configuring portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

I'm having a problem configuring the portage. I have tried to run the (emerge--sync) command a few times and each time I recieved an out of memory error message.
Afterwards I ran the
(emerge-webrsync)command and eventually got the same error message, it just took a REALLY long time to get there. Suggestions?
srkitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much space is on the drive for gentoo?
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

I set it up just the way that the guide recommends besides it's talking about virtual memory, not hard drive space....
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

I guess what I need to ask is if there is a way to refresh the memory without restarting the comp, and if not, I won't have to start over again will I? Right now I have completed everything up to the portage configuration.... So am I good if I restart?
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you plz post the exact error message or all we can do here is guess. Also post the output of ...
Code:
df -h

Quote:
I guess what I need to ask is if there is a way to refresh the memory without restarting the comp, and if not, I won't have to start over again will I? Right now I have completed everything up to the portage configuration.... So am I good if I restart?

At what chapter of the handbook are you at?
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

The exact error message is extremely long basically it's a bunch of lines about lowmem_reserve and the final line is "Out of Memory: Killed process 9982 (rsync). I am currently on chapter 6.b. and the output for df -h is: tmpfs = 16% used avail 20M; /dev/hdc 100% used 49 M avail.; /dev/loop/0 100% used 43M avail.; udev 1% used 24M avail.; cachedir 100% used 43M avail.; tmpfs 18% used 24M avail.; tmpfs 0% used 24M avail.; /dev/hda3 34% used 3.7G avail; /dev/hda1 1% used 36M avail.; /dev 1% used 24M avail.
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

Oh and B.T.W, I am using the x-86 handbook if that matters...
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Please post the output of free as well.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

output of free: Mem: total 47836 used 44256 free 3580 buffers 14776 cached 17252
buffers/cache: used 12228 free 35608
swap: total 0 used 0 free 0
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have 48MB of RAM, you might have a lot of problems to install.
What do you want to run on this system? Do you want to run X, any WM or DE? Or do you plan to use as a server?
The least you should do, is to create a SWAP partition. I would advice you to use at least a 256MB SWAP partiiton.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

I did create a swap partition. if I run fdisk -l i get an output /dev/hda2 is a swap partition that says "linux swap/solaris" I've never used linux before, so all I did was take an old windows 98 system and try to install gentoo on it. I just want to familiarize myself with the linux system first. I'm planning on updating after I get familiar with it.
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: configuring portage Reply with quote

So, what do I need to do to finish configuring the portage? And if I restart the computer now that I'm on this step, will everything thus far be saved?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did create a SWAP partition at /dev/hda2, to use it you need to do:
Code:
# mkswap /dev/hda2
# swapon /dev/hda2

Help answer || emwrap.sh
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Configuring Portage Reply with quote

Ok, the virtual memory wasn't really my problem after all. So, My main problem is that when I try to run "emerge --sync" I keep getting send/recieve timeouts. I have no firewall on this computer and no external firewall. All I have is a DSL modem and a router. I have had the router cause firewall type problems before... Any suggestions on what I need to do in this case?
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Configuring Portage Reply with quote

Ok, the virtual memory wasn't really my problem after all. So, My main problem is that when I try to run "emerge --sync" I keep getting send/recieve timeouts. I have no firewall on this computer and no external firewall. All I have is a DSL modem and a router. I have had the router cause firewall type problems before... Any suggestions on what I need to do in this case?
Mousee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Configuring Portage Reply with quote

dejavou42 wrote:

Your network card is probably not enabled or doesn't have drivers built into the kernel to support it.
First, try pinging google (ping www.google.com). Then, if that fails, check what type of network card you have and try enabling the module for it.
Such info is available in the installation guide I believe :)
dejavou42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: configuring Portage Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't think to mention it, but I'm actually using this forum via links....So that that rules out problems with the network card. Also, I have manually downloaded files from the mirrors via links... So I know that I can use them... Just for some reason, the emerge --sync command will not communicate with them.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an emerge --metadata before emerge --sync
if u get same error u can try extracting the portage...tar.bz2 once again.
usually it configures itself. and u need atleast >1.5 gb space in hdd.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: configuring portage Reply with quote

dejavou42 wrote:
I did create a swap partition. if I run fdisk -l i get an output /dev/hda2 is a swap partition that says "linux swap/solaris" I've never used linux before, so all I did was take an old windows 98 system and try to install gentoo on it. I just want to familiarize myself with the linux system first. I'm planning on updating after I get familiar with it.

A swap partition is essential. Especially with only 48mb ram. The output of "free" shows that your swap partition is not active. Are you sur that you didnt miss the command...
Code:
# swapon /dev/hda2

And as jmbsvicetto already has pointed out it will be difficult to get a GUI running with only 48mb ram.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: