Black & White 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Black & White 2 Reply with quote

Just bought B&W2 today, gonna see if it works or not. I'm hoping it will, since I couldn't really find a whole lot of info as to whether or not anyone was able to run it on wine and/or how to do so. If it works 'out of the box' so to speak, I'll report as such. If I wind up having to do some work to get it to work, I'll try to post a how-to ASAP for quick reference.
Xamien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, status report.

The installer actually started up and installed just fine, even with umount/mounting different CDs. Well, it appeared to, anyway. At the very end of it, a window spawned with Lionhead Studios at the top and nothing but a white screen in it. I can only conjecture that this was the registration window. The terminal output some errors that seemed to be related to the blank window. I closed down the window and the rest of the install seemed to close up just fine, right down to Notepad coming up with the readme.

However, I got errors regarding DLL files that appear to be tied to the Direct3D. I simply downloaded them from here and here, and copied them to wine's windows/system32 directory. Then a new error cropped up about ntoskrnl.exe being needed. After some reading, this seems to be a safecd protection copy thing and the wine developers seem to be in debate over what should be done with this. Obviously, this would probably require some fancy work on the part of the user or illegal options (I don't know if nocd is illegal for those who possess a commercial copy of the game like I do.)
I also downloaded the patches for the game from Lionhead but when I tried to do the first (upon which the second one depends), it came up with an error stating that the game wasn't installed in the system.

More will be posted in the future on this, probably. Others are free to add their own commentary about possible solutions and/or their attempts to install/play the game.
ruskie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget to fillout http://appdb.winehq.org/ if something is missing :)
Xamien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dont forget to fillout http://appdb.winehq.org/ if something is missing :)
\]

Yeah! Thanks for reminding me. It's on hold at the moment, either until I get an upgraded video card or I decide to try out a few things differently to get it running.
marcellus1st
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has something changed I couldn't get it running eighter, so I try to push this thread a bit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: