make.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Assass1n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: make.conf Reply with quote

Okay so after using ubuntu for a few months and getting the hang of linux I've decided to move to Gentoo. I've found the installation pretty straight forward until now. I'm not exactly sure as to what I should put in the make.conf. I found the install guide not really helpful on the subject. So I was wondering I should be putting in it exactly. ^^;
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at /etc/make.conf.example
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only need to make sure that your CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are appropriate for your sytem, and that the USE flags are to your liking. actually, you shouldn't touch CHOST and CXXFLAGS, since CHOST is set by the stage tarball you unpacked and CXXFLAGS is usually made to be exactly your CFLAGS, so you only need to adjust the USE-flags and the CFLAGS for your system. USE-flags are a matter of personal preferrence -- if in doubt, just leave them as they are. the CFLAGS depend on your CPU, and there's a list of reasonable settings on gentoo-wiki.com (just search for "safe cflags")

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
oldcodger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
you only need to make sure that your CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are appropriate for your sytem, and that the USE flags are to your liking. actually, you shouldn't touch CHOST and CXXFLAGS, since CHOST is set by the stage tarball you unpacked and CXXFLAGS is usually made to be exactly your CFLAGS, so you only need to adjust the USE-flags and the CFLAGS for your system. USE-flags are a matter of personal preferrence -- if in doubt, just leave them as they are. the CFLAGS depend on your CPU, and there's a list of reasonable settings on gentoo-wiki.com (just search for "safe cflags")

Thanks for the heads-up. This is the exact information i needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: