Never used linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Never used linux Reply with quote

Please help!!! I have never used linux before and was told to start with gentoo linux. I've downloaded the .iso installer and loaded it on my computer. I know how to switch between different terminals and get into links, but I can't figure out how to install the OS onto the hard drive. The handbook has a section on "Using the GTK+ based linux installer". I can't figure out how to load that. BTW I've got the minimal x86 installer. Any help/recomendations would be appreciated.
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my older kids learn Linux by having them install Gentoo. They did it buy following the handbook. They did not use the gui installer (they were not allowed to). Just read the handbook and follow the directions. Post questions to the list if you get stuck. Questions about specific problems will get better answers than what do I do next type questions.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2

I recommend you to download the livecd and use that instead, if you are new to linux. If you want to use the minimal cd that you already have, you will need to download a separate stage3 file for x86. Take that link to the handbook and start reading, the handbook will guide you across the install, does not matter if you choose one or another installation media.

If you have concrete problems then ask here.
markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Never used linux Reply with quote

dejavou42 wrote:
The handbook has a section on "Using the GTK+ based linux installer". I can't figure out how to load that. BTW I've got the minimal x86 installer.

You have either the wrong handbook or the wrong installation disk. To install from the minimal CD, use this handbook: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
To use the graphical installer, get the Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD ISO from the download page
dahranis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to use the gui live cd, it is reccomended that you do not use teh graphical installer.
Instead please follow http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml this guide
dmartinsca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add, it's not recommended to use the gtk installer because it doesn't work very well for a lot of people. It either seems to hang at some point and never move on or destroy all your harddrive partitions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: