Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Moveing to a 64bit system or stick with 32bit ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Moveing to a 64bit system or stick with 32bit ? Reply with quote

My motherboard did die on me. Becose of that I have deticated to upgrade to 64bit system (new motherboard and cpu). My current gentoo linux system is setup for amd atholon 2400+ xp, 32bit. I wonder if it is a lot of problem for me to upgrade that setup to a 64bit system or just stick with 32bit system. I main concern is with 32bit programs that aren't 64bit at this moment and compility issues becose of that.

This is a desktop computer and is setup according to that.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep your current installation, then you need to stick with 32 bits. It's pretty difficult to 'upgrade' to a 64 bit system. Basically, if you want to use a 64-bits system, you need to re-install.

Most things work on a 64-bit system, there are very few compatibility issues. You can even run 32-bit programs (Firefox, Mplayer) for such PITAs as flash and windows multimedia codecs.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to recompile the system becose I am changeing about cpu. The cpu I am getting is AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2,2GHz.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's
athlon 2400+ 32bit -> athlon64 3500+

if you want to stick with 32bit system - there is no need to rebuild. athlon64 is 100% backwards compatible with athlon xp.

you just need to add some extra options to C(XX)FLAGS to take advantage of new features of new cpu, since athlon64 has sse2 and sse3. this will take effect in new software you build. you might cosider doing an emerge -e system, though.

i use 32bit system on athlon64 3200+ with cflags : "-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -msse2 -msse3"

if you want to use a 64bit system - you have to reinstall from scratch.

there are less and less reasons not to do it, since there is flash9 player for linux underway ( http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/ ), as well as preliminary support for windows media video in ffmpeg ( http://www.hboeck.de/item/366 ).

(two most famous problems with amd64 so far are lack of flash support in web browsers and certain video codecs issues. there are workarounds, but i don't really like them)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
i use 32bit system on athlon64 3200+ with cflags : "-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -msse2 -msse3"

Don't use -mfpmath (with any option), it's not working as well as should be and can have a decidedly negative effect on optimization.

And not all Athlon64's have SSE3. Check if you have it with
Code:
grep pni /proc/cpuinfo

jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I run 32bit programs when the system it self is 64bit ? (Firefox-bin, quake 3 and so on..)
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfr wrote:
Can I run 32bit programs when the system it self is 64bit ? (Firefox-bin, quake 3 and so on..)

Indeed! I run firefox-bin as my default browser, and also use openoffice-bin to interface with those Windows-slobs at work. Gentoo makes it all seemless through emul-*-x86-libs packages.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved my system to a 64bit install. I am dealing with gensplash now, for some reason I can't get the resolution to 1024x768 as I need. It always goes to 1280x1024 for some reason, I have been using howto gensplash to guide me, but nothing has worked. I have used the normal configs there. I am looking for a bootup logo as is on the live cdrom. I use genkernel.
lunarg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 64bit Gentoo for a month or so on a Turion64 and all things seem to run pretty well.

The only downside I had was to install firefox-bin (in order to run sun-jre and flash7), and mplayer-bin (to play windows media files and real media files).

Kind regards
Registered linux user #341804
Visit Black Manticore: http://www.blackmanticore.com/
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunarg wrote:
I'm running 64bit Gentoo for a month or so on a Turion64 and all things seem to run pretty well.

The only downside I had was to install firefox-bin (in order to run sun-jre and flash7), and mplayer-bin (to play windows media files and real media files).

Kind regards

And the fact that Your system eats more memory while doing that as it needs to load both: 64 and 32 bit libs, and this is noticable for me becouse I got -only- 512MB. I'll maybe switch back to 64 bits when I'll buy more memory but not before that.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going back to 32bits, there are things that I want to use properly (gensplash, kmplayer, etc..). 64bits are working ok, but there are some backward combility issues that are bugging me.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonfr wrote:
I am going back to 32bits, there are things that I want to use properly (gensplash, kmplayer, etc..). 64bits are working ok, but there are some backward combility issues that are bugging me.

Are those the only things? What other problems are you having?

kmplayer works great under amd64, its my main video player.
(Just use mplayer-bin as the backend. Request in to the kmplayer dev to add option of selecting mplayer-bin app in firectly in kmplayer config)

You can still use the vesa driver instead of of vesa-tng. (Unless the refreshrate and fadein are can't live without options for you. :wink: )
trupoet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I run amd64 of Gentoo just fine.

Only catches as people have said are using 32bit version of Firefox with 32bit versions of Flash and Java.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when I can't figure out what I want. I have axed the gensplash idea, since it is not worth the trouble for me. I also hit some issue on my latest install, I can't log in for some reason. I enter the username then nothing happens.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did "flip a coin", so to speak. I did go for 64bit agen, after I did messup the 32bit install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: