plugins/effects directly on the audio device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saebla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: plugins/effects directly on the audio device Reply with quote

in mpg321 (and other programs) there is a audiodevice option. what i was thinking, is there a program that can be used
'mpg321 -audiodevice <program> somefile.mp3' that in turn redirects the output to /dev/dsp (for instance)?

this program would then be able to analyze the data and put up visualizations and effects in any program where a audiodevice can be specified. and not through plugins available for a certain program..

or is there simply a program that can read alsa/oss data from the device and do similar things?

anyhone heard of a program like this?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio device option is mean to tell the program, in your case mpg321, to use a sound device as output device. It is not mean to chain 2 programs. You have the "|" pipe command for that. But I am most a gui guy. I use the console for system management, so I can not tell you a lot about that.

| is used when you will send the output of a first program as input for a second program. As exemple
Quote:
lsmod | grep snd
will do the following: 1) call lsmod 2) | will do a pipe between the output of lsmod and grep, 3) grep will filter the output of lsmod and output only the loaded sound devices.

With sound, some programs will wok, but other (most?) will fail because they want a real device at the output, not a pipe.

A very good audio player with a lot of plugin and some very good visualisation plugins is xmms.
saebla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying but you're kinda missing my point. i'm aware of the differences, but imagine what "coolness" this program could be. you can choose to use xmms, amarok, mpg321 or any other of the million audioapps out there, and they will all be supported by this (idea)..

I'm just fishing if a program like this already exists.. if not maybe someon ought to write it.

I'm not out to chain 2 programs together, but to use this aparantly non-existant program as filter between the audioapp and the device.

now that i come to think of it, maybe a sound daemon is what i'm describing.. but with a plugin-framework attached to it.. it should operate more closely to the device though, så ordinary oss/alsa apps can use it.. (without helper programs).. that would really be something, a kernel-level visualisation-plugin ;)

anyway, i'm dropping this for now.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what you want to have is a program that attach directly to one or more sound output. Programs in jack can do that. It is already at least meterbridge (a jack vumeter), bitmeter (another vumeter), jaaa (jack/alsa audio analyser) and japa (jack/alsa perceptual analyser). But it is no vizualitation plugin as those in xmms.

Otherwise, as suggest your title, to add a filter directly in the sound card implies as you must be able to load dsp assembler code in the dsp of the sound card. It is sound card specific, and for what I know, only the emu10k1 sound cards (live and some audigy) have linux software that can do that, but it is much more easier and flexibel to use jack and a program as the ecamegapedal.

You can take a look at the pro audio production applications overlay. It is plenty of very good audio softwares here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: