Quake3 freezes system with sound looping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weird wonko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Quake3 freezes system with sound looping Reply with quote

Hi!

First, I was quite impressed that a simple emerge quake3 and copying the pak0.pak file to baseq3 was all I needed to play Quake3 under Linux. Well, apart from starting a 16 bit X-Server to get hardware OpenGL acceleration. Cool, I just was about to install Windows just for that.

But: After some minutes of play, the system freezes, with the last half second of the sound looping. Does anyone know about this error?
The machine is still running, I can log in from remote. The X-Server process still runs (but I think it once also crashed), but killing it does not help, the display is still freezed. The system does not react to keyboard input, except for Alt-SysRq stuff.

I already know this error from Windows98, it is a quite common error, I was able to fix it by installing new chipset (maybe also video) drivers. Now it happens again, this time with Linux, and makes Quake quite unplayable. And it's not only that Quake crashes, I need to reboot the whole system because I cannot access it any more. There is some information about the bug on the net (telling me to upate my drivers), but I did not find any Linux-specific information.

When I pipe the output of the quake3 command into a file, I see some (sometimes several) "Hit bound texture in upload" messages, but they are not always the last messages.
I read about setting com_hunkMegs to 128 or another large value, I tried with 128 and 256, to no avail.

My system is a AMD Athlon-XP 1700+, in an Abit KR7A (KT266A chipset) motherboard, 1G RAM, Matrox G400DH video card, Ensonic 1371 soundcard. I am runnig XFree 4.2.99.3-r2 and a 2.4.19-xfs-r2 kernel. In case it is of any interest, I put my XFree Config, Kernel .config, make.conf, XFree Log and quake log here:

http://wonkology.org/quake3/

Another slight problem ist the german keyboard layout, I do not know how to activate the console. I just use a different XF86config now, using US keyboard map. Not a big problem.

I also notice some graphic problems. I see no movies at all, except in 24bit mode, but there I only have software rendering. And I cannot see through portals, like in Q3DM7. But these are just minor inconveniences.

Alex
weird wonko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Quake3 freezes system with sound looping Reply with quote

A little update: When waiting some minutes after the looping effect started, Quake3 will finally crash with this error in the terminal:

mgaUploadSubImageLocked: flush ret=-16

I am back in X, with the mouse not respondig. But I can Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and do not neet to reboot.

Alex
leahcim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> mgaUploadSubImageLocked: flush ret=-16

This is most likely a symptom of the lock up rather than the cause. Once the hardware has stopped processing commands, programs that are
still throwing commands at the hardware will start to hit timeouts and trigger other errors (running out of buffers for example because the hardware never completes the commands)

This error is a problem updating a texture on the hardware.

Since you've got 2 machines, ssh into the failing one and startx from that shell, put it in the background and then start quake 3 from there, go to the other machine which should have the q3 titles on it, start a demo running or play for a bit, if it locks up, see if you get an error message output on the other machine at the time of the lockup.

i.e

ssh machine.with.x
$ startx &
$ export DISPLAY=:0
$ cd /path/to/quake3
$ ./quake3

You'll probably be just as well asking this question (and your Xv problems) on the dri-devel or one of the xfree mailing lists.
weird wonko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahcim wrote:

ssh machine.with.x
$ startx &
$ export DISPLAY=:0
$ cd /path/to/quake3
$ ./quake3

Thanks!
But isn't this just the same as quake3 >& quake.log 2>1 ?

Anyway, I tried your suggestion, and did not get the lockup. I tried it the usual way, and again no lockup, quake3 runs fine.

Whatever the problem was, it is gone now. Probably has to do with the new kernel I just compiled, I switched from linux-2.4.19-xfs-r2 to linux-2.4.20, with no changes in .config except that I turned off ACPI.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still want you german keyboard back, the console key is `.
(That is shift + the key next to backspace).
weird wonko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zypher, that does the trick!

Alex
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I had a similar problem(very rare) with XMMS that I posted about the other day, lockup of the X server and sound gets in a loop with the last half second or so repeating. Anyway, I'm posting here because the common piece of hardware we have is a MB with the KT266A chipset. Perhaps its a hardware issue related to the chipset? I don't recall being able to get any kind of response out of the system and the only option was to hit the power button. I didn't try to ssh into the system, but I'll fix it so ssh is running in case it happens again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: