Putting both Qt 3 and 4 together Gentoo way
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabbrik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Putting both Qt 3 and 4 together Gentoo way Reply with quote

Well, I want to install jabbin application, but it requires Qt 3.1 or later. I have already updated machine with Qt (4.1.4)

Of course I could try manual install, but I'm afraid it may break system. Another option might be downgrading Qt, but since I use KDE 3.5.2, there also might be problems (not sure about it though).

So what would be the proper Gentoo way to solve this problem?
PsychoticRetina
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting both Qt 3 and 4 together Gentoo way Reply with quote

Chabbrik wrote:
Well, I want to install jabbin application, but it requires Qt 3.1 or later. I have already updated machine with Qt (4.1.4)

Of course I could try manual install, but I'm afraid it may break system. Another option might be downgrading Qt, but since I use KDE 3.5.2, there also might be problems (not sure about it though).

So what would be the proper Gentoo way to solve this problem?

whats the problem? youre trying to instlall an app that requires qt 3.1 or later, and you have qt 4.1.4. what error messages do you receice upon trying to install jabbin (whatever that is)?
po0f
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qt-3* and Qt-4* should be SLOTted installs, so you should still have the old Qt libraries installed. What's the output of `emerge =qt-3* -pv`?

EDIT, spelling.

Last edited by po0f on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Nick C
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qt4 isnt used by many applications yet as it is still in development, it wont be used much until KDE4 is released and so currently all the kde3.5.x ebuilds require kde3. Its not a problem to have both qt3 and qt4 installed and tbh unless you plan to use an app that *requires* qt4 you should be able to unmerge it and add -qt4 to your use flags to prevent it being pulled in again in future updates (there is a qt useflag used by most qt apps, but also a qt3 and qt4 useflag where an app can support either).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: