View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larcen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine kernel panics, and I have to manually hit the restart button, load the livecd and replace my custom initrd with the one genkernel created. :/
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody77 wrote:
No errors are reported in dmesg? I never saw that happening, I always had *something*.

Usually that there was no suitable image found.

Yikes! Looks like I just didn't know where to look.

Here's what I think are the relevant parts of dmesg -- any advice? (or would you like to see the whole thing??)
Code:

Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317 splash=verbose
bootsplash: verbose mode.

and
Code:

vesafb: framebuffer at 0xf0000000, mapped to 0xd0809000, size 16384k
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x16, linelength=2048, pages=1
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:f910
vesafb: pmi: set display start = c00cf955, set palette = c00cf9da
vesafb: pmi: ports = b4c3 b503 ba03 c003 c103 c403 c503 c603 c703 c803 c903 cc03 ce03 cf03 d003 d103 d203 d303 d403 d503 da03 b103
vesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=8192
vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
Simple Boot Flag at 0x3a set to 0x80
Machine check exception polling timer started.

and
Code:

bootsplash 3.1.4-2004/02/19: looking for picture....<6>bootsplash: error while decompressing picture: picture is not YCBCR 221111 (9)
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48

and
Code:

nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-5336  Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
bootsplash 3.1.4-2004/02/19: looking for picture....<6>bootsplash: error while decompressing picture: picture is not YCBCR 221111 (9)

Thanks!

Justin
woody77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infamousmrsatan wrote:
woody77 wrote:
No errors are reported in dmesg? I never saw that happening, I always had *something*.

Usually that there was no suitable image found.

Yikes! Looks like I just didn't know where to look.

Here's what I think are the relevant parts of dmesg -- any advice? (or would you like to see the whole thing??)

Code:

Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48

Looks like your problem is that your image in your initrd is of the wrong type. Try opening/saving the image in Gimp as a jpg, and then stuff it into the initrd again (using > instead of >>);
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Thanks for the advice, but here's the problem. I already saved it as jpg and used > to stuff the file!! (Of course I don't want the image concatenated onto the old one!!)

As far as the jpg goes -- I'm using GIMP 2.0. Are there any options for saving jpgs that I should be sure to use or not use? Thanks!

Also, I was looking at the default image for gentoo, and I noticed that its resolution is not 96x96, but rather 186x186 or something like that. Any thoughts?
woody77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, out of my depth at this point. Maybe try the mailing list for bootsplash?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infamousmrsatan wrote:

Also, I was looking at the default image for gentoo, and I noticed that its resolution is not 96x96, but rather 186x186 or something like that. Any thoughts?

Yes, I think if you look at the basic howto that starts this thread you will see that dpi must be 96x96.

HTH Gentree 8)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assgier wrote:
dalek wrote:
OK I screwed up something. The GUI, or X, works fine but when I switch to a console, ctrl alt F1, the screen is screwed up bad. It looks like it is torn.

Somebody tell me what I did wrong. I rechecked my steps but no luck yet.

Need info, let me know. I'm using a 2.6 kernel. It is the one that is stable for me at least.

Edit: Hold that thought. Now the kernel won't boot. Hangs up after replaying journal. Still scratching head on that one. It did work once though, except for the problem above.

:? :? :? :?

if i where you i'd compile a new one (same settings, assuming that you have a settings file saved somewhere) :)

i'm going to see if i can patch the recently (like yesterday or something) new stable kernel 2.6.6 with the 2.6.5 one :)

[edit]
Quote:

linux-2.6.6 # patch -p1 <bootsplash-3.1.3-2.6.5 --dry-run
patching file drivers/char/keyboard.c
patching file drivers/char/n_tty.c
patching file drivers/char/vt.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 3159 (offset 15 lines).

it's the only error i get when trying to patch 2.6.6, but it's enough to prevent bootsplash from working... maybe the topicstarter can do something with this information to make a patch for 2.6.6? :)

You seem to be doing some heavy patchwork to get this going. You may like to try lastest love sources. I can confirm these now work beautifully with bootsplash.

Code:
bash-2.05b# uname -a
Linux linbox 2.6.6-love4 #4 Wed May 19 21:42:37 CEST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
bash-2.05b#

HTH 8)

Now I'm off to see if I can make myself a class-act bootsplash like some of the screen shots I have seen here.
:twisted:
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be unreasonable to ask someone who has gotten a customized splash image working to detail their process, step by step, using GIMP? I also thought that the problem was the image being formatted incorrectly, but i can't figure out what to do in gimp (ie what jpg save options) will produce a working initrd image.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes up the call..

JS
woody77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened a file, resized it to 1400x1050, set the dpi to 96x96, and saved as a jpeg using highest quality, no interlacing, or progressive stuff, just default save options.
Assgier
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*CUT*

[edit]
omg how stupid can mistakes be lol... made the same mistake i made when i first installed bootsplash on my laptop (see my previous posts in this topic), forgot to add ramdisk support... now it works just fine and also the "oops" is gone ;)

Last edited by Assgier on Thu May 20, 2004 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody77 wrote:
I opened a file, resized it to 1400x1050, set the dpi to 96x96, and saved as a jpeg using highest quality, no interlacing, or progressive stuff, just default save options.

Now here's something weird! That's exactly what I'd BEEN doing. But after your post, I decided, on a lark, to try it on a different image (other than the one I'd been working with). Whoa!! It worked! Maybe my image was somehow corrupted?

Anyway, hopefully I can get the image I want working... I'll try a bit later.

JS
Assgier
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

HTH 8)

Now I'm off to see if I can make myself a class-act bootsplash like some of the screen shots I have seen here.
:twisted:

have you made something up yet? ;)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have cropped a nice macro photo I took to replace the std silent*.jpg. Works a treat.

I have created a couple of aliases to speed up the process:
Code:

alias edbootimg='nano /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg'
alias mkinitrd='/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg > /boot/initrd-1024x768'

Dont know how to screen grab on boot up so I cant post anything. Anyone know?

I also want to change the image behind the grub menu. I can affect it by changing the line in grub.conf

splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/images/powered-by.xpm.gz
#splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/images/bug.xpm.gz

but my home grown image comes up in an unrecognisable state. The "powered-by" one works fine. Gimp shows them both to be same size dpi colour depth etc. but two images I tried failed to show properly.

I think its probably a colour depth issue or colour count.

[edit]

Yes , as I suspected, I reduced the image to 16 colours and it works. It aint pretty , but it works.

Gimp: Filters - Web - webify , set to 16 colour not transparency.

Looks like I need to find a more suitable , simpler image for grub bootsplash.

But it all works.
:)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a couple of aliases I use for speeding up the typing when poking around with bootsplash. They're in ~/.bashrc

Code:

alias edbootimg='nano /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg'
alias mkinitrd='/sbin/splash -s -f /etc/bootsplash/default/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg > /boot/initrd-1024x768'

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have a beautiful grubsplash, I use the same image for both jpeg and silentjpeg which means it drops gently into a transparent mode with the boot text on top.

All this is perfect.

Two oddities remain.

Once the boot process gets to login prompt my nice image gets replaced by the std Gentoo Inc. cows head and the "gentoo" logo in the bottom r-h corner. This somewhat spoils the effect!

Similarly , when I go down for reboot I get silentjpeg from the gentoo directory:

Both these relics are being picked up from /etc/bootsplash/gentoo/images this is no longer the target for default:

Code:
bash-2.05b# ls -ail /etc/bootsplash/default
 524146 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 May 20 01:18 /etc/bootsplash/default -> livecd-2004.0
bash-2.05b#

Why are these relics still coming up?

I guess this is not part of initrd but where are they coming from and how can I change them match my bootsplash theme?

Thanks to the man who knows... 8)
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -- Confirmed.

My problem was that I wasn't setting quality to 100% on my jpg. Probably, that should be added to the howto for personalized images -- they wont work unless you set quality to 100%

Justin
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it got it to work , but you dont need zero compression to make it work (thankfully)

I do mine at 82-84% because this is about the best quality you'll get out of a jpeg. Beyond that it gets rapidly huge with no visible increase in quality.

I have used several different values and it had not caused pbs.

I'm just posting this correction so others don't think it is necessary. :wink:

[edit]

After a bit of further testing I can confirm that Floating Point compression is fine (this is better q than integer.) Compression ration is not a factor, tested at 75 82 and 84%.

The only thing that seems to stuff it is Progressive encoding which is pretty unecessary in this context. Apparently sbin/splash cant cope with this format and creates an invalid initrd since even if silentjpeg is OK the whole bootsplash will not work if "jpeg" is not suitable.

Even the dpi does not appear to be an issue, contrary to other posts I have seen. I just recreated my bootsplash with 72 dpi and it came up just the same.:D

Also note in passing that repeated jpeg saving of an image will quickly deteriorate the qu.

If you have a nice image save it in a non lossy format such as png and always work off that copy. Save to jpeg once only for final version.

Dont feel insulted if you knew that already. Many people dont realise and end up with horrible jpegs and wonder why.:wink:

OK, I'm off to splash my boots! Have fun.

8)
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gentree

Wow!!

I'm positive that I didn't use progressive, so I'm not sure what went wrong. I think I may have used as low as 50% quality, because I checked the preview window and it still looked pretty good without diminishing the quality. Then, of course, the bootsplash failed to work at all. Could you verify this for me (on whether lower quality settings like 50% or less cause your splashes to fail, or is it just me) Also, I might have tried fast integer, and that could have done it. You're right though, that floating point is much higher quality without much cost.

edit
Another thing I tried was 1x1x1x1 subsampling, instead of the default, since 1x1x1x1 doesn't make any changes to the image during the save (This is a non lossy way to save, btw) Do you think that could also be part of why it failed??
/edit

As far as the dpi, I agree, something is fishy. You say it works with 72x72? Well the default image I opened in gimp (the one that comes with bootplash on gentoo) was 186.66x186.66 !!!

Maybe it just works within a range -- because reports claim that 300x300 will NOT work (haven't tried it though). Perhaps 72, 96 & 186.66 are all within the specified legal range of resolutions.

Now that it finally works for me, I'm going to experiment with making more images. Keep you posted.

Justin :D :D :D :D
infamousmrsatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seperate issue:

It is possible to extend your bootsplash image to all virtual terminals, yes, but...

Is it possible to specify a different image for each terminal???

That would be truly awesome!

Justin
Nate_S
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this should answer about three of the questions posted on this page: Take a look through /etc/conf.d/boootsplash, it's heavily commented and can do lots of stuff. (seperate images per VT, different images on startup/shutdown, etc...)

Thanks, Assgier, for mentioning that, as I had the same problem.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another thing I tried was 1x1x1x1 subsampling, instead of the default, since 1x1x1x1 doesn't make any changes to the image during the save (This is a non lossy way to save, btw)

Sorry to correct you again but this is not accurate. Jpeg uses DCT (discrete cosine tranformation: a sort of Fourrier transform analysis) to analyse an image as an approximation of (co)sinusoildal waveforms. Its lossiness depends on how many frequencies you chose to use. If the highest frequency corresponds to the spacial frequency of your bitmap then it can be non-lossy, but it also ceases to do any compression: you may as well save the bitmap! This is the 100% setting in the save options.

A lot depends on the image content but 50% jpegs can look pretty aweful, although the compression ration is impressive.

There is no sense in using integer or fast-integer compression on modern CPUs. It is a relic from i386+387 days. It is annoying the Gimp defaults to integer and cannot remember the last used compression mode. I doubt anyone using Gentoo is on i386 hardware.

It is true that Gimp does give some fairly biszarre dpi values (I think it actually stores them as p/mm rather than per inch.) In any case I dont see the relavance of this to a screen image, it is the printer resolution. It does not appear to affect bootsplash.

Thanks to Nate_s for the config file , I was not aware of this . Should be a great help. 8)
Medrakil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.5-r1, and it has the menu entries for bootsplash - however, i enabled them and it didn't give me a bootsplash. Do i need to patch in bootsplash or is it patched in and i just have to do it the right way?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are bootsplash issues on 2.6.5.

I thoroughly recommend 2.6.6-love4 kernel.

This works beautifully with bootsplash and has working rieser4 and nivia Geforce working as well if you need it.

HTH 8)
LiTTlEaDY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get this working with the radeonfb?????

Adrian
Aggamemnon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using radeonfb instead of vesafb and no problems.

Kernel 2.6.5 for AMD64
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27

Jump to: