:arrow: my numlock led is no longer lit, it's in inverse modus (when I disable numlock it is lit)

Are you using evdev for your keyboard? I have the same problem. Currently I am not using XGL however since its xinerama-support does not work for me, and it's suport for things like evdev sucks big time.

no, it's an ps/2 keyboard.

PS2 got nothing to do with it. I had my PS/2-keyboard and mouse running over evdev before, nowmore I have them USB-plugged by some other reasons.

evdev is a driver intended to more or less work with everything (keyboard, mouse, touchpad, whatever) as long as it runs a kernel with support for the event interface (i.e. Linux as far as I know)....

....and currently it does not very well with XGL..
In fact: If I have both my mouse and keyboard configed for evdev Xgl does not start at all, not totally unlike your problems, peter.oettl

so peter.oettl: what keyboard and/or mousedriver do you got?

i am running evdev driver with my MS wireless PS/2 mouse/keyboard and it all runs fine
with Linux/KDE/Gnome/XGL/Compiz

kmare wrote:
just run "csm", but i don't know if the settings are applied dynamically or you have to restart compiz each time...

from my experience so far, the changes are dynamically applied

baigsabeeh wrote:

I have a question for you guys. Say I want to run Cedega. How would I fire up XOrg in another display and then run Cedega in there?

in this article it talks about using xgame, but i would look at the xlaunch nesl247 has in the XGL
overlay, you can probably do a search on this thread/forum for more info on it
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL/Tips_and_Tricks#Running_apps_that_require_3D_rendering_acceleration_.28games.2C_etc..29
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter1TX wrote:

baigsabeeh wrote:

in this article it talks about using xgame, but i would look at the xlaunch nesl247 has in the XGL
overlay, you can probably do a search on this thread/forum for more info on it
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL/Tips_and_Tricks#Running_apps_that_require_3D_rendering_acceleration_.28games.2C_etc..29

Can I request a small poll to you xgl users? I used to be able to launch a second xserver but now it crashes. I'm trying to figure out if it is because of a recent update of if I am missing something in my "rebuilt" xorg.conf file.

So, who is able to launch a second server without the xgl one (or both) crashing? This is directed at nvidia users.
Thank you. :D
BlackBelt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys.. here some problem compiling cms

Code:
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
cd . && /bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/csm-0.4/work/csm/config/missing --run autoheader
rm -f stamp-h1
touch config.h.in
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status config.h
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/csm-0.4/work/csm'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/csm-0.4/work/csm/src'
if x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -I/usr/include/compiz -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include   -DDATADIR='"/usr/share"' -DLIBDIR='"/usr/lib64"'    -march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -MT csm-main.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/csm-main.Tpo" -c -o csm-main.o `test -f 'main.c' || echo './'`main.c; \
        then mv -f ".deps/csm-main.Tpo" ".deps/csm-main.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/csm-main.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
main.c:82: error: 'SCREEN_EDGE_NUM' undeclared here (not in a function)
make[2]: *** [csm-main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/csm-0.4/work/csm/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/csm-0.4/work/csm'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-misc/csm-0.4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1543:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 936:   Called src_compile
  csm-0.4.ebuild, line 32:   Called die

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee'
[1]   Exit 1                  Xgl :1 -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv -fp /usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/other_fonts  (wd: /home/emanuele)
(wd now: /usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee)
[2]-  Exit 1                  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ DISPLAY=:1 compiz dbus cms  (wd: /home/emanuele)
(wd now: /usr/local/overlays/xgl-coffee)

amd 64 + nvidia + gnome..

any idea?

thanks

Charles Bukowski
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did everything right i guess. compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.43, compiz-quinnstorm-plugins-0.12, cgwd-0.68 but no cube, no rotation.

please help !!!!!
dpshak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the other plugins work? Wobbly, or Zoom, do you have window decorations?
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the plugins are set with gset-compiz but non of them works. window decoration only when i swith to metacity

everything worked until cgwd-0.45 and compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.20.

Last edited by tranquilcool on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jupiter1TX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
did everything right i guess. compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.43, compiz-quinnstorm-plugins-0.12, cgwd-0.68 but no cube, no rotation.

please help !!!!!

you need to emerge csm
we don't use gconf-editor anymore and
in csm the settings will be back to default so you
will need to re-adjust them all
i don't believe gset compiz will work at all any
longer because it "worked" with gconf-editor

P.S. i haven't seen an icon for csm, so just start
it from a terminal
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 7 of 19

Jump to: